Fixture congestion

Anything yellow and blue
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Isn't part of the problem that players will only be contracted until the end of the season. So we could be in a situation where the season is extended, but players are ooc?
I thought they are contracted to 30 June each year. It was only under Kassam that he tried the cheapskate of shortening them.
Why is it that under Kassam it was him being a cheapskate, but under WPL they are simply being careful with the finances?
I did wonder how long it would take you to have a nibble at that... :twisted:
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Isn't part of the problem that players will only be contracted until the end of the season. So we could be in a situation where the season is extended, but players are ooc?
I thought they are contracted to 30 June each year. It was only under Kassam that he tried the cheapskate of shortening them.
Why is it that under Kassam it was him being a cheapskate, but under WPL they are simply being careful with the finances?
I wasn't (and still am not) aware that WPL are offering contracts to end of playing season only.

If WPL are doing the same, then they are being cheapskate as well.

You should know by now that I treat everyone equally.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quottheox&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: I thought they are contracted to 30 June each year. It was only under Kassam that he tried the cheapskate of shortening them.
I did wonder how long it would take you to have a nibble at that... :twisted:
:lol: Why? :shock:
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Isn't it wierd how we presently (and FAT pending) have two free Saturdays 6th &amp 20th March, yet all this congestion?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

The 20th is only free cos we're playing on the 21st, innit.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Isn't it wierd how we presently (and FAT pending) have two free Saturdays 6th &amp 20th March, yet all this congestion?
This free Saturday in the season is looking an(other) ever more farcical decision by the Conference.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Was it an actual decision by the Conference, or was it just incompetence when it came to compiling the fixtures? I've a feeling it was the latter. Don't they compile the fixtures manually, rather than doing the sensible thing and using some software to do it for them?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotboris&quot wrote:The 20th is only free cos we're playing on the 21st, innit.
Oh yeah! :oops:
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Isn't it wierd how we presently (and FAT pending) have two free Saturdays 6th &amp 20th March, yet all this congestion?
This free Saturday in the season is looking an(other) ever more farcical decision by the Conference.
It's something to do with the smaller clubs wanting to do the longer trips at a weekend because their part time players couldn't get time off work during the week. So once the Conference administrators had bowed to the requests of the minnows they then set about filling in the rest of the fixtures and there were some Saturdays left over. Tail wagging the dog springs to mind.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote: It's something to do with the smaller clubs wanting to do the longer trips at a weekend because their part time players couldn't get time off work during the week. So once the Conference administrators had bowed to the requests of the minnows they then set about filling in the rest of the fixtures and there were some Saturdays left over. Tail wagging the dog springs to mind.
I don't have a problem with that - in fact I think it's admirable that they're prepared to look after the interests of the smaller clubs - but I'm sure that if they compiled the fixtures using software (an off-the-shelf programme would do it - they could probably even get a freeware one) then they could have catered to those needs without still fucking it up for the other clubs.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Isn't it then rather stupid to adopt a policy of arranging local derby's on public holidays, whilst at the same time trying to arrange distant fixtures to avoid midweek congestion?

They can't have their cake and eat it.

Organising distant games at times when most supporters will be able to make the games more easily, which in turn means part time players would find it easier, seems to me to be the sensible approach.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Isn't it then rather stupid to adopt a policy of arranging local derby's on public holidays?
Probably not because public transport is usually very restricted on a public holiday.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Isn't it then rather stupid to adopt a policy of arranging local derby's on public holidays?
Probably not because public transport is usually very restricted on a public holiday.
Not that much, and the vast majority travel by car anyway.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
Is that true of longer distances? I would have thought that the longer the journey the more likely someone is to go by public transport. That certainly applies to me and my group of friends.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote: Probably not because public transport is usually very restricted on a public holiday.
Is that true of longer distances? I would have thought that the longer the journey the more likely someone is to go by public transport. That certainly applies to me and my group of friends.
One could equally argue that Saturday services of public transport aren't as good as midweek.

And on public holidays because there is no work, supporters have more time to get to their destination, so reduced service isn't a big issue.

I think even on longer journeys, most will go by car anyway.