On This Day

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: On This Day

Post by OUFC4eva »

August 15th 1987

The U's kick-off 1987-1988 with a 4-2 home win over Portsmouth at the Manor
with Billy Whitehurst scoring twice. Tommy Caton and Dave Langan got the others.

United launched its telephone based news service "Club Call" on this day as a way
of bringing up to the date news to fans via a premium rate phone number.

0898-12-11-72 was the number initially.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/re ... -and-rants
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

August 16th 1997

The U's travelled to the Valley to take on Charlton Athletic in the second tier of english football
on this day 20 years ago. Charlton had Paul Konchesky, 16 making his debut.
United lost the game 2-3 with Darren Purse and Nigel Jemson getting the goals in a game they
were always chasing.Charlton's scorers were Steve Jones, Clive Mendonca and Kevin Lisbie.

U's: Whitehead; Robinson, Purse, Gilchrist, M.Ford; Massey, Smith,R.Ford, Beauchamp; Banger, Jemson.

Addicks: Petterson; Brown, Konchesky, Rufus, Balmer; Newton, K.Jones, Kinsella, Robinson; Mendonca, S Jones.

Att: 10,230
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

August 17th 1985

Newly promoted U's start their first ever season in the top flight
under manager Maurice Evans With a 1-1 draw at the Hawthorns.
WBA were managed by Johnny Giles.

West Brom took the lead through Imre Varadi only for Bobby McDonald
to head in a second half leveller from a right wing corner at the
Birmingham Road End.

U's: Hardwick; Langan; Briggs, Shotton, McDonald; Jones, Trewick, Hebberd, Brock; Hamilton, Aldridge

Albion: Godden; Nicholl, Bennett, Robertson; Statham; Grealish, MacKenzie, Valentine; Crooks, Varadi

Att: 14,626
Last edited by OUFC4eva on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

August 18th 2000

Former manager and legend Maurice Evans,63 sadly passes away on this
day 17 years ago.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

August 19th 1997

Ryan Graham Ledson was born in Liverpool on this day 20 years ago.

Happy birthday Lego!

OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

August 20th 1994

United win 3-1 at Ninian Park, Cardiff thanks to a brilliant hat-trick from striker Paul Moody.
His second goal that day has been described as one of the best individual goals scored
for United. Picking the ball up deep in his own half, Moody dribbled his way through five
defenders at pace before rolling the ball under the 'keeper.

United had to wear Cardiff's red away shorts due to a colour clash.

U's: Whitehead; Robinson, Elliott, M.Ford, Rogan; Massey, Smith, Dyer, Allen; Byrne, Moody

Att: 7,281
Last edited by OUFC4eva on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

August 21st 2011

United win 2-1 at the County Ground for the first time since February 1973 thanks to a double from
James Constable at the Town End in the first half. Matt Ritchie had equalised for the reds.
Midfielder Peter Leven with the supply for both U's goals. Sw*ndon boss Paolo Di Canio
was sent to the stands in the second half after contesting an offside decision too vehemently.

U's: Clarke; Whing, Duberry,Wright, Davis; McLaren, Heslop, Leven; Potter, Guy, Constable
Subs: Batt, Hall, Smalley.

Att: 12,113 inc. 2,707 in yellow.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

August 22nd 2000

Denis Smith gives Abingdon youngster Dean Whitehead,18 his full U's debut at Molineux
in the League Cup. United win 1-0 thanks to a Matt Murphy goal but lose the
replay 1-3 at the Manor.

U's: knight; Shepheard, Richardson, Jarman; Robertson,Powell; Tait, Whitehead, Murphy; Anthrobus, Omoyinmi

Att: 9,399
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

OUFC4eva wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:34 pm United win 1-0 thanks to a Matt Murphy goal but lose the replay 1-3 at the Manor.
Funny rules the cup had in those days :P

I'd forgotten that Denis Smith was still in charge at the start of that hideous season. In my mind Kemp was entirely to blame for the era of Jarman, McGuckin, Robertson et al, but Smith must have signed them all! This got me wondering where we were in the table when Kemp took over, and whether it was all his fault after all. But the site I usually use to see historic tables on a given date (statto.com) doesn't seem to be working these days. Anyone know another site which does that job?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:52 pm I'd forgotten that Denis Smith was still in charge at the start of that hideous season. In my mind Kemp was entirely to blame for the era of Jarman, McGuckin, Robertson et al, but Smith must have signed them all! This got me wondering where we were in the table when Kemp took over, and whether it was all his fault after all. But the site I usually use to see historic tables on a given date (statto.com) doesn't seem to be working these days. Anyone know another site which does that job?
According to this site, you can search and see that on 1st November 2000 when Kemp took over we were bottom of the table with just five points from 16 games (0.31 points per game). You won't need me to tell you that under Kemp's stewardship we finished rock-bottom with just 27pts from 46 games (0.59ppg). As a certain M. Brodetsky pointed out, Kemp managed us for 31 games and lost 21 of them. If that data is correct - or, just as importantly, if I've generated the right information from the website - there is a case to be made that we improved under Kemp.

