Managerial Merry-go-round

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re: Managerial Merry-go-round

Post by Mooro »

Mooro wrote:Barker (as predicted) all set to take Portsmouth post. BAU at OUFC and ECFC, as I'm sure all involved assumed it would be.

Rosler given permission to talk to Wigan, potentially leaving Brentford looking for a new man.
Brentford therefore likely to be looking for a new man, with early leader Jimmy-floyd Hasselbaink! Wilder joins Millen/Appleton/Mellon/Holloway on about 10/1
Sheff Weds have ruled out Warnock, based on fan pressure, which (to a much lesser extent) may put an end to Wilder's long shot chance of that one.
A good start for Mellon as caretaker sees him on short odds for Barnsley Evens-2/1, Wilson/Appleton/Redfearn 3-5/1, Wilder now back out to 16s.
Similar story at Sheff Weds sees Stuart Gray at 3s, with Evans/Pearce/Ince/Appleton & Phelan at 5-6/1

No odds for Southport as yet - well there may be, I just haven't bothered looking.
Yep, Barker and Coppell confirmed at Pompey today, Rosler at Wigan over the weekend...
Opens a position at Brentford, which current sporting director Mark Warburton is odds on to take, Hasslebaink/Appleton/Pearce/Walter Smith/Holloway and Wilder are next up, all at around 16s...
CAretakers Mellon and GRay both continue to feature highly at Barnsley and Sheffield respectively, Wilder drifting to 16 for the former and staying at least 33/1for the latter.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Bit of a surprise move at Bury, with David Flitcroft being appointed manager, despite having previously announced that caretaker Ronnie Jepson would stay at the helm until the New Year.
It seems the FACup defeat to Cambridge and P8 W2 D4 L2 and 20th place was enough to show Jepson wasn't the right man. Whether Flitcroft is is another question!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Breaking News:

Brentford FC appoint Mark Warburton as their new manager.

So we know the following:

David Flitcroft in at Bury
John Gregory in at Crawley Town
Uwe Rosler in at Wigan Athletic
Richard Barker in at Portsmouth
Steve Cotterill in at Bristol City
Mark Warburton in at Brentford

Vacancies:

Barnsley - Michael Mellon in pole position.
Scunthorpe United - Russell Wilcox in pole position.
Sheffield Wednesday - Stuart Gray in pole position.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

OUFC4eva wrote:Breaking News:

Brentford FC appoint Mark Warburton as their new manager.

So we know the following:

David Flitcroft in at Bury
John Gregory in at Crawley Town
Uwe Rosler in at Wigan Athletic
Richard Barker in at Portsmouth
Steve Cotterill in at Bristol City
Mark Warburton in at Brentford

Vacancies:

Barnsley - Michael Mellon in pole position.
Scunthorpe United - Russell Wilcox in pole position.
Sheffield Wednesday - Stuart Gray in pole position.
FYI - Full list is kept updated at the top of page one....
...just to put a bit of perspective, I started this 18 months ago, and the first batch of names on there are now in the top 30 longest serving managers in the leagues....!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Wilder ""I'm loyal as is seen by being the third-longest-serving manager in English football. That goes unnoticed."

Erm, no it doesn't.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

recordmeister wrote:Wilder ""I'm loyal as is seen by being the third-longest-serving manager in English football. That goes unnoticed."

Erm, no it doesn't.
Of course it does - ask any non-Oxford fan who is the third-longest serving and they wouldn't have a clue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

JoeyBeauchamp wrote:
recordmeister wrote:Wilder ""I'm loyal as is seen by being the third-longest-serving manager in English football. That goes unnoticed."

Erm, no it doesn't.
Of course it does - ask any non-Oxford fan who is the third-longest serving and they wouldn't have a clue
But any non Oxford fan couldn't care less if Wilder is either loyal or the third longest serving manager in the league.

Length of service however, is not necessarily a sign of loyalty. It can just as easily be a sign of no better alternative options.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

I think it's a sign of how trigger-happy and irresponsible chairmen are these days
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

West Brom are now looking for a new manager. 'Big Sam' must be a favourite during the usual chop and change pre-Christmas club owner panic.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Snake wrote:West Brom are now looking for a new manager. 'Big Sam' must be a favourite during the usual chop and change pre-Christmas club owner panic.
I'd say the favourite is AVB, just not sure whether I mean for the chop or for the West Brom job.
Personally, and going out on a limb maybe on this one, but I'd think Hoddle would be a great appointment for them, though the oracle of all things midlands Pat Murphy was also mentioning Ole Gunnar Solskjear...
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Mooro wrote: I'd say the favourite is AVB, just not sure whether I mean for the chop or for the West Brom job.
Correct Mooro- AVB has been fired.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Bookies list make for interesting reading, with arguably the Albion list containing the more inspiring group of names:

WBA: Jol 4s with Paul Clement (coach at Ancellotti's Real), di Matteo and Solskjaer grouped together. Hoddle a little further back now after AVB's departure,
Spurs: Capello 2s, Laudrup 3-4s, Hoddle/Sherwood/Hiddinck 7-9s, with de Boer, Klinsmann & di Matteo next up...

PS, Wilson odds on for Barnsley from Mellon at 4s; Gray odds on at Wednesday from Mcleish....Wilder 25/1 Barnsley, 66/1 Wednesday..
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Gianfranco Zola and Watford part company tonight
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

OUFC4eva wrote:Gianfranco Zola and Watford part company tonight
Zola was on the wanted list by Swansea a while ago so ML to Spurs and GZ to South Wales makes a half-decent double bet with the bookies if anyone fancies a tenner on it!

I really can’t see the Spurs Board appointing Capello any more than they would hire other Engerland failures like Sven or Glen. However, given that the Gareth Bale transfer money has been more than spent on under-performing but quality players they have potential to improve...
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Snake wrote:
OUFC4eva wrote:Gianfranco Zola and Watford part company tonight
Zola was on the wanted list by Swansea a while ago so ML to Spurs and GZ to South Wales makes a half-decent double bet with the bookies if anyone fancies a tenner on it!

Nice theory, but the bookies appear more in favour of a straight swap between Watford and West Brom with Zola heading the list for the Hawthorns from Jol & di Matteo, while Clark heads the list for Watford, jointly with Ian Holloway.
Tim Sherwood heads the list for Spurs, with Laudrup second and Hoddle third and Capello drifting to fourth.

Some of the odds for the Swansea job seem to be leftovers from earlier, with the likes of Poyet & Meulensteen still listed, but more interesting names are Morten Wieghorst, BErgkamp, Solskjear & Zola.
while down the road it seems the Mackay/Tan relationship is destined to come to an end very soon after another public spat over money. Early runners are OGS, RDM, Sven, Zola and most interestingly Craig bellamy...