The secret footballer update

Anything yellow and blue
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re: The secret footballer update

Post by Myles Francis »

ty cobb wrote: I still stand by point, for our big signing of the summer, 3 goals and 18 games played isn't the best return.
True dat. Good job he's made 28 league appearances then. ;-)
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Well wiki needs updating then but according to RO he has made 24 league appearances, 3 cup appearances but despite all these extra games has only scored one more goal so 4 in total!

So an even worse return that I thought!!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I think he's almost given up trying to hide now
http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/arti ... cceptable/

"I was summoned to the FA headquarters to answer a charge that said I had deliberately and knowingly accused the referee of showing bias in our match. I was fined and, apparently, lucky not to be banned."

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfor ... FA_charge/
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

ty cobb wrote:So an even worse return that I thought!!
It is if you want to ignore all the evidence for the role he's played this season....
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Feel free to put forward your all that evidence, is it along the lines below?

Oxford United Stats

Most fouls - Dave Kiton - 72 (next player has 50)
Most Yellow cards - Dave Kitson - 11 (and one red card)
Most assists - Ryan Williams & Dave Kitson - 4

Kinda sums my view of him up, is effective in some games, but others he moans a lot and gives away too many fouls which leads to too many suspensions.

If he was as brilliant as some on here make him out to be I'd expect him to have a hand in more than 8 goals this season, which is one less than Smalley has scored all season, he also has 2 assists. Beano has 12 goals and 3 assists which in my mind makes him a far more effective player.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

I'm a big fan of DK, and think he is central to the way we play. He runs the show when he is on song, and helps to unlock defences with clever touches, flicks and movement. But his disciplinary record is appalling, particularly for a 'striker' and for one so experienced. While a couple of yellows have been for lumbering mistimed challenges you might expect from a tiring, ageing pro, a lot have been for winding up the ref or losing his temper.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

There are two rather separate questions here:

1) Has Kitson done enough for us this season (given his presumably high salary)? The answer is probably no, because he's missed too many games.

2) Has he done enough in the games he's played? To which, bookings and sendings-off aside, I'd say yes, absolutely. Sure, he's had a couple of off days, but generally he improves the team considerably. Something which I don't think you can glean from looking at meaningless 'assists' statistics on wikipedia. Or anywhere else.

And a final question - do we want him to retire or see out the second year of his contract with us? My answer would be that I would love to see him in a yellow shirt again next season. But only if he is going to stay fit and motivated enough to see another season out. And it doesn't sound like he thinks he is. Sadly.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Judging a creative player simply on goals and assists isn't really meaningful. The Luka Modric type of player (not that I'm saying Kitson is anywhere near his class!) tends to "assist the assister", as it's said.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kernow Yellow wrote:There are two rather separate questions here:

1) Has Kitson done enough for us this season (given his presumably high salary)? The answer is probably no, because he's missed too many games.

Agree with this and I think the same would happen next year if he continued to play especially with another year on the body.

2) Has he done enough in the games he's played? To which, bookings and sendings-off aside, I'd say yes, absolutely. Sure, he's had a couple of off days, but generally he improves the team considerably. Something which I don't think you can glean from looking at meaningless 'assists' statistics on wikipedia. Or anywhere else.

Again agree, his pass at Mansfield to Williams for our second goal was superb, it completely fooled their defensive line but Williams gets the assist because he cut the ball back for Beano to score. Kitson made the goal though.

And a final question - do we want him to retire or see out the second year of his contract with us? My answer would be that I would love to see him in a yellow shirt again next season. But only if he is going to stay fit and motivated enough to see another season out. And it doesn't sound like he thinks he is. Sadly.

Given that I think he'd play in about 60% of games and that we could get 2 or maybe even 3 hungrier, younger players for the same total salary who should be available for a higher percentage of games and may develop under us, I think I'd take a chance on them.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Jimski wrote:Judging a creative player simply on goals and assists isn't really meaningful. The Luka Modric type of player (not that I'm saying Kitson is anywhere near his class!) tends to "assist the assister", as it's said.
I'm torn on Kitson because of the same arguments that have been put across on this thread. I think Jimski's is a good point, Beano's goal vs Northampton at home sprang to mind immeadiately http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0017 ... 94254.aspx also our 2nd and 3rd goals from this game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCKPQMhYwWk
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Radley Rambler wrote:Given that I think he'd play in about 60% of games and that we could get 2 or maybe even 3 hungrier, younger players for the same total salary who should be available for a higher percentage of games and may develop under us, I think I'd take a chance on them.
We're not employing him for being young and hungry though - we've got our own development squad for that (and based on Ruffles/Bevan/O'Dowda it seems to be delivering) - he's giving us that experienced head, and that quality of vision that marks out the really good players from the also rans. His brain is still Premiership, even if his legs are Conference.

My answer to the question is that I'd prefer to see another season of Yellow Kitson, especially if we're going to keep Connolly as well - when they get going as a pair it's magic.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

So having watched Kitson carefully against York I must say I can't help but find this thread highly amusing. Firstly he is no trequartista, if anything his role was a regista, albeit one that gave the ball away a lot and moaned that he was fouled on a number of occasions. If I was being generous I'd admit he can spot a pass but his sum contribution was just not good enough. By playing him in that role we left Beano totally isolated and he just seemed to be roaming where he pleased. He clearly has class but I get the feeling he thinks he's too good for us and isn't willing to put in the hard yards and be disciplined as a player.

And to compare him to a player described as........a creative playmaker with great vision, able to change the course of the game with a pass, from both distances, or with a solo long-range effort. He is able to play with both feet, and combines this with his swift offensive positioning off the ball..........is one of the funniest things I've read on here for a long time.