Who next?

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:GY and Ty Cobb both quote Beano's words, but both fail to mention the fact that Beano went to Bournemouth, spoke with them, and presumably got close to agreement. I have no direct evidence for this final statement, but if it were not the case, Bradbury would not be continuing his interest for a loan deal. Louder. Words. Actions.
It's not unreasonable to talk to other prospective employers who might be prepared to pay you significantly higher wages in a short career, especially if your present employers tells you that you are no longer required.

You can't then reach a conclusion of the player's desire to go, just because of talks being held, without knowing th ereason for those talks being held.

However, you can reach a conclusion that a player wants to remain when they persistently say that is the case.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Where are Bournemouth getting this money from to buy / loan Beano and pay his wages? Weren't still in the brown stuff financially not long ago?
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Re:

Post by Brahma Bull »

&quotx586&quot wrote:&quotBeano wants to stay but the club clearly don’t want him anymore.&quot

Or, perhaps, 'Beano doesn't want to stay at the club and the club clearly don't want him anymore'.
Your suggestion may be correct, which leads me to ask why doesn't Beano want to stay at our club anymore?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:GY and Ty Cobb both quote Beano's words, but both fail to mention the fact that Beano went to Bournemouth, spoke with them, and presumably got close to agreement. I have no direct evidence for this final statement, but if it were not the case, Bradbury would not be continuing his interest for a loan deal. Louder. Words. Actions.
It's not unreasonable to talk to other prospective employers who might be prepared to pay you significantly higher wages in a short career, especially if your present employers tells you that you are no longer required.

You can't then reach a conclusion of the player's desire to go, just because of talks being held, without knowing th ereason for those talks being held.

However, you can reach a conclusion that a player wants to remain when they persistently say that is the case.
That is all quite true. But is Bradbury a total dreamer or a dumbass, continuing to pursue Beano against ALL odds - or do his actions and his words indicate a door ajar with Beano? We do not know what was said between Beano and Bournemouth last week - but Bradbury's statements subsequently surely give us a pretty strong clue that Beano did not say a definite and final NO.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:

That is all quite true. But is Bradbury a total dreamer or a dumbass, continuing to pursue Beano against ALL odds - or do his actions and his words indicate a door ajar with Beano? We do not know what was said between Beano and Bournemouth last week - but Bradbury's statements subsequently surely give us a pretty strong clue that Beano did not say a definite and final NO.
It's called trying to unsettle the player.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

It may also represent Bradbury playing to the gallery. He and the Chairman are under some pressure after poor results and - apparently - significant player sales. It may help Bradbury if he appears to be bullish in chasing a target or targets, rather than conceding that he has failed to plug the gaps at the club.

If this unsettles Beano, it will not concern Bournemouth.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Something about some Russian investment in Bournemouth FC on South Today tonight.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Why, GY, would Bradbury try to unsettle a player he has no hope of getting? If Bradbury wants to play to the gallery, why not focus on a player he has at least a chance of getting? I still think there are more twists and turns on the beano to Bournemouth story yet.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

Have we reached the conclusion that Beano's present employers have told him he's no longer required?!

Clearly they are willing to sell for the price offered and whilst we may not agree with the club's valuation, I don't think we can say they are actively trying to get rid of him.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:Why, GY, would Bradbury try to unsettle a player he has no hope of getting? If Bradbury wants to play to the gallery, why not focus on a player he has at least a chance of getting? I still think there are more twists and turns on the beano to Bournemouth story yet.
If you tell someone enough times publicly that they are wanted and valued and could earn a higher wage and work at a higher level, it is entirely natural that they might become more interested.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quottheox&quot wrote:

Have we reached the conclusion that Beano's present employers have told him he's no longer required?!

Clearly they are willing to sell for the price offered and whilst we may not agree with the club's valuation, I don't think we can say they are actively trying to get rid of him.
No we haven't, I was responding to a hypothetical question, and this discussion has all been purely speculation.

I think the KT interview on Yellow World today puts this discussion to rest really and confirms the club don't want to sell Beano, they don't have to sell him, Beano does not wish to go. However all players have their price and a workable offer was received, and Beano went to talk to see what they were offering. It was more than he gets at Oxford, but wasn't enough and Beano wants to stay at Oxford. All pretty normal I would have thought.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

As I see it, there is only one issue here - why the hell we would let him go out on loan. All this stuff aboujt whether the club want him or not, how much he should go for, whether he is unsettled - it's really not important. If a League One or higher level club comes in for him in January/July with a bid which the club deem acceptable and if he wants to go then he will, and we will pocket a sizeable fee.

But if we allow him to go to Bournmouth or wherever, on loan it shows a total lack of ambition and resolve from the club, as well as a sense of disloyalty from the player. Presumably his defence would be that he needs to go when the interest is there, as otherwise injury or loss of form might deprive him in the future, but if that is the case then he should have agreed terms on deadline day and gone then. A loan deal for our best player is completely unacceptable.

As if Bradbury didn't do enough to mess up our club when he was playing here...
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:
Bradbury did nothing to mess the club up as a player. He was much better quality than most of those around him. He got ridiculous abuse even before he had stepped on the field at times. Perhaps his supposed unsettling of Beano is no more than some Oxford fans deserve.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:
Bradbury did nothing to mess the club up as a player. He was much better quality than most of those around him. He got ridiculous abuse even before he had stepped on the field at times. Perhaps his supposed unsettling of Beano is no more than some Oxford fans deserve.
Unfair to suggest that he messed the club up but was allegedly on a very high wage at the time and was brought in as a goalscoring striker. In my view ended up as a maybe average midfield player but not what we were expecting (I certainly wansn't)
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Given his reputation, wages, and the stuff he came out with, he was one of the most underwhelming players we have ever signed (and there have been a few).