Support safe standing

Anything yellow and blue
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:
&quottheox&quot wrote:Got a response from Andrea Leadsom MP yesterday. She won't be supporting the campaign.

To sum up, she (or whoever actually wrote the letter) still thinks Taylor was right, that grounds now are much safer and more comfortable, the Kombi system won't work in this country, and that she supports Hugh Robertson who says the policy on standing areas should not be changed.

Happy to send a scan of letter to someone who knows how to post it up on here if anyone is interested.
Probably got one and the same generic letter from David Cameron.

Thanks for the next link, which I shall also follow!
I got the same from Anne Milton (Julian Clary look-alike) MP for Guildford. A bit cheeky as when you submit your own letter MP you are told not to copy and paste, but it is fine for them when they reply, and not just by MP, but seemingly the same letter for several MPs.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a ... ing-142847

A very interesting FOI response from the FLA, which seems to indicate that they are moving towards safe standing.

Well worth a read.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a ... ing-142847

A very interesting FOI response from the FLA, which seems to indicate that they are moving towards safe standing.

Well worth a read.
Interesting indeed, but I'm not sure how you draw the conclusion that the FLA are 'moving towards safe standing'?

All I can see is a copy of Don Foster's (excellently written) letter making the case for safe standing, and a subsequent letter from Hugh Robertson to the FLA asking them for their views on the matter.

I don't see a reply from the FLA (am I missing something?), although I would be interested to see this, as well as the (presumably existing) replies from the FA, Football League and Premier League...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a ... ing-142847

Well worth a read.
Interesting indeed, but I'm not sure how you draw the conclusion that the FLA are 'moving towards safe standing'?

All I can see is a copy of Don Foster's (excellently written) letter making the case for safe standing, and a subsequent letter from Hugh Robertson to the FLA asking them for their views on the matter.

I don't see a reply from the FLA (am I missing something?), although I would be interested to see this, as well as the (presumably existing) replies from the FA, Football League and Premier League...
My apologies, you’re right as I had rushed to the conclusion that Don Foster was a member of the FLA.

You’re also right in that they have not enclosed a response from the FLA to the Minister for Sport, or if such a document exists provided me with a valid refusal notice, so I’ve got back to them on it and updated the request on the website asking for it given that it’s unlikely that they would take 3 months to respond to a letter from a senior minister!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:You’re also right in that they have not enclosed a response from the FLA to the Minister for Sport, or if such a document exists provided me with a valid refusal notice, so I’ve got back to them on it and updated the request on the website asking for it given that it’s unlikely that they would take 3 months to respond to a letter from a senior minister!
No, but they might well not have responded before your initial FOI request was made on 21 October, which might account for it's absence from their reply.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:You’re also right in that they have not enclosed a response from the FLA to the Minister for Sport, or if such a document exists provided me with a valid refusal notice, so I’ve got back to them on it and updated the request on the website asking for it given that it’s unlikely that they would take 3 months to respond to a letter from a senior minister!
No, but they might well not have responded before your initial FOI request was made on 21 October, which might account for it's absence from their reply.
True, but do you think that will make me give up on the matter, put in another formal request, or simply do them under section 16 on the Freedom of Information Act? :roll:
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a ... ing-147349

They have replied. It appears that after all they do hold another document, though this time rather than denying its existence they are refusing to release it because it would contravene S36 of the Act as it would be &quotPrejudice to effective conduct of public affairs&quot.

So much for an open and honest society. Any suggestions on what I should do next?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a ... ing-108817

And on it goes. These guys are really starting to get up my nose...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I got a further update yesterday from the FLA regarding my long running FOI request, but they are still refusing to release the correspondence that they sent to the Minister for Sport when he asked them for details of the FLA’s own official views about ‘safe standing’. The current stance from the FLA is that their views on this matter are “not in the public interest
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Things have moved on and Andrew Smith is showing an interest in this matter from what I understand.

The FLA have paid for the services of a Barrister to defend their position and to try to keep things secret until they are abolished.

Seems to me like a waste of public money but time will tell.

http://www.keatingchambers.co.uk/profil ... rling.aspx
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... e-standing

At least they are talking about it.........
One Trick Raponi
Sperm

Post by One Trick Raponi »

Yay! And if loads of football fans sign the FSF's petition and contact their MP's they will have to keep talking about it.

The more they have to confront and debate the issue, the more they're having to back track on their outdated arguments against it.

At least we've moved on from the original all terracing bad, all seating good standpoint.

Crowd control seems to be the anti's latest obstacle to stop common sense prevailing.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

For those that missed it in the article, a new, national petition organised by the FSF can be found online here.

Please sign it if you support safe standing. It will take 30 seconds of your time.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: Please sign it if you support safe standing. It will take 30 seconds of your time.
Or not if it goes into a death loop and refuses to accept that you are human or have a valid email address.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:For those that missed it in the article, a new, national petition organised by the FSF can be found online here.

Please sign it if you support safe standing. It will take 30 seconds of your time.
The people at the Prem don't like this idea - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/12830836.stm

FFS - we are in Division IV and even Luton fans are not allowed to stand because of the really stupid rule that says something along the lines of if you made it into the top two divisions in English football since the police cocked up big time at Sheffield then you have to make your ground/stadium all-seater within two years.

And Kernow is wrong as it takes less than 30 seconds to do the poll.