Big game at Exeter

Anything yellow and blue
Eric Pollard
Brat

Re: Big game at Exeter

Post by Eric Pollard »

You can't say the wheels have come off after two away draws in succession really, can you?

I wasn't at Exeter but saw some decent signs at Southend. It goes without saying that we have to start winning . I predict 4 points in next two games. We won't beat Stevenage. We never do.

It's lack of will to win and nous that worries me. Our midfield lacks in both aspects.

Well done to young Calum yesterday by the way. It's good to see local kids making their way in the yellow shirt again.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Eric Pollard wrote:You can't say the wheels have come off after two away draws in succession really, can you?
I think the wheels need to be on first before they can come off...
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Myles Francis wrote:
Eric Pollard wrote:You can't say the wheels have come off after two away draws in succession really, can you?
It's not like it's two hammerings though. Is it?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Eric Pollard wrote:
Myles Francis wrote:
It's not like it's two hammerings though. Is it?
First half at Southend had the potential to be one though, and Appleton himself said yesterday was probably the poorest performance of the season. We may not be getting hammered, but nor are we looking capable of winning games either.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I can hardly believe some of the stuff I’m reading on here and especially the board on the other side. Seems like too many people think that if they turn up and keep ‘believing’ then everything is going to be ok. Sleepwalking into disaster springs to mind.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Snake wrote:I can hardly believe some of the stuff I’m reading on here and especially the board on the other side. Seems like too many people think that if they turn up and keep ‘believing’ then everything is going to be ok. Sleepwalking into disaster springs to mind.
Exactly. A few weeks ago I asked the question about how long we can keep talking about playing good football without it actually delivering wins. Pretty passing football is all very well, but if it fails to deliver wins, how can it be 'good'? I see we are already four points behind Accrington, so if yesterday's game was crucial, then what word describes Tuesday's?

Apparently we have been in the lead in only 17 minutes of football this season. As Joepoolman says, the problem defensively is not so much the individuals but the collective defensive effort. I still have doubts about Long's ability to organise and inspire his defenders, but what chance do they have with a midfield and attacking line-up that either is not set up to defend effectively, or else involves players who are not good enough at defending when we lose the ball high up the pitch. I do not care how entertained the neutrals might be, if we cannot bloody win.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Agree we are too gung ho. Also concerned that he doesn't have much idea of his best team
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I wasn't at Exeter but saw some decent signs at Southend. It goes without saying that we have to start winning . I predict 4 points in next two games. We won't beat Stevenage. We never do.

It's lack of will to win and nous that worries me. Our midfield lacks in both aspects.

Well done to young Calum yesterday by the way. It's good to see local kids making their way in the yellow shirt again.
One of those two draws was against arguably the worst team in the division. I take it you've collected plenty of the straws you've been clutching at!

We haven't won a single league game so far, after 15% of the season has been completed.

We haven't even identified which wheels fit the wagon yet. We haven't even bought the horse to draw the wagon (I'll avoid the temptation to discuss donkeys). The wagon should have been ready to race 2 months ago.

Relegation would kill the club in its present form. And that is simply unacceptable.

Even mid-table is unacceptable, but we are certain to have to hope even for that.

If we don't perform and perform well and gain a minimum of four points from these next two home matches, I think that will have to be time called. We just cannot afford this lack of wins either financially, or positionally. It must change.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Myles Francis wrote:
Exactly. We haven't got going this season at all (in the league at least - the cup performances have shown what we might be able to do but have also blinded some people to just how poor our league form is).

Anyway, my comments above have nothing to do with Southend, which I didn't attend. But yesterday was shockingly poor. We were very lucky not to lose, and will end up in a relegation fight if we continue to play like that. 3 points from 7 games ffs! Even if we win our next two games one point per game is still relegation form. And if we don't win them I don't want to hear any more excuses about how the team needs time to gel. The time to start getting the best out of what we have available is NOW.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Kernow Yellow wrote:Exactly. We haven't got going this season at all (in the league at least - the cup performances have shown what we might be able to do but have also blinded some people to just how poor our league form is).
Yes, this is a good point. I wonder just how differently everyone would be viewing this start if we'd lost quietly 1-0 to Bristol City and thus not played West Brom. I suspect it would give some a more realistic picture of where we're at.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

GodalmingYellow wrote:

One of those two draws was against arguably the worst team in the division. I take it you've collected plenty of the straws you've been clutching at!

We haven't won a single league game so far, after 15% of the season has been completed.

We haven't even identified which wheels fit the wagon yet. We haven't even bought the horse to draw the wagon (I'll avoid the temptation to discuss donkeys). The wagon should have been ready to race 2 months ago.

Relegation would kill the club in its present form. And that is simply unacceptable.

Even mid-table is unacceptable, but we are certain to have to hope even for that.

If we don't perform and perform well and gain a minimum of four points from these next two home matches, I think that will have to be time called. We just cannot afford this lack of wins either financially, or positionally. It must change.
You honestly think the end is almost nigh because we've just drawn two games away from home ?
I will have a bet with you Terry. And just you . Appleton will be our manager at the end of the season .
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Oxford fans get what they deserve, they wanted Wilder out for playing winning effective football which wasn't easy on the eye. They seem remarkably patient for the shit being served up since he has left with loans suddenly being back in fashion and debts being racked up at a far greater rate than ever before.

Everything about this club is thoroughly depressing at the moment.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

You lot are so negative. We are unbeaten in 3 games (4 if you count West Brom at 90 or 120 mins). That's championship form and all because we are doing the 'right' things...... :roll:

Seriously though, 2 crucial home games up next. I know it's still early in the season but they are pretty much must-wins to give ourselves a chance of not being involved in a season-long relegation battle.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Eric Pollard wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:

You honestly think the end is almost nigh because we've just drawn two games away from home ?
I will have a bet with you Terry. And just you . Appleton will be our manager at the end of the season .
There you go again Tim, ultimate PR! You've conveniently ignored that all the other league games were defeats, and that one of the draws was against a team banned from signing players and is widely regarded as the worst team in the division.

Its not because we've drawn two away games, its because we've not won any league games at all and 15% of the season has gone.

You'll get skin rash if you leave your head in the sand any longer.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

theox wrote:You lot are so negative. We are unbeaten in 3 games (4 if you count West Brom at 90 or 120 mins). That's championship form and all because we are doing the 'right' things...... :roll:

Seriously though, 2 crucial home games up next. I know it's still early in the season but they are pretty much must-wins to give ourselves a chance of not being involved in a season-long relegation battle.
Its no longer all that early in the season.