JANUARY TRANSFER TARGETS

Anything yellow and blue
STEVE F
Brat

JANUARY TRANSFER TARGETS

Post by STEVE F »

OXFORD NEED TO TARGET A TOP CLASS MIDFIELDER AN AT LEAST ONE PROVEN STRIKER IF THY STILL WISH TO GO UP THIS SEASON , PLAYERS TO CONSIDER , ROB EARNSHAW , MARLON KING , STUART BEAVON ,LEON CLARK ALL OF THESE KNOW HOW TO SCORE

FOR MIDFIELD BEN PRINGLE , SAM HIRD, SEAN MCCARTHEY ,
LEE HOLMES

THE CHAIRMAN HAS NOW TO DECIDE IF MORE INVESTMENT FROM NOW TILL THE SEASONS END ON UP TO THREE CLASS PLAYERS IS WORTH WHILE IN AN ATTEMPT TO BRING LEAGUE ONE FOOTBALL NEXT SEASON
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re: JANUARY TRANSFER TARGETS

Post by tomoufc »

It seems certain that we will need to make a couple of quality signings to have a good chance of automatic promotion, as the squad is simply too small, and has too many areas of mediocrity (although I doubt it we can afford any you've mentioned - I've actually heard of them!). I feel the position we currently hold in the league is about right, considering how we've played this season overall. We never have really looked like title contenders, although neither has any other team, arguably. So I suppose the question for the chairman is: does he break his fiscal rules and get open the chequebook, or stick to the long-term plan of bringing youth through, with the hope of a play-off place? My guess is it will be the latter. Only time will tell if it's the right choice.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

tomoufc wrote:It seems certain that we will need to make a couple of quality signings to have a good chance of automatic promotion, as the squad is simply too small, and has too many areas of mediocrity (although I doubt it we can afford any you've mentioned - I've actually heard of them!). I feel the position we currently hold in the league is about right, considering how we've played this season overall. We never have really looked like title contenders, although neither has any other team, arguably. So I suppose the question for the chairman is: does he break his fiscal rules and get open the chequebook, or stick to the long-term plan of bringing youth through, with the hope of a play-off place? My guess is it will be the latter. Only time will tell if it's the right choice.
For once I agree with Steve F in that we need a couple of quality players if we want promotion this season. The priority has to be a creative midfielder. IL has a tough choice to make. I applaud the concept of bringing through the youth but (and I want to see them succeed) none of the youth players have cut it this season. Ruffels has done ok but only as cover for injuries, COD is simply too lightweight and Marsh has done ok with his very limited opportunities. IL has consistently stated that he wants us in the Championship and I'm pretty sure he said 3 years ago that his plan was to achieve this in a 5 year timeframe so back to back promotions required please!

It is stick or twist time and sometimes you have to spin the wheel to see what it brings. If he doesn't and we continue to falter, there will be even more widespread apathy amongst many of the fans. A small investment of £100k in a couple of half season loans (perhaps with a clause that gives a hungry player a guaranteed contract if we get promotion) would appear to be sensible now. If it comes off, fantastic and he gains kudos for his investment, insight and judgement, if it doesn't, it's a one-off £100k spent which in the scheme of things is not huge. The FA Cup money would cover this and so he doesn't have the excuse of not having the cash.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Our midfield problems have only been exacerbated by Asa Hall's return to Shrewsbury, and we now desperately need cover in this area at least until Whing and Meades are fit. Meades was supposed to be a key signing, but will he ever play? It's Tony Capaldi all over again. Scott Davies looked promising last season, but his performances in the televised cup games were frankly woeful. I'm all in favour of keeping a squad together and not disrupting things with needless loans, but based on recent performances and events, if we don't strengthen in midfield now then I seriously fear for our season.

I'd also like a couple of new full backs, but I guess that would be asking too much...
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Marlon King?!
Fuck right off with that one!!
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Ye gods, there's some bullshine being talked on here.
Radley Rambler wrote:A small investment of £100k... would appear to be sensible now.
If £100,000 is such a "small investment", perhaps you'd like to donate the money yourself?
STEVE F wrote:PLAYERS TO CONSIDER , ROB EARNSHAW , MARLON KING , STUART BEAVON ,LEON CLARK
Why on earth would players of that calibre want to sign for a club in the fourth division? Get real.

Easy to spend someone else's money, isn't it?

