Pulling out all the stops....

Anything yellow and blue
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

I agree, Game should be on.

Going to cost the clubs lots, not good at all.

It's happened before, how can the club ensure it doesn't again?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

At least I get maximum points in the HAT. First time that has ever been achieved, surely?
Frank
Puberty

Re:

Post by Frank »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:I agree, Game should be on.

Get an owner who gives a toss about football and who would have sanctioned the £1k (guess) to have ensured the game was on.

Tin-pot!
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotFrank&quot wrote:

Get an owner who gives a toss about football and who would have sanctioned the £1k (guess) to have ensured the game was on.

Tin-pot!
How would £1000 have made the difference? Even if it could have I'm sure Kelvin has more than enough authority to spend a lot more than that and therefore it has nothing to do with the owners interest. To be fair he has a season ticket at Liverpool so he may give something of a toss for football.

Everybody is extremely pissed off that the game was called off but I don't agree with searching for scapegoats and finding somebody to blame. Sometimes in lower leagues and non-league (where we play) in the winter months this sort of thing happens and it's due to the climate and the weather.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotMally&quot wrote: Everybody is extremely pissed off that the game was called off.
Not everyone. I've just got back from visiting family in Clacton (painful at times) and logged onto the internet to read what I've missed today.

Karma...
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:29 pm
&quotMally&quot wrote:Forecast in Oxford from now until 3:00pm on Saturday is consistantly above freezing. With 7 degrees and showers for the game. No chance of it being off due to weather conditions.
Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:19 pm
&quotMally&quot wrote:Everybody is extremely pissed off that the game was called off but I don't agree with searching for scapegoats and finding somebody to blame. Sometimes in lower leagues and non-league (where we play) in the winter months this sort of thing happens and it's due to the climate and the weather.
The word scaspegoat is often used when someone wants a true culprit to be regarded as unfairly treated, when in fact they deserve blame.

It is important to find out the cause of the problem here to ensure it doesn't happen again, and if possible to sort out restitution. The club will lose more than 4,000 ticket sales as a result of this catastrophe, maybe even 5,000 ticket sales. That equates to circa £75k. On top of that will be the costs of putting on the match which will have to be repeated, on top of that lost ancillary sales, and lost interest on loss of revenue. The bill will no doubt exceed £100k, which is sufficient to fund maybe 3 top quality players at this level. And all that ignores the deflation that the club and supporters will feel after allt he effort to big up the game and create the huge level of interest.

It is becoming clearer that proper pitch covers were not used and that insufficent man hours were put into the pitch in advance of the game.

Stadco are responsible for preparing the pitch. The conditions for preparing the pitch were not a problem. Therefore the fault is with Stadco.

As head of Stadco, Kassam has to take responsibility for a catastrophic failure of their primary purpose.

Clearly, if pitch covers had been provided, the pitch could have been made playable more easily. Clearly if more man hours had been provided, the playability could have been managed more easily. Were the groundsmen up to the job? These are all serious serious questions for Kassam to answer.

Would this have happeend if the stadium company and football club were under common control? Of course not. Which means that Stadco didn't perform as it should have.
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank
Puberty

Re:

Post by Frank »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotFrank&quot wrote:

Tin-pot!
How would £1000 have made the difference? Even if it could have I'm sure Kelvin has more than enough authority to spend a lot more than that and therefore it has nothing to do with the owners interest. To be fair he has a season ticket at Liverpool so he may give something of a toss for football.

Everybody is extremely pissed off that the game was called off but I don't agree with searching for scapegoats and finding somebody to blame. Sometimes in lower leagues and non-league (where we play) in the winter months this sort of thing happens and it's due to the climate and the weather.
£1000 was an estimate of the fee levied by StadCo to have someone open up for the groundstaff on Xmas Day, which of course they didn't and that has almost certainly lost OUFC £50 to £70k.

Having a season ticket might mean he cares a little about Liverpool, but he cares nowt for OUFC in the way you and I do.

Don't want scapegoats, but an investigation is needed to ensure it doesn't happen again.