Talking bollocks

Anything yellow and blue
MillWhites
Sperm

Post by MillWhites »

When I saw the topic 'talking bollox' i thought Junior had his own thread. :lol:
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

The latest load of old rubbish is now on the Rage Online blog. This one looks briefly at the start of football in this fair County of ours.

Do feel free to post a comment if you like (that way I'll know whether or not anyone reads this crap).
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Oxfordshire beat the Scummers 4-1 in 1884.

Nice to see.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Oxfordshire beat the Scummers 4-1 in 1884.

Nice to see.
The last time we won there - I was there.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

So was I.

I recall having pre-match drinks at 1030am in the Roebuck just off Cornmarket.

Is it still there, or is it one of these ghastly cafe bars with distressed leather sofas ?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Last time I looked it was called Bar Oz or something and looked rubbish, although I believe it has changed to something else now.

Anyway, more blogoriphic nonsense has somehow made its way onto the Rage Online blog. I really ought to get out more.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

How do you decide what goes on the Blog and what goes on Rageonline? The Blog seems to be stuff not directly related to current OUFC matters, although the opposition previews may have fitted the Blog.
Also do you want comments on here on the Blog or both or neither?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

The blog contains stuff that is generally either not directly OUFC-related (like the over-policing article) or not news items (like the history stuff). Also anything on which I can put a personal opinion, I guess, although I accept that on some stuff there's a rather fine line. I think the oppo previews are better on the main site, tbh.

I don't mind where comments go. If forum users prefer to post comments on here that's fine, although I suspect that the blog has a significant amount of traffic that doesn't read the RO forum (maybe I should link to it from the sidebar?) so they obviously wouldn't see comments posted on here. But like I say, it doesn't matter to me just as long as there is some sort of debate.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Please can Mr Administrator put a blog hyperlink on the main site or on the forum page. Thank you
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is a link to the Blog on the main site, surprisingly it's on the links page. However, I take your point and will put a link on one of the drop-down menus.

Thanks for the feedback.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Great thank you. I like the blog, and think it deserves its own button on the Rageonline homepage.

I am wondering if the blog has any thoughts on the Premiership's new homegrown players rule? Interesting piece in the Guardian on this today.

Clubs will be forced to include eight homegrown (have been trained at English or Welsh clubs for three years before the end of the season at which they become 21) in a senior squad of 25. Also they can have an unlimited number of U21s. (Why Welsh though? and not Scottish or Irish or Northern Ireland)

I am wondering if this may have a trickle down effect to the lower leagues, as the Premiership clubs go searching for these homegrown players to fill their quota. Or perhaps may the opposite happen, in that foreign players end up moving down the leagues as they find they can't get a place in the Premiership?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Thanks for the heads-up on the article, Slappy. Your wish has been answered, and the Rage Online opinion has now been duly blogged. Feel free to comment on our comments (although you know we're right).
Matthewjbutler
Brat

Re:

Post by Matthewjbutler »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:Great thank you. I like the blog, and think it deserves its own button on the Rageonline homepage.

I am wondering if the blog has any thoughts on the Premiership's new homegrown players rule? Interesting piece in the Guardian on this today.

Clubs will be forced to include eight homegrown (have been trained at English or Welsh clubs for three years before the end of the season at which they become 21) in a senior squad of 25. Also they can have an unlimited number of U21s. (Why Welsh though? and not Scottish or Irish or Northern Ireland)

I am wondering if this may have a trickle down effect to the lower leagues, as the Premiership clubs go searching for these homegrown players to fill their quota. Or perhaps may the opposite happen, in that foreign players end up moving down the leagues as they find they can't get a place in the Premiership?
I thought the most interesting point for teams like Oxford was the one on the possible lack of big team loans to smaller clubs. Where big clubs will want young players on call in case of injuries, it is unlikely clubs like Oxford would be able to get a 3 or 6 month loan without a clause which means they can return at any point.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Just seen this from the opening blog

&quotWelcome to the new Rage Online Web Log. This is where we will post items of interest from around the internet. These may not necessarily be about Oxford United, and may not even be about football, but it will all be stuff that we think is worth sharing.&quot

I see in the first month (August 2002) there were posts about goal line technology, winter breaks and transfer windows. Plus ca change!

I prefer the forum based debate, perhaps because it is more read, but also that you can edit your post for mistakes. Perhaps each blog topic could get a separate thread on here for discussion?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Feb 2005 also included a blog about clubs' &quotA&quot squads and &quotforeign&quot players. What goes around comes around, (5 years later)