But personally, I'm not having it. We started dreadfully under Smith, and IIRC he went to the London Road End after the home defeat to Brentford to try and explain the restrictions under which he was operating (which, in retrospect, were probably the result of penny-pinching from Firoz Kassam). But I still think that if he'd been given time and the same resources that Kemp was given, he might've turned things around. We'd still have been relegated, but probably not in such embarrassing fashion.

Despite some of Smith's summer signings (McGuckin, Jarman etc) being poor, they were free transfers as there was no money to spend. Yet Kemp was then given £150,000 to buy Andy Scott (and I recall other cash signings too). I maintain that Smith would've spent that money better and wouldn't have been as tactically naive as Kemp.

Ultimately, it was the lack of investment by the chairman at the time that was so crippling. Remember, this was around the time when players were told they'd have to buy their own bottles of squash for the training ground, and when one player signing from a northern club was put up at Heythrop Park whilst he got himself settled in Oxford, only to then be presented with a bill for accommodation by our money-grabbing chairman.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:52 pm
OUFC4eva wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:34 pm United win 1-0 thanks to a Matt Murphy goal but lose the replay 1-3 at the Manor.
Funny rules the cup had in those days :P

I'd forgotten that Denis Smith was still in charge at the start of that hideous season. In my mind Kemp was entirely to blame for the era of Jarman, McGuckin, Robertson et al, but Smith must have signed them all! This got me wondering where we were in the table when Kemp took over, and whether it was all his fault after all. But the site I usually use to see historic tables on a given date (statto.com) doesn't seem to be working these days. Anyone know another site which does that job?
My mistake - we lost the second leg of course,comfortably, to Wolves.

It was and still is United's worst ever start to the season. Kassam sacked Denis Smith in the October of 2000-2001
and brought in Joe Kinnear as a " consultant ".
Smith had pleaded for more time and was also ill with a blood problem but after keeping us
up at the end of 1999-2000, Kassam acted.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

August 23rd 1986

The opening game of the 1986-87 season at Vicarage Road saw the U's hammered 3-0 by
Graham Taylor's Watford. Tony Obi (who?) made his one and only appearance for the U's
with around ten minutes to play, put a cross behind the goal and never pulled on a
yellow shirt again. I am not sure that the U's signed any new players in the summer of 1986
after surviving relegation?

U's: Judge; Langan, Briggs, Shotton, Trewick; Perryman, L.Phillips, Hebberd, Houghton; Aldridge, Charles

Att: 17,720
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

August 24th 1991

After a difficult summer that saw United's application for a new 20,000 seater stadium
at Watlington Road thrown out by a government planning inspector and the departure
of striker Martin Foyle to Port Vale, United lost their first home match of the season 1-2
to Grimsby Town. Magilton scoring in the second half with the U's trailing 0-2.

Second tier United under manager Brian Horton, lost their first five league matches with
attendances dipping below 4,000 and the club did not earn a single league point until
mid-September.

U's: Veysey; Robinson, Foster, Melville, M.Ford; Penney, Magilton, Nogan, Simpson; Stein, Durnin

AttL 4,426
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

August 27th 1988

United open the 1988-89 season with a tough away trip at Elland Road, Leeds.
Mark Lawrenson gave debuts to defender Jim Phillips signed just two days earlier
from Glasgow Rangers, winger Phil Heath from Stoke City and midfielder Mickey
Lewis who joined as part of the Trevor Hebberd transfer to Derby County.
Lawrenson played Richard Hill at centre half.

Leeds opened the scoring through Glynn Snodin only for Martin Foyle to equalise.

U's: Hucker; Bardsley, Hill, Greenall, J.Phillips; Heath, Lewis, Mustoe, Rhoades-Brown; Saunders, Foyle.

Leeds: Mervyn Day; Peter Haddock, Mark Aizlewood, Noel Blake, Micky Adams; Vince Hilaire, John Stiles, Jacky Ashurst,
Glynn Snodin; Ian Baird, John Pearson

Att: 22,038
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

August 28th 2006

A hot August bank holiday afternoon in Dorset saw the U's travel to meet
Garry Hill's Weymouth for a Conference fixture.

Jim Smith's U's failed to perform and scrambled an unlikely looking draw through a Chris Hargreaves
last minute leveller. Earlier Gavin Johnson netted an unfortunate wind assisted second
half own goal - heading over Billy Turley from 20 yards after misjudging a long ball.

U's: Turley; Odhiambo-Anaclet,Willmott, Gilchrist, Johnson; Pettefer, Quinn, Hargreaves, Burgess; Duffy, Basham.

Terra's: Lee-Barrett; Tully, Vickers Downer, El-Kolti; Crittenden, Smith, Weatherstone, Elam; Eribenne, Nade

Att: 5,244