Oh..

Anything yellow and blue
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I think we should have a comment from RADMAN on Mr Clarke's efforts ... I've only seen it briefly on BBC's Oxford News (and on my mum's ancient TV too) but at first glance it doesn't look the worst refereeing decision we'll see this season, month, week ....
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

Clarke got what he deserved because, whether you like the laws as they stand or not, if you dive in with two feet you get to play with the rubber duck before the rest of your mates. There also was a case for the keeper joining him for the penalty challenge, I assume the ref didn't want them fighting over said duck?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotRoo&quot wrote:Clarke got what he deserved because, whether you like the laws as they stand or not, if you dive in with two feet you get to play with the rubber duck before the rest of your mates. There also was a case for the keeper joining him for the penalty challenge, I assume the ref didn't want them fighting over said duck?
I agree with Roo, two footed challenges are a no no, and every player in the country is (or should be) well aware of this by now.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:so, does anyone have anything to say about the game?
Not much apparently. Are we all pretending it didn't really happen?

My thoughts on the new signings, for what they're worth:

Haldane and Carruthers I was impressed with.

Constable looked like the same idiot I last saw at the Kassam in late December. If he concentrates on playing football maybe he'll be ok.

Hinchliffe did ok for 70 minutes. His kicking left a bit to be desired, but I was impressed with his handling and presence. Then he cost us the game with two errors.

Neither Davies nor Burnell seemed to get into the game much at all. But then it was hard to tell who was who on my screen, and I relied on the Setanta commentators until I got used to the new faces (or rather haircuts).

Wrexham's result was a bit ominous. I'll be fairly worried if we fail to win tonight...
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Haldane is very good, especially going forward, but he's going to have to learn to cope with having the shit kicked out of him all the time.

Carruthers was my man of the match - got forward well to support Haldane, and defended superbly, including two tackles that he had no right to make.

Hinchliffe's kicking was poor, and he was at fault for the first goal (although I think it's harsh to blame him for the penalty as he didn't have many options). I still prefer him to Cole, on the evidence of pre-season.

Davies isn't a winger and shouldn't have played there ahead of Yemi or Reid.

Burnell did well, but I think he and Murray are too similar and neither provide the necessary midfield goal threat. I can see Burnell giving way to Trainer later in the season.

Constable got no service whatsoever, and had McNulty or whatever his name was kicking him and backchatting him constantly. He should have controlled himself better, but it's not really a surprise that he lost his rag at the totally ineffective refereeing.

And if you're going to get seriously worried after just two games Kernow, then you could be in for one long season, as I suspect that our challenge will involve sneaking up on someone, rather than leading from the front.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:Just prior to the sending off Clarke was fouled and was obviously annoyed by it. The sending off was for a retaliation tackle. He's still young so the captain should be looking out for things like that and having a quiet word.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this is the first time either. If that's the case, the Management need to tackle this (pardon the pun) potential problem with Clarke now. I hope it's just immaturity and he'll grow out of it.

As far as the penalty goes. Yes it was a penalty, but if you look at the slow motion replays the Barrow player was clearly starting to dive before Hinchcliffe even got to him! Guess that's how it is these days, sadly. I also think the Ref bottled it as he should've sent Hinchcliffe off.

Ah well, roll on tonight.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotboris&quot wrote:And if you're going to get seriously worried after just two games Kernow, then you could be in for one long season, as I suspect that our challenge will involve sneaking up on someone, rather than leading from the front.
I said fairly worried. And yes, I'm fairly worried. Given that we need about a million points to get automatic promotion, and we haven't scored a goal yet, I'm not too hopeful. In fact I'm quite depressed, and seriously considering not spending the £100|| it would cost me to attend my planned first game of the season on Bank Holiday Monday.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

At least we're still not as shit as Stevenage.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

But things must be ok really, cos we did so well in the friendlies...
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:At least we're not as shit as Stevenage.
Lets hope it stays that way. Bottom would be soooooooo humiliating. As if we had not had enough of that over the years.