The Ashes - warning: contains Silly Point

Anything yellow and blue
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:The referral system, discuss.
Had to come in I think. England unlucky with it today.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Damn right, serves them right for calling dodgy ones I suppose.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Swann might be a great wicket-taker on a nice turning English wicket, but if he can't tie up an end on the third day at the Gabba then he becomes a liability.

Australia having all the luck this morning though. Just dropped a skier off Collingwood. :(
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

We have been very unlucky this morning. The aussie's luck can't last.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:We have been very unlucky this morning. The aussie's luck can't last.
If they get to 350 they won't need it to.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

The morning's bowling - 2.5 hours, 34 overs, 109 runs, no wickets :( :( :( :(

Going to bed now
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Never mind the review system - time for the useless Kookaburra ball to be ditched.

Still, should work our way - if Strauss and Cook can survive five more overs then it'll be just as useless and they can crack off a hundred for the first wicket.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

Wow! I'd written this game off and England are 305-1 at stumps after the 4th day. That's a lead of 88. Strauss 110 and Cook 132 not out.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:The referral system, discuss.
Had to come in I think. England unlucky with it today.
...but lucky with it today. :D

Bat for the best part of two sessions tomorrow, have a bowl at the Aussies and try to get a few scalps, draw the test and go into the next one on a high (and pile the pressure onto Ponting - mwahahahaha!).

Lovely stuff.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

ItÔÇÖs past 2 a.m. but IÔÇÖm ÔÇÿdoing a SvenÔÇÖ and leaving before this match has ended. At 439-1 in the third innings and all three of our top three getting into triple figures I reckon weÔÇÖve morally already won this match, even if officially it will end in a draw. Time for their lunch but my bedtime. Zzzzz...
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Blimey. Even on a dead track that's pretty extraordinary.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Declaring was stupid modern thinking. There's another test in three days time - should have ground their bowlers into the dust. There was no chance of a surprising quick win on that pitch.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

On the other hand, if they had picked up Punter for next to nothing ...
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:Declaring was stupid modern thinking. There's another test in three days time - should have ground their bowlers into the dust. There was no chance of a surprising quick win on that pitch.
I absolutely, totally agree with you!

I was dumbstruck when at work I noticed we were no longer batting, for just exactly the reasons you have stated...I was searching myself for possible reasons, but couldn't even believe that we needed to play any bowlers into form. Fielding form? The best I could come up with was the vain hope that Aus would open up with North and Michael Choke in a bid to play THEM into form, each would get a painstaking 30 and so cement their place for the next game.

I had been teasing my patients all day long with the threat that Cook had plenty enough time to catch Lara's magical 400 - and then I was completely let down by that erstwhile captain of Oxon Colts, Straussy.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:Declaring was stupid modern thinking. There's another test in three days time - should have ground their bowlers into the dust. There was no chance of a surprising quick win on that pitch.
I absolutely, totally agree with you!

I was dumbstruck when at work I noticed we were no longer batting, for just exactly the reasons you have stated...I was searching myself for possible reasons, but couldn't even believe that we needed to play any bowlers into form. Fielding form? The best I could come up with was the vain hope that Aus would open up with North and Michael Choke in a bid to play THEM into form, each would get a painstaking 30 and so cement their place for the next game.

I had been teasing my patients all day long with the threat that Cook had plenty enough time to catch Lara's magical 400 - and then I was completely let down by that erstwhile captain of Oxon Colts, Straussy.
If anything, we need to play our batsmen into form. I'd have liked to see Pietersen go in when we're 300 up, the ball's 60 overs old and their bowlers have been going for 2 days solid.

I expect Strauss got a phone call from a Murdoch heavy reminding him who pays the piper.