Fixtures

Anything yellow and blue
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Fixtures

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

All gone a bit quiet on here, hasn't it?

In an attempt to inject some enthusiasm, what games are we looking forward to this season then? Despite being a cynical old fart, I love Fixture Release Day. If you'd told me a week ago that in seven days' time I'd be getting excited about planning a potential mini-break in somewhere like Portsmouth, I'd have had you sectioned, but here I am doing just that, and also booking a hotel for the trip to Sheffield Wednesday and examining train prices to Derby. Non-football fans would never visit these places for pleasure.

What's on your hit list for the season ahead?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Fixtures

Post by Dr Bob »

So looking forward to popping over to Derby, only to see they have scheduled it for a day I am away with work. Hoping it gets moved to Sunday for TV.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Derby is the only ground I haven't been to with Oxford. I went there once when we had a game against Burton on a Saturday moved to the Sunday as Derby had Stoke at home in the FA Cup, and as I had the trains booked, I went to that match (as well as going back to Burton on the Sunday).

Sadly it clashes with Guildford beer festival which I have committed to going to, and it looks like there are already Championship fixtures on the Friday evening and Sunday, so I can't see the game being moved for tv. I reckon there will be some sort of takeover at Derby so they can start the season.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I was wondering when, if ever, we've been scheduled to start the league season in July? I've always rather resented it starting in August given sports clashes ... Couldn't find a relevant ad hoc query on the RageOn stats pages, can't find my Complete Record and haven't the energy to go through season-by-season.

Edit: seems not - can't see anything earlier than 3rd Aug.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Ancient Colin wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:31 pm I was wondering when, if ever, we've been scheduled to start the league season in July?
As I understand it, it’s because Div 1 and Div 2 are starting the season early and finishing it late to allow a break for the World Cup, and the Football League don’t want Div 3 and Div 4 to start later than the top two divisions, so we’re on the same calendar. The one positive from it is that it means fewer Tuesday night games because our games are stretched over a longer period.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Well I'm excited about having two Devon clubs in our league again. Shame both Argyle games are midweek (likewise Pompey).

Hoping to get to Pride Park on opening day - a ground the Us have never visited, though I did go there once with a mate for a Monday night 0-0 draw between Derby and West Ham. Long story.

Hillsborough would also be good, having not been since the Moooody league cup game. Being so close to Christmas probably doesn't help my hopes of making that one though.