'A Historic Speech' vs 'An Historic Speech'

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:Preceding 'h' words with 'an' is just an ostentatious affectation in my opinion.

'An hotel'. Really, I ask you.
To me, both orally and aurally &quotan 'otel&quot works better than &quota hotel&quot and &quota[y] hotel&quot (ie with either a short or long 'a'). It is smoother in sound and rolls off the tongue easier - and could therefore reasonably be considered the antithesis of an ostentatious affectation. Unless merely thinking of such things is ostentatious.....
Well then, either you're dropping your h's, or pretending to be French. I'd consider the latter an ostentatious affectation. The former is merely vulgar :wink:
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Roo »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:Preceding 'h' words with 'an' is just an ostentatious affectation in my opinion.

To me, both orally and aurally &quotan 'otel&quot works better than &quota hotel&quot and &quota[y] hotel&quot (ie with either a short or long 'a'). It is smoother in sound and rolls off the tongue easier - and could therefore reasonably be considered the antithesis of an ostentatious affectation. Unless merely thinking of such things is ostentatious.....
Well then, either you're dropping your h's, or pretending to be French. I'd consider the latter an ostentatious affectation. The former is merely vulgar :wink:

I consider both to be vulgar!
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

I hate having no football to discuss! or is that I 'ate.....
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:

Actually you are wrong on both counts, but there you go....
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

Its &quotan 'otel&quot
Mr Roper has it exactly. You write it unlike you speak it, and then it’s ok.

Plebs always drop the “H
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: 'A Historic Speech' vs 'An Historic Speech'

Post by Geoff »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:Sorry, completely random for a normal football forum, but this is Rage Online!

On the racist section of TiU there is a thread called &quotA Historic Speech&quot. As there are some forum members on here very well versed in gramatical correctness, could someone point me out the correct version of the 2 options &quotA Historic Speech&quot and &quotAn Historic Speech&quot please. Both are generally used, but which is correct? I would tend to use the second, which is why I queried it, but I have never claimed my English skills to be of a particularly high standard.

Cheers.
I'd concentrate on your spelling if I were you. :D