Yellow Player

Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Yellow Player

Post by Hog »

The sound quality on Yellow Player commentaries has been awful for several weeks now and although I've threatened to cancel my subscription nothing seems to be done to improve the quality.

It seems I'm not the only one experiencing difficulties and there is now an on-line petition to encourage OUFC to take the matter in hand. I'm never sure about these petitions but nothing ventured, nothing gained ...

http://www.petitions24.com/yellow
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Yellow Player

Post by SmileyMan »

Thanks for this - the club needs to remember that Yellow Player is a lifeline for us exiles, and as a paid-for subscription service it really isn't good enough.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

It was AWFUL on Tuesday night. At least it got better during the Exeter match. I just couldn't follow the Newport game at all. It was way behind the clock as well - live score updates were on Sky Sports News before the commentary on YP. Twitter is quicker. And free.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

It's terrible, but we're a captive audience and we can't get it anywhere else (if exiled). If the commentary wasn't so consistently good, I'd scrap it and follow the scores on SSN and Twitter. I hope a petition works but I have my doubts. The other thing is how badly they are at communicating with us - if they put out a message with updates about how it is working at least we'd know. Listening to the Mansfield game with Mansfield commentary really took away the enjoyment of the win.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

The petition has 64 signatures now: I wonder how many subscribers there are?
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I cancelled my subscription at the end of last season as the service was too unreliable and the audio quality incredibly annoying. These days twitter does the job pretty well but I'm not a great listener of football matches on the radio (I find it far more tense than actually watching a game) so perhaps I'm not representative. If it were to significantly improve however I would sign up again.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Or the club could let Radio Oxford broadcast the game which is always in good quality.

They show the highlights of games for free now why not keep the expats engaged and listen to Radio Oxford - if I live within a mile of the ground and can't be bothered to go I can listen for free, yet if I live 200 miles away I have to pay to listen, hardly seems fair to me especially when the quality is so poor.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

ty cobb wrote:Or the club could let Radio Oxford broadcast the game which is always in good quality.

They show the highlights of games for free now why not keep the expats engaged and listen to Radio Oxford - if I live within a mile of the ground and can't be bothered to go I can listen for free, yet if I live 200 miles away I have to pay to listen, hardly seems fair to me especially when the quality is so poor.
Quite.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

ty cobb wrote:Or the club could let Radio Oxford broadcast the game which is always in good quality.
No. No they can't. As you're well aware. We've had this conversation so many times now. The Football League has sold the internet broadcast rights for all football league matches as a whole. There is no way that OUFC could opt out even if they wanted to. They do not own the rights. Nor do Radio Oxford. But you know this already. Why do you continually misrepresent the situation as OUFC ripping us off?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
No. No they can't... There is no way that OUFC could opt out even if they wanted to.
Well, they could decline to re-enter into such an agreement when the contract comes up for renewal, which is what I took Ty Cobb to be suggesting. That'd be a good start.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:
No. No they can't... There is no way that OUFC could opt out even if they wanted to.
Well, they could decline to re-enter into such an agreement when the contract comes up for renewal, which is what I took Ty Cobb to be suggesting. That'd be a good start.
Who could? OUFC or the Football League? If you mean OUFC could do so unilaterally, I'd be amazed. And when does the contract come up for renewal? It's been in place since 2000/01 I believe, so my guess is it's pretty long-term. So I stand by my 'No they can't' comment unless someone would like to prove otherwise.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Every contract should have a number of break clauses on both sides if the service standards are not being met. It sounds like in this case the service standards have not been met for quite sometime. Or has has been said they can decline to enter into such an agreement again.

Of course OUFC may have signed up to a contract which gives them non wriggle room and is indefinite. Given the agreeement put in place for the stadium this would not actually surprise me.

I also didn't accuse the club of ripping us off, my point is that they will keep people far more engaged with OUFC if they didn't force their fans to pay to listen to match commentary online, especially when you can't hear anything that is being said. On a Sat I can listen to 5live, watch soccer saturday or check the internet to keep up to date with how we're doing, I don't need to pay to listen, but if I did listen I believe I would feel the excitement of being a Oxford fan, regret not going that week and make it far more likely to attend a match in the future. This happenend in the Conference and we kept our gates high. Our gates have been shocking of late because I think once a fan stops going it's all too easy to lose interest in OUFC, anything that helps prevent that can only be a good thing.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

STOP PRESS......I have a response from Perform Group to my grizzly email last Tuesday evening.

"...the issue was down to BBC Radio Oxford using the incorrect settings on their codecs".

There are so many things that p*ss me off about this whole issue, not least of which is that I live about 5 miles outside RadOx FM reception area : I could drive over to my daughter's house in Hazlemere and listen to away games instead of sitting in my own lounge doing a passable Tony Hancock impression.

(You probably have to be 50+ to get that..)

Grrr....
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

amershamwrighty wrote:STOP PRESS......I have a response from Perform Group to my grizzly email last Tuesday evening.

"...the issue was down to BBC Radio Oxford using the incorrect settings on their codecs".

There are so many things that p*ss me off about this whole issue, not least of which is that I live about 5 miles outside RadOx FM reception area : I could drive over to my daughter's house in Hazlemere and listen to away games instead of sitting in my own lounge doing a passable Tony Hancock impression.

(You probably have to be 50+ to get that..)

Grrr....
Do you live near Haslemere then? If so, you can't be that far from me as I'm only 5 miles from Haslemere!

Until about a week ago, if you downloaded the Football League App and selected Oxford United as your team, you could listen for free to the commentary in crystal clear sound over your ipad/iphone/whatever other device you download the app to. And you can get all the Yellow Player trappings (not that there are many) for free too! I'm hoping the loss of commentary last week was also down to this codecs thing as I go into hospital for yet another operation tomorrow and not sure when I'll be able to get to my next game.
Yorkie
Toddler

Post by Yorkie »

STOP PRESS......I have a response from Perform Group to my grizzly email last Tuesday evening.

I only listened to the second half from Morecambe on Saturday, but the sound quality seemed much better.