Lee Holmes

Anything yellow and blue
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Joey was much much better with his left foot than his right RR. He could use his right, sure, but was much more comfortable with his left.
You are right about Holmes right foot looking weak.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I recall Denis Smith saying he liked wingers playing on the 'wrong' side, as they could cut inside and wrong-foot defenders. Who could forget the goal in scored against Barnsley in the 5-1 end of season win, doing just that?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:I recall Denis Smith saying he liked wingers playing on the 'wrong' side, as they could cut inside and wrong-foot defenders. Who could forget the goal in scored against Barnsley in the 5-1 end of season win, doing just that?
Or Joey's goal against Blackpool in '96.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:I recall Denis Smith saying he liked wingers playing on the 'wrong' side, as they could cut inside and wrong-foot defenders. Who could forget the goal in scored against Barnsley in the 5-1 end of season win, doing just that?
Ah yes - I was right in line for that. The Barnsley one, though, saw him cut in off the right side, come past a defender, then plant it in the far top corner at the Cuckoo Lane end. Oh happy days.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
Ah yes - I was right in line for that. The Barnsley one, though, saw him cut in off the right side, come past a defender, then plant it in the far top corner at the Cuckoo Lane end. Oh happy days.
Right Side London Road? My memory puts me right in line with it as well but the years do strange things to memories.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

When I played I always preferred being left-back to right-back even though I was right footed. Twas in the days when you were allowed to tackle, and felt it better to knick the ball away with your nearer foot, than swipe across with the other, which you would have to do if they went outside you......rarely got forward enough to worry about crossing (or indeed the halfway line) but yes it would be hopeful hoof across with my wrong foot (as opposed to a hopeful hoof with my better foot)....
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote: Or Joey's goal against Blackpool in '96.
Right Side London Road? My memory puts me right in line with it as well but the years do strange things to memories.
Nope - you are absolutely right (no pun intended).
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »