Pick your play-off 11...

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Glad the responsibility for picking the team is not mine.
I too can't really see why so many have included Gilly. Perhaps for his experience but we know he is now knackered, can't run anywhere nearly as fast as he used too and is not the best passer of a football (being polite here).
Could never contemplate leaving Yemi out - but if 30 mins of supper subbiness were to get us to Wembley I'd hail Jim as a tactical genius.
I said in an earlier posting that Eddie had done his best on Saturday to play himself out of the starting line up.
Good to see Petts coming back to form at the right time.
Oh, the anticipation.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

I know Jim will go with 3-5-2 but 4-4-2 is better. After all, we didn't begin our recovery until we changed to 4-4-2.

Turley

Anaclet Quinn Gilchrist Johnson

Pettefer Hargreaves FosterM Burgess

Odubade Zebroski

If it gets to panic stations then change to 3-4-3 by taking off Gilly and bringing on Duffy. I would never ever play 4-3-3 as you lose both width and control of midfield.

Pedant alert! Pedant alert! Why do some people display their teams as if the left sided player is on the right and vice versa?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I think that we ended up hitting the skids because the opposition knew we would play 5-3-2 and were able to train agaist it and combat it. When we switched to 4-4-2 we began our recovery. Now our opponents don't know if we are going to play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or 5-3-2 so it makes it harder for them work us out in the run up.

sometimes, however, i think our players don't even know what formation they are in...!
Hoarse
Baby

Post by Hoarse »

3-4-3's definately the formation of panic and long balls from the back!

4-3-3's the way believe me!

I'd play 4-4-2 if I thought Danny Rose or Burgess could do a good job on the left of midfield but I don't trust either. And I personally think Yemi's a better player out wide than he is as a striker, so I'd play Yemi wide in a 4-3-3 and have him run his socks off as only he can.

I'm the only poster so far who's not included Burgess in the starting XI.
Mark G
Puberty

Re:

Post by Mark G »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Glad the responsibility for picking the team is not mine.
I too can't really see why so many have included Gilly. Perhaps for his experience but we know he is now knackered, can't run anywhere nearly as fast as he used too and is not the best passer of a football (being polite here).
Could never contemplate leaving Yemi out - but if 30 mins of supper subbiness were to get us to Wembley I'd hail Jim as a tactical genius.
I said in an earlier posting that Eddie had done his best on Saturday to play himself out of the starting line up.
Good to see Petts coming back to form at the right time.
Oh, the anticipation.
Ancient Colin said about what we would like but I selected mine on the basis of what I think is likely to happen which is why Gilly is involved.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMark G&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Ancient Colin said about what we would like but I selected mine on the basis of what I think is likely to happen which is why Gilly is involved.
Does anyone think Gilly should start or even be on the bench?
Mark G
Puberty

Re:

Post by Mark G »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMark G&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Ancient Colin said about what we would like but I selected mine on the basis of what I think is likely to happen which is why Gilly is involved.
Does anyone think Gilly should start or even be on the bench?
Personally, I would have him on the bench (if fit of course) as our options have become more limited without Corcoran. Plus I'd be surprised if Santos was fit enough to take part, so it would leave only Gunn as the alternative unless I'm missing somebody.

Then again if the formation switches to 4-4-2 from the likely 3-5-2 (5-3-2 depending on outlook) then it all changes.