As it happens, I'd agree that strengthening at Christmas when we're in the promotion hunt is a Good Idea. But it's up to Lenagan to decide whether or not the club can afford it - and if we can, then I'd hope we'd invest wisely in the right players with a hunger to succeed at this level rather than spunking a small fortune on some has-been big-name players who would only be here for the money and who would bugger off as soon as it inevitably dried up.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Ye gods, there's some bullshine being talked on here.
Radley Rambler wrote:A small investment of £100k... would appear to be sensible now.
If £100,000 is such a "small investment", perhaps you'd like to donate the money yourself?
STEVE F wrote:PLAYERS TO CONSIDER , ROB EARNSHAW , MARLON KING , STUART BEAVON ,LEON CLARK
Why on earth would players of that calibre want to sign for a club in the fourth division? Get real.

Easy to spend someone else's money, isn't it?

As it happens, I'd agree that strengthening at Christmas when we're in the promotion hunt is a Good Idea. But it's up to Lenagan to decide whether or not the club can afford it - and if we can, then I'd hope we'd invest wisely in the right players with a hunger to succeed at this level rather than spunking a small fortune on some has-been big-name players who would only be here for the money and who would bugger off as soon as it inevitably dried up.
Bit harsh Kairdiff.

I stand by my statement that £100k is a small investment to make if we are realistic about securing promotion. The FA Cup monies have provided us with roughly that amount as an unexpected bonus and so the money should be available. More importantly, the injection of this investment has the potential to be repaid via higher crowds if we push for promotion and also the League 1 revenues if we get there. Additionally, investment in a couple of sensible 5 month acquisitions will show supporters that Mr Lenaghan is prepared to back up his rhetoric about us playing in the Championship in the short term.

Your point about me funding the £100k is not sensible. I do not have £100k spare cash to invest but Mr Lenaghan does should he choose to do so (the aforementioned FA Cup monies). We have a central midfield of a tired and off form Danny Rose and an average Asa Hall (if he hasn't already gone back to Shrewsbury) and nothing of any note on the bench. Whing and Meades are long term injuries so imho our current form will continue if we don't strengthen the squad, in particular the central midfield positions.

You've said yourself that 'I'd agree that strengthening at Christmas when we're in the promotion hunt is a Good Idea', with respect how do you think that can be achieved without spending any money?

I agree with you however, that the names of prospective players put forward by Steve F are not the right type of individual.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Asa Hall has already returned to Shrewsbury
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Radley Rambler wrote:I stand by my statement that £100k is a small investment to make if we are realistic about securing promotion. The FA Cup monies have provided us with roughly that amount as an unexpected bonus and so the money should be available... I do not have £100k spare cash to invest but Mr Lenaghan does should he choose to do so (the aforementioned FA Cup monies).
I think this is the point though. That FA Cup money isn't "spare" cash at all. Oxford United has been running at a loss for the last goodness-knows-how-many (translation: "I can't be arsed to check exactly, but we all know it's loads") years; Lenagan said at the last AGM that a good cup run and more prudent stewardship should offset some of that. So the FA Cup money gained so far this season is being - and should be - used to stop us making a financial loss this year.
Radley Rambler wrote:You've said yourself that 'I'd agree that strengthening at Christmas when we're in the promotion hunt is a Good Idea', with respect how do you think that can be achieved without spending any money?
That's my point. I don't know how much money OUFC have to spend on players. Neither, with the greatest respect, do you. But my best guess (based on what I've said above about recent statements of accounts) is that we don't have much/any to spend at all. It's not a question of what can be achieved if we spend - it's the fact that we aren't in a position to anyway. You may well respond with "speculate to accumulate" - but the rejoinder to that is what I've said above: it's easy to spend someone else's money, but it's up to Ian Lenagan to decide how much he wishes to gamble. Given that he is already funding our losses, I can't really blame him if he decides he doesn't want to keep pumping endless cash into the club.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Radley Rambler wrote:I stand by my statement that £100k is a small investment to make if we are realistic about securing promotion. The FA Cup monies have provided us with roughly that amount as an unexpected bonus and so the money should be available... I do not have £100k spare cash to invest but Mr Lenaghan does should he choose to do so (the aforementioned FA Cup monies).
I think this is the point though. That FA Cup money isn't "spare" cash at all. Oxford United has been running at a loss for the last goodness-knows-how-many (translation: "I can't be arsed to check exactly, but we all know it's loads") years; Lenagan said at the last AGM that a good cup run and more prudent stewardship should offset some of that. So the FA Cup money gained so far this season is being - and should be - used to stop us making a financial loss this year.
Radley Rambler wrote:You've said yourself that 'I'd agree that strengthening at Christmas when we're in the promotion hunt is a Good Idea', with respect how do you think that can be achieved without spending any money?
That's my point. I don't know how much money OUFC have to spend on players. Neither, with the greatest respect, do you. But my best guess (based on what I've said above about recent statements of accounts) is that we don't have much/any to spend at all. It's not a question of what can be achieved if we spend - it's the fact that we aren't in a position to anyway. You may well respond with "speculate to accumulate" - but the rejoinder to that is what I've said above: it's easy to spend someone else's money, but it's up to Ian Lenagan to decide how much he wishes to gamble. Given that he is already funding our losses, I can't really blame him if he decides he doesn't want to keep pumping endless cash into the club.
Looks like we have slightly different views of whether the gamble should be taken at this point in time. I suspect IL will follow your line of thinking but for the reasons stated above, I think that will result in another season of disappointment. I'd love to be proved wrong though.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Could Kitson be the midfielder we are looking for - particularly at home - with two strikers up top?
I realise that the major flaw with this idea is that would mean mean either the lethal Beano & SMalley pairing; introducing Marsh full time; or getting someone else in, all of which do not leap out as obvious solutions, but could playing Kitson work in this setup?
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Mooro wrote:Could Kitson be the midfielder we are looking for - particularly at home - with two strikers up top?
I realise that the major flaw with this idea is that would mean mean either the lethal Beano & SMalley pairing; introducing Marsh full time; or getting someone else in, all of which do not leap out as obvious solutions, but could playing Kitson work in this setup?
I agree. We're crying out for a creative central midfielder and Kitson fits the bill better than anyone else we could afford. He doesn't see himself as an out and out striker any more. We could bring in a striker during the transfer window to provide competition for Beano and Deano. Then in February Meades could provide the backup for Kitson.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I think IL should stick to his financial rules and I like the way he is running our club.

