Patrick Hoban

Anything yellow and blue
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Patrick Hoban

Post by Yankee Clipper »

I think the signing of Patrick Hoban is to date the most significant indicator of the positive direction in which the club is moving. This is a player who was being touted by a couple of SPL clubs and by all accounts is a major coup for a League 2 side. It sounds like we have been tracking him for a couple of months as the Irish season was coming to an end. We have courted him and shown an interest and it has paid off. A good scouting network will stand us in good stead. I think both Hoban and Chey Dunkley are exciting young prospects who are joining a squad that is really starting to take shape and as MApp has said with genuine competition for places. I for one am excited for the future...
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: Patrick Hoban

Post by Radley Rambler »

I agree - a very exciting signing. When Hoskins returns, we've got some serious competition upfront. I think Tyrone could be on his way.
Steppers
Brat

Post by Steppers »

I agree

I think the most positive thing about Appleton is that he learns from his mistakes and its afraid/too proud to change his plans etc.

The early season loans were obviously panic stop gaps as he walked through the door knowing that he had little/no scout reports for perm signings. As said above we seem to be signing the right sort of player now, not all will work but better to sign on the way up than down.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

FFS - Injured his ankle ligaments in training could be sidelined until February...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Hopefully Will Hoskins will be fit for January.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Tyrone Barnett is now looking like a proper striker, just as we decide to let him go back, D'oh.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

We haven't decided to let him go back. 93 days is the longest loan available to us. We can go back in for him on loan, or permanent, when the transfer window reopens on 3/1/2015
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

SWA wrote:We haven't decided to let him go back. 93 days is the longest loan available to us. We can go back in for him on loan, or permanent, when the transfer window reopens on 3/1/2015
I think the club pretty much did decide to let him go back as we could gave extended the loan before the loan deadline a couple of weeks ago, but instead we signed Burns and Campbell.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Also, if all parties were really keen on the move, couldn't Posh cancel his contract and we then sign him as a free agent? Or are there rules preventing that? Presumably it would be impossible if Posh wanted a fee for him anyway.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

joepoolman wrote:
SWA wrote:We haven't decided to let him go back. 93 days is the longest loan available to us. We can go back in for him on loan, or permanent, when the transfer window reopens on 3/1/2015
I think the club pretty much did decide to let him go back as we could gave extended the loan before the loan deadline a couple of weeks ago, but instead we signed Burns and Campbell.
No, we could not have extended his loan. We had already taken him for the maximum 93 days - nothing to do with the loan deadline.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Kernow Yellow wrote:Also, if all parties were really keen on the move, couldn't Posh cancel his contract and we then sign him as a free agent? Or are there rules preventing that? Presumably it would be impossible if Posh wanted a fee for him anyway.
Yep, there are rules preventing that - to close the loophole you've identified!
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Myles Francis wrote:No, we could not have extended his loan. We had already taken him for the maximum 93 days - nothing to do with the loan deadline.
On RadOx on Saturday they said OUFC could've cancelled the loan and then resigned Barnett before the deadline.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

joepoolman wrote:
Myles Francis wrote:No, we could not have extended his loan. We had already taken him for the maximum 93 days - nothing to do with the loan deadline.
On RadOx on Saturday they said OUFC could've cancelled the loan and then resigned Barnett before the deadline.
That is, quite simply, wrong. Under the "emergency loan" rules, a player can't be on loan to a club for more than 93 days, whether that be in one continuous period or aggregated over a number of shorter loan periods.

Also, he couldn't be signed as a free agent as he wasn't one when the last transfer window closed - the same reason as why Hoban wouldn't have been able to play until January.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Myles Francis wrote:
joepoolman wrote:On RadOx on Saturday they said OUFC could've cancelled the loan and then resigned Barnett before the deadline.
That is, quite simply, wrong. Under the "emergency loan" rules, a player can't be on loan to a club for more than 93 days, whether that be in one continuous period or aggregated over a number of shorter loan periods.
But could we have cancelled his loan every Monday and then restarted it every Friday? Ridiculous scenario I know, but RadOx did seem to be implying that we could have worked around it by stopping and restarting his loan if we'd really wanted to - but that he wasn't giving us great reason to do that earlier in his loan.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Myles Francis wrote: But could we have cancelled his loan every Monday and then restarted it every Friday? Ridiculous scenario I know, but RadOx did seem to be implying that we could have worked around it by stopping and restarting his loan if we'd really wanted to - but that he wasn't giving us great reason to do that earlier in his loan.
No, because emergency loans have to be a minimum of 28 days. So, I guess it's possible that we could have manufactured a few extra days by having breaks after each 28 day period, but I suspect that the League would've found this against the spirit of the rules and called foul.