Asset of Community Value Tribunal Decision - Monday 12 May

Anything yellow and blue
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Asset of Community Value Tribunal Decision - Monday 12 May

Post by Brahma Bull »

On Monday 14th April a Tribunal hearing was held in regard to The Kassam Stadium's designation as an Asset of Community Value. The hearing considered a Notice of Appeal submitted by Firoka following Oxford City Council's internal review of the listing in August last year which upheld their original decision.

OxVox were invited to attend the Tribunal hearing, the final right of appeal Firoka had under the legislation for Assets of Community Value. Today we have been informed that the Tribunal have rejected Firoka's Notice of Appeal.

We are delighted that the Council's judgement has been upheld. We continue to believe that The Kassam Stadium plays a vital role in the future of Oxford United, that it is important that the community's interest in this matter should be recognised in this way, and that the decision has implications for other football clubs and their supporters too.
neilw
Puberty

Re: Asset of Community Value Tribunal Decision - Monday 12 M

Post by neilw »

Can you think of a realistic scenario for when this might be of value to OUFC?
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

One might ask that if it is of no value to Oxford Utd, why did Kassam bother to appeal?
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

neilw wrote:Can you think of a realistic scenario for when this might be of value to OUFC?
any situation in which the stadium was sold in a way that may not beneficial to OUFC. potentially to london welsh for instance. or in this kind of situation.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

neilw wrote:Can you think of a realistic scenario for when this might be of value to OUFC?
Yes definitely (Matt has suggested one scenario)

It has also enabled constructive dialogue(s) to have taken place. It has been of great value already.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Kassam even jetted in to hear the legal arguments last month
so he will be pissed with this decision.

I suppose it means he can't sell off the corner plots at the stadium to Taylor Wimpey for apartments
as it will trigger the RTB.

The RTB will cover most of the footprint of the stadium and surrounding land.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Well that's put a smile on my face.

Not the first time he's been thwarted by campaigners either: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7030648.stm
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

OUFC4eva wrote:
I suppose it means he can't sell off the corner plots at the stadium to Taylor Wimpey for apartments
as it will trigger the RTB.
But who else is going to bid and how much? I suppose there's £15k in player fund (!) but really I don't understand why some people trumpet this RTB thing. Who's going to come up with the funds to match the developers? All it seems to do is delay the inevitable for 6 months.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Old Abingdonian wrote:One might ask that if it is of no value to Oxford Utd, why did Kassam bother to appeal?
Because when he makes a deal he wants it done quickly (as WPL found to their cost!) and not fanny around for six months waiting for a mythical 'OUFC and interested parties' bid!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Old Abingdonian wrote:One might ask that if it is of no value to Oxford Utd, why did Kassam bother to appeal?
The two aspects of your question are not inter-linked. The value of the stadium to OUFC has nothing to do with Kassam's appeal. Kassam's appeal is based upon the restriction on him to sell the stadium, or part of it, as and when he wants.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Does not the restriction on Kassam's ability to sell quickly strengthen OUFC's hand, even if just a little?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Happy to be labelled as stupid but I still can’t see the point of this cunning plan to any of the parties involved other than trying to introduce a possible delaying process that will simply run parallel to the lengthy planning permission process. The public quotes from Crofton-Briggs could just as easily apply to building a conservatory in your back garden as the disposal/expansion of a football stadium and its surrounding area. He’s the most senior planning officer in Oxford City Council (and someone whom I respect highly) doing his job properly but he’s not the final decision maker and the councillors who pull his strings may quote even more bullishly about this decision as they don’t have any re-election worries and fewer constraints. People like Price, Brown (and hubby) Tanner, Turner (and he’s a ref), Smith (and hubby), Clarkson and Cook spring to mind as long term Oxford fans. Outside of the ruling Labour group then there may be some support from Ruth Wilkinson (LibDem) and Craig Simmons (Green). However, even the aforementioned can’t influence or trump my local MP (and alleged Aston Villa fan) here in Witney so there is a possible political lever given the number of ST holders who must reside in his constituency.