There is justification to bring in a central midfielder to replace Hall, who in my view wasn't good enough anyway.

I would of course like our full backs replaced, but not for unbudgeted extra costs.

I don't agree that we need another striker as some others have suggested above. If anything, our forward line is the strongest element of our team.

Our loss of form coincides with that of Jake Wright and Johnny Mullins, coupled with the in built weaknesses in the full back positions. There is a strong case for Raynes to be first pick in the heart of defence at the moment, and Wilder was wrong to drop him as soon as Wright was fit again. Once our centre backs are fit and back in form, we will concede far fewer goals and so turn defeats into draws and draws into victories.

That we have dropped a couple of places in a couple of games, should not be a cause for concern, and certainly not the panic mode that some appear to have fallen into. The season has gone pretty well overall so far, despite a tough period with first XI injuries. I think we should stick with it. The dev squad players have done what they were intended to do, which is tide us through difficult injury periods whilst giving match experience to younger players.

When we are playing well, probably only Chesterfield are as good as us in this division. Getting consistency is what is needed, and that does not come from making changes. I am confident that we will go up automatically this season.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Whilst having some slight concerns about he strikers (Smalley is so inconsistent and injury prone and Marsh seems to be seen as not good enough), I tend to agree with GY that they one thing that we need to do is to get a replacement in for Asa Hall. I think he did OK (certainly far better than Davies who has been a huge disappointment), but we really need some better support for Danny Rose. This could be a critical signing as if CW gets it right, it could make a big difference to the side.

I maybe in a minority but think that the Full Backs have done pretty well this season (and extremely well when having to fill in at CB as well)
STEVE F
Brat

Post by STEVE F »

NOW 5TH JANUARY APPEARS TO BE A FAIR AMOUNT OF COMENTS BEING GIVEN
WITH REGUARD TO MIDFIELD PLAYERS OR TARGETS THAT OUFC CAN GO AFTER BEFORE THE WINDOW CLOSES SO HEAR
ARE A FEW MORE NAMES TO CONSIDER PAUL BODIN , BILLY KEE , LEE BARNARD , KEVIN PHILIPS , WES THOMAS .
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST ANY OTHER DECENT PLAYERS YOU MAY CONSIDER WHO WOULD PERHAPS IMPROVE
THE CHANCES OF OXFORD UNITED GOING UP THIS SEASON.