MK Dons Pre-Season Friendly...

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote: I'm amazed (and slightly disappointed) by the attitude of some RO posters on this subject. I thought I'd be preaching to the choir on this one.
I think it is a known what my feelings are on this so you are not standing alone. (Well you might be because I'm not around for the fixture anyway plus I don't normally do friendlies.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotslappy&quot wrote: Cheating fans is bad but leaving creditors out of pocket is ok?
Who has said that this is okay?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:I'm amazed (and slightly disappointed) by the attitude of some RO posters on this subject. I thought I'd be preaching to the choir on this one.
a) We had a very in depth discussion about this only a week or so ago.

b) You seem to be advocating the rather radical step of picketing an Oxford United home game (ie dissuading people from giving money to OUFC), which I think might be alienating many people, MK haters included.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

I await the first post from the latest registered forumite - Mkdon. (Someone who actually watches them? Or a pro-franchiser already amongst our number?)
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: MK Dons Pre-Season Friendly...

Post by Snake »

&quotFantastic Mr Ox&quot wrote:OK, so it's been mentioned on another thread in passing, so who is actually going to boycott this one then?

I remember hearing a few people say a few years ago that if we ever played MK Dons, they would not go to the game due to the circumstances with how the club came into being.

Does anyone still stand by that view and will never watch us play them, home or away?
I won't be going to this one, even though it's at home and Franchise FC will make no money out of it as this is not the best example to set in terms of football in general and the Oxford community in particular. I'd rather go to Court Place Farm than send a message to MKD that we are friends with Them.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:So when our club almost died in the Conference yet Portsmouth and Plymouth stuffed the St John's Ambulance and the people who laid their pitch is not as bad? Cheating fans is bad but leaving creditors out of pocket is ok? I don't think OUFC can claim much grace from this, but perhaps our four years count as some form of penance.
Complete nonsense argument.

That's like saying stealing is bad and pickpocketing is bad, so we'll forget them both because they are both bad.

The fact is that the crimes you specify hold no comparison whatsoever, and whilst neither position is acceptable, no football club sets out to deliberately avoid paying creditors when it takes their services.

The fact is that Wimbledon FC was manifestly and systematically stolen from it's fans and community, through a series of calculated decisions, in order to deliberately circumvent the regulations to achieve a place in the Football League, in a location that would provide higher cash returns to the owner, as well as lubricated property deals in the new location and lucrative property sales at premium prices in Wimbledon. A town which had previously failed to support any football team grown there by the correct and intended means.

I will certainly never visit Franchise FC.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Why are the club arranging a pre-season friendly with this mob in the first place? Shouldn't pressure be put on the club to pull out? It's all very well having a home league/cup game - where the club has no choice in the matter - but actively arranging a friendly? Not good.
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

A reply from Kelvin:

&quotDear Brian

Thank you for your email and I am sorry our decision 'disgusted' you.

We did however speak with AFC Wimbledon about this decision prior to making it, as we have a great relationship with them. They had no problem with us playing MK Dons, and understand that they may in fact play them soon enough themselves. They appreciated our asking and we will continue to have the same excellent relationship with them.

They have in fact come to certain agreements with MK Dons themselves over certain issues over the past nine years, including memorabilia and I think the feeling from their board is that they would like to concentrate on their own successes rather than be hampered with the past.

Thank you for your long support however, and I hope you can see that we did not take this decision without consultation with AFC.

Regards,

Kelvin&quot

Personally, I don't really care whether AFCW have a problem with it or not. I do, and I get the feeling that quite a few other fans do as well.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotbspittles&quot wrote:A reply from Kelvin:

&quotDear Brian

We did however speak with AFC Wimbledon about this decision prior to making it, as we have a great relationship with them. They had no problem with us playing MK Dons, and understand that they may in fact play them soon enough themselves. They appreciated our asking and we will continue to have the same excellent relationship with them.

They have in fact come to certain agreements with MK Dons themselves over certain issues over the past nine years, including memorabilia and I think the feeling from their board is that they would like to concentrate on their own successes rather than be hampered with the past.

Thank you for your long support however, and I hope you can see that we did not take this decision without consultation with AFC.

Regards,

Kelvin&quot

Personally, I don't really care whether AFCW have a problem with it or not. I do, and I get the feeling that quite a few other fans do as well.
Fuck sake. MOVE ON.

If you have an issue, take it up with the FA as they ratified the decision for the club to become a franchise. I don't see you down the FA HQ every day with a placard, however...

*yawn*

Is it me, or is it the close season? It's like 'flu at night everything becomes a little more amplified when the lights go out.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

I think you should be focussing on the fact that our chairman took the time to send you a personalised response to what was clearly an emotive letter in a very short period of time. Many wouldn't have. And yes, I do think it is relevant and important that AFC are OK with it and think it shows great foresight from the club to ask them first.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Indeed, the fact that the club contacted AFCW is good, as is the fact that Kelvin replied quickly and openly.
What interests me most about his reply is the comment regarding AFCW playing MKD soon themselves. That may be reference to a desire to be in the same division soon, but it could also be a significant step on behalf of AFCW to put this issue to bed and concentrate on their own merits (as Kelvin suggests).

Not to say that this validates the FA decision, or makes it right or acceptable in any way, or that it should never be allowed to happen again, but it would be a line drawn in the sand by AFCW that we, as others, should perhaps respect and also move on from....?
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Very reminiscent of David Brent telling the racist joke in The Office, justifying it by stating that the butt of it (Oliver of mixed race) wasn't offended (when in reality he was just too good-natured to complain), then genuinely being surprised that others are actually offended by it.

I personally think that what AFCW think about this decision is of almost complete irrelevance, as Kelvin is our chairman, not theirs.

Needless to say this decision will stand, it just remain a most unpopular one.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I can't stand MKDons and was totally oppsoed to what happened regarding of the franchising of a football club.

But I can't believe that people have not moved on and that this can cause so much fury.

Sounds like AFCWimbledon have moved on- must be the pre season I guess.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote: But I can't believe that people have not moved on and that this can cause so much fury.
Why?
S*****n have been our loathed local rivals for decades. No one says we should move on from this do they?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotbspittles&quot wrote:A reply from Kelvin:

&quotDear Brian

Regards,

Kelvin&quot

I agree.

That AFCW are so magnanimous on this issue is testament to the professional way that club is run. That doesn't mean we should not be relentless in ensuring that Franchise can never happen again, or that we should no longer hope that Franchise go to hell in a hand cart.

Good luck to AFCW this season, provided it is not at our expense.