The Ashes - warning: contains Silly Point

Anything yellow and blue
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:They've got all the time and skill required to win this now. If we can stay out there for the best part of two days, with the Aussies sweltering in the field as our bowlers sit in the cool pavillion, we should have them done and dusted on Day 4, with maybe a hundred runs to knock off for Day 5.

Of course, this is England, so expect some serious snatching of defeat from the jaws of victory tomorrow.
Said the same thing to my old man earlier - we'll probably get out for 200 without them even having to bowl well. :roll:
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quottheox&quot wrote:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:They've got all the time and skill required to win this now. If we can stay out there for the best part of two days, with the Aussies sweltering in the field as our bowlers sit in the cool pavillion, we should have them done and dusted on Day 4, with maybe a hundred runs to knock off for Day 5.

Of course, this is England, so expect some serious snatching of defeat from the jaws of victory tomorrow.
Said the same thing to my old man earlier - we'll probably get out for 200 without them even having to bowl well. :roll:
Doesn't matter how well or poorly they bowl if they keep fielding like this they won't have a chance, unless we just leave a straight ball...............
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Punter looked like little boy lost out there in the last session. Didn't seem to have any spark of an idea to try to get a wicket.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I wish I was down under rather than where I am now. Not only is it at least a million degrees warmer than Engerland but it’s increasingly becoming a real and traditional sporting contest between Two Tribes. Another late night coming up...

p.s. I predict that the World Cup in 2026 will be held on The Moon, as Football has yet to reach that part of the Universe.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

There'd still be more atmosphere there than there would be holding it in the States again...

Disappointingly grey waking up in Melbourne this morning, and a paltry 24 degrees Celsius! Think I'm gonna rug up and roll back under the duvet again.

Adelaide is of course famously an absolute road. Hope this isn't the kiss of death, and I expect we'll lose 6-8 more wickets today - but I can't see that we wouldn't end with a lead of over 240 and at least in with a shot of an innings victory. (Of course I know fine well what happened 4 years ago in the same city but I can't see who's going to play the role of the bleached, mouthy, posing drug cheat this time around - Doherty? I think not). Cook for two doubles in a row? I think it's just beyond him but I'd love to be proven wrong!

Absolutely wonderful result at Minchery Farm this morning by the way, despite it being apparently just a single goal win versus a poor and struggling relegation favourite. Let's not forget what happened with Stockers in the same situation two months ago - so I think that shows decent growth. We may well lose more games this year, some of this consecutively - but hopefully the doom merchants are back in their boxes for just a little while longer....
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Melbourn is grey, I know I've only been there the once but there is going to have to be a really good reason to get me back there.

Is this a life choice for you BigCrompy or are you doing the expat thingy?

I would go back to Sydney in a heartbeat and Adelaide even on a cloudy day is looking good and probably worth a visit.

Well done KP it's been a while.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Agree Sydney is a fine city with good infrastructure (and a much superior winter game than the God-awful rubbish I have to put up with here), but heaving with people in the city centre and somewhere I'd only choose to visit one or twice a year. I get the impression frmo Adelaide natives that after three days there, you've seen it all (but what a fabulous venue for cricket!)

Regret I have now become an ex-pat after the previous government decided it was not preferable to employ English-speaking doctors in England, so Melbourne became my new home. Sincerely miss proper fitba' but not necessarily played in negative 17 degrees. Melbourne's greyness lasted all of an hour today and it's now blue and 33 - I've just popped down to the beach for a dip during the tea interval.

Wish you were (all) here!
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I don't like Sydney much, because it suffers from &quotsmall city that thinks it's a big city&quot syndrome. Give me Cairns any day - I like my beach bums to be bummy, not yummy mummy.

Back on topic - BWAHAAHAHAAAHAHAHAHHAAAHHAAAHHHAHHAAAHHAHAHHAAA!

Losing your wicket to Pietersen on the last ball of the day. Aussies left praying for rain. Life is so sweet at the mo.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

What an outstanding Test Match. England have been fantastic in every department. Get in there!!
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotYankee Clipper&quot wrote:What an outstanding Test Match. England have been fantastic in every department. Get in there!!
I particularly liked the four ball spell where Anderson got two and Swann got one and that was followed immediately by Swann hitting Siddle's wicket but the bails stayed on.

An early night for me so I'm not so knackered this morning.

Swann, Swann will tear you apart again.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

What a fantastic win. The whole team played well.

Is there any way back fro the Aussis now?

Incidentally Melbourne is a wonderful City. Sydney has the glamour- but Melbourne whilst not quite being 'the sporting capital of the world' as one person told me has loads goign for it.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:What a fantastic win. The whole team played well.

Is there any way back fro the Aussis now?

Incidentally Melbourne is a wonderful City. Sydney has the glamour- but Melbourne whilst not quite being 'the sporting capital of the world' as one person told me has loads goign for it.
I'm sure it does, they have the Australian Open tennis, the Melbourne Cup, the FI, there is the MCG obviously and I enjoyed both the river and the beach but I was there over Christmas when everything was shut and the weather was the worst summer weather for 40 years or something ridiculous.

First impressions and all that.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Tee-Hee I've just read that some Australians have been calling for the return of Shane Warne.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

According to Aggers on R5L this morning, that won't happen because he is flying to the UK for a few days to participate in some advert about hair products. Don't know how true it is, but it made me snigger.....
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

The Aussies are not taking this defeat very well.

http&#58//www&#46smh&#46com&#46au/sport ... 28&#46html