Re: James Constable: Legend?

Post by Geoff »

Add John Shuker to the list.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:You can't expect a player in the Conference or League 2 to be able to play at the same level as a Premier League equivalent player, so it is unfair and pointless to compare on that basis. A player surely becomes a legend for performing well and consistently over a period of time at the level they are playing at.
But that's my point. Has Beano played consistently well enough at the level we've been at to be regarded as a great? In the Conference I'd say yes, undoubtedly. But since we've been back in the league? Not so much. At 29 he's currently in his prime, yet he's in and out of the team. Five league goals by mid-November is hardly prolific.

My comparisons with other players weren't meant in terms of the level they were playing at. But there was an expectation that we would score when a cross came towards Aldridge, or if Moody broke clear of the half-way line with the ball at his feet. I don't get that feeling with Beano.

I really don't mean to sound churlish, or to denigrate his contribution to the club. The biggest legend of the last ten years? Absolutely. But 'one of the club's most legendary players of all time', as asserted by the OP? Not for me.
Has Beano played consistently well enough? Well he has been top scorer in every season he has been at the club, he gives his all in every match. Not sure a striker can do much more than that.

As for Aldridge, he was exceptional for us, and other clubs as well, and at International level. Not every player has to have all that ability to be regarded as a legend.

League 2 strikers will miss chances. That's why they play in League 2 and not the Premiership. Being in and out of the side is at the whim of the manager, coupled with injury and fitness status and form. It is well known that Beano fell out with Wilder for failing to talk to Swinedown. And it is normal for any player, but especially strikers, to be rotated. Very few players play the full 50 or 60 games a season.

For 5 consecutive seasons, it is hard to argue that any other player has done as consistently well for Oxford United, with the possible exception of Jake Wright, and he will probably be regarded as a legend as well.

Surely the player who scores the most ever goals for Oxford United has to be regarded as a legend, whatever the circumstances, and I would be very confident of Beano achieving that status this season.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Snake wrote:Certainly in modern times i.e. since the turn of the century.

I can think of plenty before that, and here is my starter for 11!

Alan Judge
David Langan
John Trewick
Les Phillips
Gary Briggs
Malcolm Shotton
Ray Houghton
John Aldridge
Jeremy Charles
Trevor Hebberd
Kevin Brock
Off at a tangent I know but I watched the pre-match build-up and first half of that game yesterday whilst doing some ironing (I had let it build up rather!) and it struck me how many crunching tackles went in (from both teams) but nobody rolled around as if they'd been shot, they just jumped up, rubbed their leg a bit and got on with it! And when Trevor Hebberd scored the first he ran straight back to his own half with both hands in the air for a short while and within about 20 seconds (I haven't timed it) of the ball hitting the net QPR were taking the kick off. I've still got plenty of ironing left for the second half..
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

In my 14 years of supporting the club Beano is the only player who has come close to 'legend' status for me. It's truly a pleasure to be part of the club's history that includes one of the greats. Names banded around by older fans are like relics to me, and there is a lack of video footage to support such lofty claims (and when there is it's all mud, long hair and tiny shorts). I witnessed the last few seasons of Joey, but apart from moments of brilliance he was a fading star. So well done, Beano. I remember when everyone was thought Lewis Guy was our main striker, and you were brought here on loan. Who would have thought that a few years later you'd be challenging for our all-time scorer record, while your team sits top of the table above? In between you've been our leading scorer every season (I think!), and scored many crucial goals, in many crucial games, and pissed Di Canio off no end. I couldn't be there for the 100, but hopefully I will be to witness the all-timer. (Guys, just humour me that he comes on here and reads this!)
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

My Legend list, there is nobody before the late sixties as I'm a relative newbie and there are doubtless many omissions.

