Have we ever.....

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: Have we ever.....

Post by Snake »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:I can offer 14 goals conceded to Merthyr Tydfil in the space of six months as my closest guess but can't claim to have seen any of the games!

Another question - when was the last time Welsh clubs won four bits of sought after Silverware in one season in the top five divisions of the FA pyramid?
Don't know about that one, but I have only just realised that when Wrexham's Dave Artell was sent off the other week, they appealed to the Welsh FA. They didn't overturn the sending off, but instead decided that the three match ban wasn't necessary, and that missing the last few minutes of that game was sufficient. This left him free to feature in the play-offs, and he scored in the first leg against Kidderminster.
Yet had it been a Kidderminster player sent off - he would have been unable to appeal to a different FA. The playing field is not very level.
Agree. It’s nonsense and an abuse of the fact that Welsh clubs play in the English Pyramid. And in an ideal world the Conference Play-Off final should be held at the Millennium rather than Wembley this Sunday as at least the posh seats won't look so embarrassingly empty on the TV.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:...in an ideal world the Conference Play-Off final should be held at the Millennium rather than Wembley this Sunday as at least the posh seats won't look so embarrassingly empty on the TV.
Not sure about that. It'd still be a 3-4 hour trip for Wrecsam fans to play in a stadium far too big for the game. Probably fairer to play it at a midlands ground so both sides have a 1-2 hour trip. According to today's South Wales Argus, Casnewydd have only sold around 4,000 tickets and Wrecsam only around 6,000 - so it ain't going to be much of a crowd. I had hoped to go (I watch Casnewydd from time to time, and say the playoff semi on Sunday), but will make do with watching it on S4C, so the venue makes no odds to me either way does dim ots gyda fi, as we say around these parts...
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I don't understand why they can't play the games at a neutral Premiership/Championship ground geographically between the two clubs.

But then I always thought that the New Wembley was an expensive white elephant (not that I minded us winning there of course...)
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:...in an ideal world the Conference Play-Off final should be held at the Millennium rather than Wembley this Sunday as at least the posh seats won't look so embarrassingly empty on the TV.
Not sure about that. It'd still be a 3-4 hour trip for Wrecsam fans to play in a stadium far too big for the game. Probably fairer to play it at a midlands ground so both sides have a 1-2 hour trip. According to today's South Wales Argus, Casnewydd have only sold around 4,000 tickets and Wrecsam only around 6,000 - so it ain't going to be much of a crowd. I had hoped to go (I watch Casnewydd from time to time, and say the playoff semi on Sunday), but will make do with watching it on S4C, so the venue makes no odds to me either way does dim ots gyda fi, as we say around these parts...
Good luck to your part-time team. I only attend Wrecsam games about twice a season (and that’s usually against Luton). The tickets sold do appear low given than the FAT Final had 35,265 plus me in the crowd (split about 50:50 with opposing fans) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21882684

Putting nation nationality aside these are two examples of fantastic grass roots clubs trying to get back into the League. Wrecsam are now owned by the Supporters’ Trust, Newport are a ‘Phoenix Club’ that went out of existence in 1989 and both are an inspiration to others. Like Chester for example, who allegedly have part of their stadium over the border between England and Wales..

Hwyl, and enjoy the game on ess pedward ec!