Portsmouth

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Portsmouth

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Three points above the drop zone with eight games left to play. Looking very nervously at Northampton over their shoulders. I wonder whether they're thinking they picked the wrong manager? :shock:
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: Portsmouth

Post by Hog »

And they're away at Noton on easter monday ...
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Normally at this stage of the season OUFC have little left to play for and I amuse myself by donning my Vindictive Hat and start following the misfortunes of teams that I would like to see suffer.

This season is slightly different as we shall go into the Easter weekend still very much in the hunt for a playoff place.

Nevertheless, old habits die hard.

Nothing to do with CW, but because NTFC ripped the p*ss out of us when we were dropping into the Conference when they were heading for League 1, I hope they don't make it.

I have never been able to stomach Portsmouth, Millwall or Stevenage so I hope they drop through their respective trapdoors also. Big ask for Torquay to survive but I like Chris Hargreaves and Torquay is a cracking weekend away.

Despite strong family links to Somerset, Gary Johnson was on the first FL show this season talking about what a big club Portsmouth are, sure to bounce back etc and gave us no credit for stuffing them 4-1 so I hope Yeovil get relegated too.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

How can you like Chris Hargreaves? He captained us during the worst season in our entire history! Then bottled taking a penalty in the play-offs after saying he'd stand up and be counted etc etc. Anyway, he's proving again that his speciality is failure - Torquay are in a worse position now than when he took over, and they don't have a hope in hell of surviving imo. Which is otherwise a shame as they're a tidy little club with a nice ground. And very handy for a Cornwall-based fan such as myself, obviously. But they're doomed.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

He has his good and bad points - I loved his 'Where's your Caravan' book, and remember several battling 'lionheart' performances against eg Luton away. But he lacked finesse, and I can completely understand your viewpoint. I guess I'm a bit of a sucker for players who put the effort in such as Hargreaves, Mickey Lewis, Stuart Massie, Beano and so on, as opposed to those who don't.....Andy Burgess, Rob Duffy, Tony Capaldi (I could go on, but you get my drift).
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

After the Rochdale result it’s a distinct possibility that they may end up in the Conference. And if they do then I can easily envisage 15,000+ home crowds for non-league games simply on the basis that Pompey fans think they will win nearly all of them (just like we thought - and Luton, Cambridge, Wrexham et al) and vastly outnumbering the home support when they go away, which is fun for a while. Thing is, it’s a long way back to even tier III and while for Oxford United the non-league experience didn’t reduce the fan base (quite the opposite) the reality of getting out but going no further in the proper League certainly has.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

It's odd actually how our crowds have dipped so much this season. I know the football wasn't that exciting (or that successful at home) but we were in or around the top 3 for most of the season (up until recently) and yet the crowds have been seriously dropping off from the last few seasons. Was it really just that most of our success was coming away from home? Or the economic situation really starting to bite?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Until Wimbledon's 96th minute equaliser at Northampton, Pompey looked set to end the evening level with the Cobblers on both points and goal difference. Seriously scary stuff for them at the moment.

Regarding our attendances, I've said it before - do not discount the fact that many fans positively detest our 'new' stadium - its accessibility (or lack of), the surrounding facilities (or lack of), the stadium itself. I for one don't make much effort to attend home games these days.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote:Until Wimbledon's 96th minute equaliser at Northampton, Pompey looked set to end the evening level with the Cobblers on both points and goal difference. Seriously scary stuff for them at the moment.

Regarding our attendances, I've said it before - do not discount the fact that many fans positively detest our 'new' stadium - its accessibility (or lack of), the surrounding facilities (or lack of), the stadium itself. I for one don't make much effort to attend home games these days.
Not forgetting Wilder's uninspiring play.

I seriously think we would get more through th eturnstiles if we had won half the games 4-0 and lost half of them 4-0. I'm not suggesting that would be a good idea btw.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Barker has been sacked.

I am worried we may see DC recalled.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Brahma Bull wrote:Barker has been sacked.

I am worried we may see DC recalled.
According to this article there is no recall clause in Connolly's loan. Good news if true.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Kernow Yellow wrote:Regarding our attendances, I've said it before - do not discount the fact that many fans positively detest our 'new' stadium - its accessibility (or lack of), the surrounding facilities (or lack of), the stadium itself. I for one don't make much effort to attend home games these days.
I tend to agree with this. Not so much the stadium per se, but the lack of facilities. IMHO, I think the main cause of the drop in attendances is the closure of the Priory, rather than the on-pitch fare.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Myles Francis wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:Regarding our attendances, I've said it before - do not discount the fact that many fans positively detest our 'new' stadium - its accessibility (or lack of), the surrounding facilities (or lack of), the stadium itself. I for one don't make much effort to attend home games these days.
I tend to agree with this. Not so much the stadium per se, but the lack of facilities. IMHO, I think the main cause of the drop in attendances is the closure of the Priory, rather than the on-pitch fare.

I disagree with both of those reasons, although they might be additional factors. I believe the main reason for poor home attendances is poor play, results and performances at home. We only won three of our first ten home league games this season. The poor football served up was unlikely to encourage more supporters to attend! CW and the players must take the majority of the blame for that. We had higher attendances in the Conference and those games were played at the Kassam.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Another link between the managerial situations at our two clubs with the news that sacked Pompey boss Richie Barker has taken Gary Waddock's old job at MK Dons.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

A possibility that Pompey could be £1m better off in the next few weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26840066