Billy Hamilton
Bobby McDonald
Paul Simpson
Joey Beauchamp
Colin Harrington
Nigel Cassidy
Hugh Curran
James Constable
Dean Saunders
Dean Whitehead
Derek Clarke
Ken Skeen (goal machine)
Rob Duffy
Graham Atkinson
Dean Windass
Tommy Mooney
Keith Cassells
Gary Briggs
Malcolm Shotton
Colin Clarke
John Shuker
Chrissy Allen
Ron Atkinson
David Bardsley
David Sloan
Jim Barron
Roy Burton
Alan Judge
Steve Hardwick
Kevin Brock
Micky Bullock
Johnny Evanson
Martin Foyle
Kevin Francis
Trevor Hebberd
Nigel Jemson
Paul Moody
Johnny Byrne
John Aldridge
George Lawrence
Les Phillips
Rosie
Alfie Potter
Dave Roberts
Matt Elliot
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I just checked out the 68/69 season which was my first full season watching United and all of the goalscorers that season are on my Legend List with the exceptions of Ray Gaston (2) and Barry Thornley (1)
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

A-Ro wrote:I just checked out the 68/69 season which was my first full season watching United and all of the goalscorers that season are on my Legend List with the exceptions of Ray Gaston (2) and Barry Thornley (1)
Calling Ken Skeen a goal machine is pretty over the top!

My list would be much shorter although I would include Dave Roberts and John Shuker.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Rob Duffy?
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Paul Cooper wrote:Calling Ken Skeen a goal machine is pretty over the top!
That was the song we used to sing at the time rather than a comment on his scoring ability.
tomoufc wrote:Rob Duffy?
Yes, I've already had that conversation, he did well for us at the time but as my mate says he was and apparently still is a lazy fecker.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Of course he is a legend, he was responsible for our first victory at the County Ground for years, he pi$$ed off Di Canio, stayed loyal to the club even with better offers on the table and Wilder trying to encourage him to leave, even when dropped gets his head down works hard and gets back in the team, played a huge role in getting us promoted from the conference, is proud to wear the shirt and is a decent bloke.

Oh and he is very likely to score more goals than anyone else in our history ever, has scored goals consistantly and depsite being dropped/injured in more recent seasons has been top scorer in every season since joining us.

I started watching in the late 80's and while there may have been better players, Matt Elliott, Whitehead, Saunders they all left when a better offer came along (and fair play to them for doing so) and were only with us for a couple of season. Beano is far more deserving of legend status than these guys, in fact from the late 80's onwards I would argue that only Joey tops him in terms of legend status.

Legend to me is who has had the biggest impact on the club, who was responsible for winning us games over a prolonged period? So for me Joey is No 1 on the legend list with Beano as number 2.

Joey would also top my list of best ever Oxford players as well, although Beano would do well to make the top 10!
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

No Jake Wright?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

JoeyBeauchamp wrote:No Jake Wright?
He's no Gary Briggs or Malcolm Shotton, that's not to say that he wouldn't make the list in the future.

Actually Mark Wright should be up for consideration as well.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

I suppose it's hard to define what a legend is - Dave Rush, Stuart Massey and Kevin Francis were all legends in my mind when I first started watching Oxford but their ability would never have propelled them into this list. Cult heroes and legends are different things, I guess.

I'd add Phil Whitehead, Phil Gilchrist, Bobby Ford and Mike Ford to the list as well
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

About half of A-Ro's list wouldn't make it on my list. I guess that just shows how we view the game and players differently.

Rob Duffy though? Really A-Ro? Legend? He was OK and he knew where the net was, but that's about it. I reckon you're trying to get me and Ty to argue on this one again! lol

Of all matches and players I have seen, and I've watched OUFC since 1980, Briggsy, Joey and Aldo would be fighting it out for top legend status.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

JoeyBeauchamp wrote:No Jake Wright?
Quite. He's performed consistently well for the club (better than Beano imo) for a good while now. He's been there for almost all the great moments that Beano's been involved in and remembered for. But because he doesn't play up front he's not a 'top all-time OUFC legend ever'. I mean I liked Rob Duffy, but the idea that he gets onto a 'greats' list ahead of Wright can only be explained by goalscorers getting more noticed than defenders.

Ceri Evans, Jim Magilton, Jimmy Phillips, Paul Powell are names I'dd add to the list off the top of my head. Maybe even Garry Smart :shock: