Potential new player rumour

Anything yellow and blue
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

According to the Oxford Mail Trainer has gone to Telford.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:AC, that's a bit harsh,
It's my job to be harsh! Obviously in the real world, I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt ... but there has been a long succession of lousy players here whose only qualification seemed to be a past link with manager or coach and it would be nice to think that it was possible to do it in a different way ....
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:
&quotIsaac&quot wrote:AC, that's a bit harsh,
It's my job to be harsh! Obviously in the real world, I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt ... but there has been a long succession of lousy players here whose only qualification seemed to be a past link with manager or coach and it would be nice to think that it was possible to do it in a different way ....
I think we're all a bit harsh. By all I mean the collective fan base of Oxford United. Ideally the club needs a new fan base. Over the last 10 years we've pretty much only lost fans. This means that the remaining hard core have a perception of how they'd like the team to perform and how individual players should play which is coloured by our experience of former Oxford players (which is always rose tinted anyway). Even the players we loved to hate when we were in the second tier would like like superstars compared to players at this level.

It's like we were Waitrose back then and we've still got a subset of those customers but we're now a corner shop and the customers (quite naturally) complain about the lack of smoked salmon roulades or a decent selection of organic french cheeses.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Yeah, but we haven't had any decent organic French cheeses for over 20 years. And while I think we'd all be very happy for a decent mature cheddar, it's very difficult to accept that the only dairy produce on offer is cheesey strings.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Yeah, but we haven't had any decent organic French cheeses for over 20 years. And while I think we'd all be very happy for a decent mature cheddar, it's very difficult to accept that the only dairy produce on offer is cheesey strings.
I seem to remember that when the management decided to stock a French brand, we soon decreed that although nice, it was not what we wanted and it was soon discontinued.
Last edited by Mooro on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Yeah, but we still have turkey twizzlers, Panda Pop, spam, and Nimble.

If Man United are the delicatessen department in Harrods then we’re a 1960s corner shop in Moscow that only opens for two hours every Thursday afternoon.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Yeah, but we haven't had any decent organic French cheeses for over 20 years. And while I think we'd all be very happy for a decent mature cheddar, it's very difficult to accept that the only dairy produce on offer is cheesey strings.
Some of us are not really even old enough to remember the Camembert. Its always been Dairylea as far as I'm concerned.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotscooter&quot wrote:According to the Oxford Mail Trainer has gone to Telford.
And according to Telford's website, we've signed two of their players - Rob Smith and Larry Chambers.

http&#58//www&#46telfordutd&#46co&#46uk ... x?news=363
Science Parker
Embryo

Post by Science Parker »

Perhaps we could get some new fans on loan. an ship out some of our older more expensive fans
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotscooter&quot wrote:According to the Oxford Mail Trainer has gone to Telford.
And according to Telford's website, we've signed two of their players - Rob Smith and Larry Chambers.

Yes, I read it that way when I first saw it as well, not knowing that Larry Chambers is their assistant manager and Rob Smith is their manager.

/

Anyway, it seems like we’re back to the familiar churn of player turnover again. And gelling, and building for next season, and..
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotScience Parker&quot wrote:Perhaps we could get some new fans on loan. an ship out some of our older more expensive fans
Now that is a good idea, but a better idea would be to brainwash all the fans so even people who only started supporting Us a couple of years ago would not recall that glorious season when we headed the Conference table for so long and by so many points.

That would help, surely? For example, I know I’d benefit from erasing from my memory my visit to Maine Road and that relatively easy 2-0 League win at Manchester City less than ten years ago. I mean, who wants that kind of Kaka cluttering up their emotions about our current state?

Meanwhile the big cheese speaks to his fans, and gives a nice video interview afterwards as well.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

And their website is designed by Stuart Massey...
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I saw Stuart Elliott play for Hull on loan years ago, and he remains one of the worst players I've seen.

That was a ong time ago, mind, and he only played a couple of games.