Charlton Replay

Anything yellow and blue
SWA
Puberty

Charlton Replay

Post by SWA »

Ticket prices have been set at normal league prices for the replay.
This is poor in my opinion. Had they been set at £10 we may have got a reasonable crowd, with normal prices, don't think there is much chance of that :(
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re: Charlton Replay

Post by Paul Cooper »

I tend to agree that it should have been £10 and all efforts to get a decent crowd.

But I guess that it is a school night and so it is difficult for many families/ kids and I can't see it being more than 4K to 5K but hope that I am wrong.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

I do not get to many games at the moment due to the financial and time constraints of having 2 young children but had hoped to be able to afford this game. Alas, normal ticket prices rule me out.

I can't see many people wanted to pay £17 or more bearing in mind recent home performances and Charlton are hardly going to be a massive crowd draw.

Charlton Supporters Trust are also upset with the pricing - http://www.castrust.org/2014/01/trust-d ... lay-price/ .
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Well I disagree, I'm afraid. Here's my 'comment' on the CAST website ('awaiting moderation' at time of writing)...

"Hang on a minute! How many clubs would *lower* their prices for the visit of a club two leagues higher in a prestigious cup competition? Just because Charlton fans treat the FA Cup (and the League Cup) with disdain, don’t assume that fans of clubs like Oxford United do the same! This is a big match for OUFC – why should we slash our prices to keep Addicks fans happy?

Also, would cheaper tickets really result in a significantly greater number of CAFC fans travelling? It obviously didn’t work last night – the home attendance was woeful.

And finally, I’m guessing that £19 is cheaper than most of the grounds you get to travel to in the Championship. It’s a new ground for you lot – why not come along and show some support for your club, some solidarity with a lower league club struggling with millions of pounds of debt, and some respect for the FA Cup?"
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Kernow, you must be one of very few who think that it is reasonable to charge full whack for this game!
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

SWA wrote:Kernow, you must be one of very few who think that it is reasonable to charge full whack for this game!
Well I agree with him.
Great performance by my lads last night, pay up you miserable penny pinchers and watch some passionate cup football.

'Oop the Warriors !
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I don't get this, would people think it should be a tenner against Man United? Charlton are nearer to them in the league pyramid than they are to us!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

If a midweek FA Cup tie under lights against Championship opposition doesn't get OUFC fans' football juices flowing, then what the hell does? I'm seriously thinking of trying to get up from Cornwall for it, despite the fact it's an 8 hour round trip and I'm working both Tuesday and Wednesday! I wouldn't do that on a Tuesday night for all but the most significant league game.

And people want prices cut for this? I really don't get it. It's not the JPT. I bet we've NEVER in our history cut prices for an FA Cup tie against higher league opposition. Why should we start now?
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Charlton trust have replied to you Kernow Yellow:

http://www.castrust.org/2014/01/trust-d ... lay-price/
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

MK Dons were charging £12 for tickets for their game against Wigan Athletic last night...
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I agree with KY as well. I've bought my ticket and am glad there is a replay for me to go to so I can watch my team in the FA Cup 3rd round. Its not like we reach the 3rd round every season.

Normal pricing seems the right policy to me.

Whether our normal pricing is set right is a different matter, but I see no reason to discount for this match.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Quite GY, and this my season ticket holding friends is the thought process we casual (i.e. living a long way away) fans go through most weeks. Hmmmmmmm I would really quite like to go on Sat but the best part of £20 for pretty poor football....................reckon I'll give it a miss.

As KY says, would rather pay £20 to watch this one than some crappy team in league 2 who will come and park the bus, does the FA cup mean nothing to us now, we're on an excellent run and this is a very good chance to get to the fourth round for blooming ages.

£20 is far too expensive though and puts people off.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Kernow - you should have told them that the better playing surface is worth the additional 9 quid!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

SWA wrote:Charlton trust have replied to you Kernow Yellow:

Yeah, and I've replied back, though that seems also to be awaiting moderation. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I frankly can't believe that any OUFC fan thinks that we should discount a prestigious FA Cup tie against Championship opposition lower than a League 2 match against eg Morecambe.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
SWA wrote:Charlton trust have replied to you Kernow Yellow:

Yeah, and I've replied back, though that seems also to be awaiting moderation. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I frankly can't believe that any OUFC fan thinks that we should discount a prestigious FA Cup tie against Championship opposition lower than a League 2 match against eg Morecambe.
There is one obvious (and I would say significant) difference between those two games - discounting heavily for a league game could serve to alienate season ticket holders (this is something I recall us debating a long, long, time ago). Next Tuesday's game is a one-off. The question I would ask is - do we want to try to milk the Charlton game financially as much as we can, or get bums on seats to create a decent atmosphere? Going down the chosen path risks deterring fans of both sides from attending (and it is natural they, of both sides, will also compare prices for this game with last Saturday's). Without getting into debates over price elasticity of demand, I am concerned that this pricing policy will harm the club financially; and undermine the atmosphere. And to be clear, I do not believe this is a sufficiently glamorous cup tie to bring in the wavering Us fans who, pretty much all season, have been staying away in droves - without some attempt to entice them. That is why I think what KY believes is unthinkable.