Hat's off to those going

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Hat's off to those going

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Blimey, a big clap to those braving the long journey to Heed again what with the major issues with the weather forecast for the North East.

There must be a significant risk to the game going ahead, or not, again.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re: Hat's off to those going

Post by Isaac »

It's pretty unpleasant in terms of wind and rain here in scotland and I think it's heading south, I would think it's likely to be off. To be honest, if you're keen (mental?) enough to travel from Oxford to Gateshead on a thursday night for a game that is already being televised, I doubt the prospect of it getting called off will make you change your mind.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Womble has gone, flew up apparently.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I'm surprised the apostrophe police haven't had this thread closed down yet!

But yes, let's hope the game can somehow get squeezed in between the big storm and the big freeze. If it is off, I wonder whether we'd be able to play it on Monday and keep the telly slot?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Kernow Yellow wrote:I'm surprised the apostrophe police haven't had this thread closed down yet!
I'm sure that GY was doffing his own metaphoric titfer.

You can thank me later GY.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Well, I'd suggest that BT will just keep their cameras at the Heed, and reschedule for Monday, so yes, every chance. They can't move any other match to that Monday night slot at this short notice.

And if it's called off tonight, doesn't that guarantee our name is in the hat for the third round draw? What if we draw Man Utd - how would that affect Wilder's decision process?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Good to see the team going over and acknowledging the travelling support tonight. That must have been a nightmare journey even for relatively northern fans.

I'd forgotten how horrible it is watching Us on telly, and that first half was the most horrible and nervy performance I've seen for a long, long time. Unsurprising given the line-up - despite BT Sport's attempts to make it a David vs Goliath tale, anyone who knows anything about our club knows that starting XI should have been big underdogs. The fact that that back four kept a clean sheet for 120 minutes against such an in-form team is a remarkable achievement really.

That's not to say we played well of course. We rode our luck massively, and our midfield was largely woeful. Kitson was hugely disappointing, and Scott Davies had an absolute stinker.

But what spirit we showed, and what an important result for the club coffers and for our momentum.

Onwards and upwards.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Crap match, which we didn't deserve to win, but I'm glad we did. And, yes, kudos to the travelling support.

What exactly happened to Raynes and Mullins? I'd heard nothing about injuries to them before the team was announced. We really are down to bare bones, especially if Rose is now injured. (The BBC even mentioned Kitson being replaced due to injury. Ugh.)

Second season in succession where we seem to have had utterly crazy injury problems. Are there just more injuries these days?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Well that was two hours of my life I'll never get back, although the ends justified the means I suppose. The only good bit for me was the referee who proved that there is such a thing as a good official. I had gotten to the stage that I thought it was me that was at fault because after every game I go home thinking that the ref was dreadful but that guy last night was everything a ref should be, mainly unnoticed. I suspect the Heed fans will be moaning about him giving us the pen but it was a clumsy challenge and the defender never touched the ball.

Roll on Monday and more £1.99 Carlsberg.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Probably the worst televised match I've ever seen and I think Gateshead got it wrong, we didn't have a centre back on the pitch (did they know this? I presume so) but they spent the whole game passing the ball around in front of our midfield. Understandably, our nervous defence just lumped it forward at the first opportunity and it made for a very dull spectacle. I wonder if any neutrals made it to the end of the game? Probably a few gamblers but other than that, I very much doubt it.
I think Kitson had cramp, so hopefully nothing serious.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I don't disagree with anything said here, but we had two full-backs playing centre backs, two kids on debut playing full backs - and our forward momentum often relies on full backs driving forward - or supporting our wide players, one of whom has only started a handful of games.

Given that, I was not surprised by our first half performance (especially the lack of support from the defenders to our midfield), relieved that we showed a bit more oomph in the second half and delighted when Williams finally got in the box. As has already been said, under those circumstances, a win and a clean sheet represent an excellent return on the evening's efforts.

I am sure any neutral watching that game would not have been impressed by anything about us, but overall as a non-neutral I thought our collective defensive display was adequate (and in the circumstances, I will take that) and I thought that whilst Bevans and Lynn had a few scary moments, they both also had moments where they showed real promise. A final word for Newey and Hunt, who did what was asked of them extremely well indeed. Oh - and some chap who scored a goal very calmly. Mustn't forget him!
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

That was an excellent result given the managerial situation and injury problems but where does it leave us?

In FA Cup terms it means more money in the coffers but in league terms the decimated squad will soon be found out by most League 2 teams. Unless we get several players back within the next two weeks our promotion chances could be seriously affected.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Geoff wrote:That was an excellent result given the managerial situation and injury problems but where does it leave us?

In FA Cup terms it means more money in the coffers but in league terms the decimated squad will soon be found out by most League 2 teams. Unless we get several players back within the next two weeks our promotion chances could be seriously affected.
The revenue will be very welcome - if only we could use the money to fund some decent loan signings. In all seriousness, I don't see why we couldn't sign two players on loan until the end of the season in January. The issue last season was short-term loans; players in for a month under-performing. but our longer-term loans, Williams and even Asa, have been more successful. I would have hoped CW (if he's still here) would be given the chance to strengthen in the New Year.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

What is the situation with the various injuries? Does anybody have any definite news on them? I'll list them here, along with what little I know. Perhaps others can help me fill it all in?

Meades - 2014
Whing - 2014
Potter - 2014
Wright -
Rigg - 2 weeks out (1 week remaining?)
Raynes -
Mullins -

Hopefully the final two were just cramp last night, but who knows...
Rose -
Kitson -