As an aside issue is there any chance of a link to the tribunal decision papers please? Ta.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Because he doesn’t like losing, and besides, Ashwini was probably tasked to deal with this small bit of unfinished business.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

Snake wrote:Happy to be labelled as stupid but I still can’t see the point of this cunning plan to any of the parties involved other than trying to introduce a possible delaying process that will simply run parallel to the lengthy planning permission process. The public quotes from Crofton-Briggs could just as easily apply to building a conservatory in your back garden as the disposal/expansion of a football stadium and its surrounding area. He’s the most senior planning officer in Oxford City Council (and someone whom I respect highly) doing his job properly but he’s not the final decision maker and the councillors who pull his strings may quote even more bullishly about this decision as they don’t have any re-election worries and fewer constraints. People like Price, Brown (and hubby) Tanner, Turner (and he’s a ref), Smith (and hubby), Clarkson and Cook spring to mind as long term Oxford fans. Outside of the ruling Labour group then there may be some support from Ruth Wilkinson (LibDem) and Craig Simmons (Green). However, even the aforementioned can’t influence or trump my local MP (and alleged Aston Villa fan) here in Witney so there is a possible political lever given the number of ST holders who must reside in his constituency.

As an aside issue is there any chance of a link to the tribunal decision papers please? Ta.
well, at the risk of re-hashing the discussion from around a year ago, if nothing else it has put oxvox in conversations we weren't in before and acts as a potential bargaining chip. it's an option for scenarios that are not necessarily foreseeable.

the localism legislation has been promoted by the coalition, and across government there's been a good deal of interest in this decision at a whole range of levels. and, of course, from labour, oxvox's patron andrew smith is tremendously helpful.

papers relating to the listing have been put here: http://www.oxford.gov.uk/PageRender/dec ... yValue.htm

but they've tended to take a little while to make it up there, so if you want a copy before then, PM me your email address.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Matt D wrote:
Snake wrote:Happy to be labelled as stupid but I still can’t see the point of this cunning plan to any of the parties involved other than trying to introduce a possible delaying process that will simply run parallel to the lengthy planning permission process. The public quotes from Crofton-Briggs could just as easily apply to building a conservatory in your back garden as the disposal/expansion of a football stadium and its surrounding area. He’s the most senior planning officer in Oxford City Council (and someone whom I respect highly) doing his job properly but he’s not the final decision maker and the councillors who pull his strings may quote even more bullishly about this decision as they don’t have any re-election worries and fewer constraints. People like Price, Brown (and hubby) Tanner, Turner (and he’s a ref), Smith (and hubby), Clarkson and Cook spring to mind as long term Oxford fans. Outside of the ruling Labour group then there may be some support from Ruth Wilkinson (LibDem) and Craig Simmons (Green). However, even the aforementioned can’t influence or trump my local MP (and alleged Aston Villa fan) here in Witney so there is a possible political lever given the number of ST holders who must reside in his constituency.

Well, at the risk of re-hashing the discussion from around a year ago, if nothing else it has put OxVox in conversations we weren't in before and acts as a potential bargaining chip. It's an option for scenarios that are not necessarily foreseeable.

The localism legislation has been promoted by the coalition, and across government there's been a good deal of interest in this decision at a whole range of levels. And, of course, from Labour. OxVox patron Andrew Smith is tremendously helpful.

Papers relating to the listing have been put here: http://www.oxford.gov.uk/PageRender/dec ... yValue.htm

But they've tended to take a little while to make it up there, so if you want a copy before then, PM me your email address.
It’s Andrews patch and I’ve seen him on a few occasions queuing up to get into the SSU like everyone else with no photographer or journalist in sight as it’s not something he shouts about.

Yes, I know about that link, and yes it will take a while to get the official stuff into the public domain but that’s how things work so I thought OV could give me and the readers of this board an earlier picture. Surprised you needed my email address but I’ve sent it to you anyway.