Brentford ... blimey!

Anything yellow and blue
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Brentford ... blimey!

Post by Jimski »

The title says it all - I didn't even catch the match on the radio, and thought I'd misread the score at first. Sounds seriously impressive. Did Brentford field a first choice side?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: Brentford ... blimey!

Post by Hog »

Someone said at halftime that they'd made eleven changes from Saturday but I haven't checked and don't really care! Fantastic start, remarkable first half, tremendous performance from front to back and a brilliant result! Keep this up and we'll win the World Cup!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Wow. Just wow. That was the most confident, complete performance I've seen from an OUFC side for many, many years. I don't care how badly Brentford played, or how under-strength they were. We absolutely dominated them from start to finish. A brilliant way to sign off at a wonderful football ground.

It's unfair to single players out - almost no-one put a foot wrong all game. But special praise to Johnny Mullins, George Baldock and Dannys Rose and (of course) Hylton. Immense performances. Also Taylor looked a completely different player to the one who struggled so badly on Saturday. Although he could (and perhaps should) have scored once or twice though. 6-0 really wouldn't have flattered us.

I am trying to supress a nagging feeling that we might have assembled quite a good Championship team, but not a very good League 2 one. But worries like that can wait. Tonight was very special. Bring on the second round draw. We want our trophy back!
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Good Brentford blog on the subject:

https://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.c ... rd-united/
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

One of my most enjoyable matches watching OUFC for quite a while. Couldn't believe just how up for it we were. Even after the warm up the players went off sweating buckets such was the intensity. There was ony one team in it and the game plan was clearly to not let them play about with it at the back and knock it into midfield and it worked a treat with all three goals in the first half coming after they made mistakes due us closing them down very quickly.

Make up of team looks great against a team which wants to play football. Midfield bossed the game, wide players were a threat all night especially with the full backs getting up to support - can't believe the engine Baldock has on him, at one point when Slocombe caught the ball he shot up field calling for it leaving Roofe and full back.

Support was awesome as well constant noise in a packed terrace with a low roof.

Brentford may have a had a weaker team out but our one touch play would have meant their first team struggling to keep up, albeit they may have offered more of a threat as Slocombe wasn't tested once. Roll on round two!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

What a difference from Saturday.

At one point in the Brentford game I thought we might as well have put a sack of potatoes in goal and it wouldn't have been worried by their attack.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

On the Brentford website, it says their team was made up of players knocking on the door to get in the first XI, so it's not as if they put out a youth team.

As Kernow says #WeWantOurTrophyBack
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

It was a record breaking result apparently:

http://www.capitalonecup.co.uk/news/art ... 12926.aspx

Largest away win by a fourth-tier club against a club in the top two tiers in the League Cup.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

theox wrote:Good Brentford blog on the subject:

I like the thought that if you were a Brentford fan, you could have left at 3-0 down, and still watched the whole of Holby City, which started at 8pm.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Also noticeable was that we named an unchanged starting line up and subs bench to the Crawley game, and the three players coming on in both matches were Hoban, Ruffels and O'Dowda. What a difference in performance though.

Also not sure if it has been pointed out on here that during the Crawley game, when Hoban came on for Taylor, the players on the pitch were wearing only the numbers 1 to 11. Must be pretty rare these days.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

slappy wrote:
theox wrote:Good Brentford blog on the subject:

I like the thought that if you were a Brentford fan, you could have left at 3-0 down, and still watched the whole of Holby City, which started at 8pm.
I was actually surprised how few Brentford fans left early. Not that I'd ever advocate doing that but at 4-0 I expected a bit more of an exodus. I was just pleased it didn't go to extra-time and penalties so I didn't have to rush to get the overnight sleeper train back to Cornwall! In fact I had time for one last pint in the Griffin - sad to think we won't be going back there again.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

A great night - the boys enjoyed it.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

Care of Twitter (Rosie Moss) - Danny Hylton is starting to look like Brian Horton and Kenny Everett's love child
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Care of Twitter (Rosie Moss) - Danny Hylton is starting to look like Brian Horton and Kenny Everett's love child
He looks like he should be in Wishbone Ash or similar early/ mid 70s rock group. I love the way he's dishevelled and knackered-looking from the start but in fact never tires or stops running.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

For those with a Yellow Player login and a bit of time on their hands, I strongly recommend the 30 minute(!) highlights of this game on the Brentford website. Really gives you an idea of our dominance and the atmosphere. Excellent commentary too, which I assume was taken from their local radio broadcast and has been very well edited in - knowledgeable, fair and quite funny.