Chesterfield

Anything yellow and blue
forza azzurri
Embryo

Re:

Post by forza azzurri »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:The law of averages says that we'll stitch them up a treat.

I'll put my neck on the line when it's hat league time, but I can't see why we wouldn't do them 2-0.

We nailed Vale pretty comfortably, there is nothing to say we shouldn't be competitive (apart from the performances of the last 5 straight games of course).

Do you really give us little or no chance up there?
cant see anything other than an easy win to be honest,,but we did lose our last home game (our only loss so far) 3.1 i will predict
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Stating the obvious - form suggests a very confortable win for Chesterfield.
But they do seem to let in a lot of goals - now, if only we looked remotely like scoring a few.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotforza azzurri&quot wrote:
&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:The law of averages says that we'll stitch them up a treat.

I'll put my neck on the line when it's hat league time, but I can't see why we wouldn't do them 2-0.

We nailed Vale pretty comfortably, there is nothing to say we shouldn't be competitive (apart from the performances of the last 5 straight games of course).

cant see anything other than an easy win to be honest,,but we did lose our last home game (our only loss so far) 3.1 i will predict
Just to be quite clear, my question was addressed at JoeyBeauchamp's previous post...who seemed to have hoisted the white flag already. I think this division is close, I can't see that there's any runaway class act - I can't see why it wouldn't be close, and I can see no reason why Oxford wouldn't nick it with a scrambled goal in the last three minutes, just because everyone expects we won't.
forza azzurri
Embryo

Re:

Post by forza azzurri »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:

Just to be quite clear, my question was addressed at JoeyBeauchamp's previous post...who seemed to have hoisted the white flag already. I think this division is close, I can't see that there's any runaway class act - I can't see why it wouldn't be close, and I can see no reason why Oxford wouldn't nick it with a scrambled goal in the last three minutes, just because everyone expects we won't.
if you play like stoke or bolton tonight you will have a chance but give us time and space and we will score 4 or 5!
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:

I've not hoisted the white flag, it was a flippant remark which you seem to have taken very seriously. Of course we can win, of course I want us to win, however i won't be even slightly surprised if we lose.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote: I've not hoisted the white flag, it was a flippant remark which you seem to have taken very seriously. Of course we can win, of course I want us to win, however i won't be even slightly surprised if we lose.
Seriously - me? Unlikely! But since this is a debating forum, for debating on, I thought I would reply to your comment assuming it to be at face value, for the benefit of having a good debate about it. Maybe highlight the text, make it flashing and pink to indicate that your remark is flippant and not to be taken seriously - and then maybe no-one will reply to it as such!

Anyways - my point is - I very much believe in the law of averages in football, and think I would emphasise the mirror image of your remarks - of course we should lose, everyone expects us to lose - I just won't be even slightly surprised if we win!

Can't see the point in this eternal pessism! C'arn you yellows!
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotforza azzurri&quot wrote:cant see anything other than an easy win to be honest,
I just wish I'd shared your confidence beforehand, but...oh me of little faith, you were absolutely right! I particularly didn't realise just exactly HOW easy the win would be.

Right back on course now boys, one brings two brings three...
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotforza azzurri&quot wrote:if you play like stoke or bolton tonight you will have a chance but give us time and space and we will score 4 or 5!
I didn't go tonight but I suspect that we didn't play like Stoke or Bolton and I suspect that you gave us the room to play that you wanted for yourselves.

Big mistake.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
I didn't go tonight but I suspect that we didn't play like Stoke or Bolton and I suspect that you gave us the room to play that you wanted for yourselves.

Big mistake.
I did go last night and we did not play like Stoke or Bolton. (Bolton ??? - Allardyce's Bolton or Owen Coyle's Bolton ???. Two very different beasts)

First half we were better than we had been on Saturday but I thought Chesterfield were superior by a noticable distance. They made better use of possession and attacked with more zip than we were doing. But as my mate had said &quotif we get through to half time only one goal down we'll be ok&quot. We did and we were.
Walking to the ground (and this took a long time having initially walked completely the wrong way on leaving the Chesterfield Arms) I had felt extremely optimistic and had declared an away victory. At 4/1 pity I didn't put my money where my mouth is.

In the second half the football we played was the best we have come up with for ages. Keeping the ball under control on the floor, passing and movement and decent balls in to the box. Chesterfield play football and let the opposition do likewise and in this period we were better at it than they were. Having said that over 90 mins it would have been hard to begrudge them a point particularly given Davies's miss from a couple of feet out at the death.

No one let us down last night. Motm for me though was Simon Clist. He was everywhere, closing down well and I cannot once remember him giving the ball away. MacLean was obviously influential, and I thought Asa Hall had perhaps his best game to date.
In defence Worley was immense and Futcher deserves much credit too having been justifiably much critisised after his first two performances.

Question now is, can we keep this going and perform in similar fashion against the more robust teams who niggle, time waste and break the game up.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Having not seem Futcher before, I thought he looked a very limited player last night but performed very well in an excellent second half performance. Heslop was superb secong half, and Maclean looked excellent. Even Asa Hall looked OK last night. It just shows what 4-4-2 and a bit of belief can do - the second half was fantastic.

Roll on Barnet