Big game at Exeter

Anything yellow and blue
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Big game at Exeter

Post by Jimski »

There's still some horrible stat lurking (which I can't quite remember) about the last time we won against a team that finished with 11 players...

Anyway, we were fairly decent last night. Howard was brilliant in the first half - his every touch seemed to find some space, and he was covering a hell of a lot of ground. Getting forward into the attacks, and then next second deep in midfield. The best debut I've seen for us in some time.

Hylton and Collins were others who stood out in the first half (and not just because of the goals!)

Our defence still looks liable to concede at any moment though. We can be completely in control and then have a horrible lapse, as indeed we did tonight. Not quite sure exactly what the problem is there. We also have a propensity to pass it around the defence far too much (including back to the keeper far too often).

Second half, with Stanley down to ten men, there was suddenly loads of space, and we weren't as reliant on Howard to find it for us. O'Dowda made full use of this space and looked quite brilliant at times. Yes, he's still young and gets things wrong sometimes, but suddenly looking a real prospect. And Tom Newey (yes, bizarre I know) combined with him thrillingly on the left. They made mincemeat of the Stanley defence on that side. A lot of it was down to having the extra man, but still it was impressive.

So, cautiously optimistic, but we need to drill that defence better.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re:THE LIFE OF BRIAN

Post by OUFC4eva »

Just relieved to get a win - feels like ages since we won at Grenoble Road.

It's typical that whilst we look exciting going forwards the defence looks
worryingly porous which is a massive concern. That there is a lack of pace defensively
is also apparent especially centrally.

A word about Riley: whilst he may appear half decent in the final third - his delivery is mixed though -
he needs to know when there is clear and present danger defensively. Letting crosses come in and not getting back quickly enough concern me hugely.

The positives - Brian Howard certainly looks an elegant and cultured player and will be a big asset in the coming months.
He can spot a pass, make space for himself and switch play to great effect.We knew he was coming off on seventy minutes
and I can't wait to see him against Satanage on Saturday.

Hylts look a great signing and big Tyrone will get better and better with games and young Callum O'Dowda
has done himself a world of good with a confident wing display.

A concern - What happened to all our fans?
Last edited by OUFC4eva on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yes, Riley concerns me. Not really sure he is good enough defensively, and while he has pace coming forward he doesn't actually create all that much.

As for the fans, when I was cycling down Knights Road before the game, there was literally nobody walking along there towards the stadium. It felt as though it wasn't a match night. But not surprising really - the second half of last season (including the way the club managed it) was enough to put a lot of people off, I suspect. And the start to this season would hardly have drawn them back.

We'll get more for Stevenage though, if only due to getting more than about 40 away fans!
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

I actually thought the crowd was quite decent all things considered. Only Plymouth and Pompey had more in L2 last night and the Accy fans came in a taxi - as usual.

Whatever some of the many nay sayers on the forum have to say about the current squad, (ooh, lets glory in how close Oxford City are to us in the pyramid :cry: ), you can't deny the level of entertainment is some three times higher than the Wilder era.

The sending off was critical - it was game over from then on. My man of the match was Newey - unbelievable energy levels - was that because the man he had been marking was red carded?

We had plenty of pace up top last night by the end and Barnett looks like he is going to be a handful.

A good night out - and ultimately that's what it's all about.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Jimski wrote:There's still some horrible stat lurking (which I can't quite remember) about the last time we won against a team that finished with 11 players....
15th February.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re: Re:THE LIFE OF BRIAN

Post by tomoufc »

OUFC4eva wrote:
It's typical that whilst we look exciting going forwards the defence looks
worryingly porous which is a massive concern.
I think Wright's days are numbered, unfortunately. He's one of the best defenders in League Two, but he's got a very limited passing ability. Mullins is better in that respect. I think in Jan, or perhaps more likely next summer we'll get in some defenders who know how to pass to keep possession and start attacks. I think that's what's keeping Riley in the team over Hunt, as well as his ability to get forward quickly.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Agree Wright is struggling for form after playing so well at West Brom
just three weeks ago. He'll hopefully come through it I keep telling myself.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Eric Pollard wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:
Eric Pollard wrote:You can't say the wheels have come off after two away draws in succession really, can you?

I wasn't at Exeter but saw some decent signs at Southend. It goes without saying that we have to start winning . I predict 4 points in next two games. We won't beat Stevenage. We never do.

It's lack of will to win and nous that worries me. Our midfield lacks in both aspects.

Well done to young Calum yesterday by the way. It's good to see local kids making their way in the yellow shirt again.
One of those two draws was against arguably the worst team in the division. I take it you've collected plenty of the straws you've been clutching at!

We haven't won a single league game so far, after 15% of the season has been completed.

We haven't even identified which wheels fit the wagon yet. We haven't even bought the horse to draw the wagon (I'll avoid the temptation to discuss donkeys). The wagon should have been ready to race 2 months ago.

Relegation would kill the club in its present form. And that is simply unacceptable.

Even mid-table is unacceptable, but we are certain to have to hope even for that.

If we don't perform and perform well and gain a minimum of four points from these next two home matches, I think that will have to be time called. We just cannot afford this lack of wins either financially, or positionally. It must change.
You honestly think the end is almost nigh because we've just drawn two games away from home ?
I will have a bet with you Terry. And just you . Appleton will be our manager at the end of the season .
Are you sure about that?