Tins n pots

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Tins n pots

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I can't see that anyone has commented, so I'll have a go. This all has to be temptered by the fact that both sides played "weakened" teams.

We played pretty well in the first half. We dominated possession and played a number of neat passing moves to create several chances which should have been put away, with Mr James Beano Constable being prime culprit for missing. Portsmouth improved hugely when the irritatingly productive and useful Agyemang came on.

Callum O'Dowda put on a much improved show from Saturday. He looks technically pretty good, and he has pace, but he does need to put on some muscle to cope with the rigours of lower league football as he was knocked off the ball by heavy challenges on more than one occasion, no thanks to the ref not producing his book early enough.

Alfie looked a little more interested, although not much. My impression, and that is all it is, is that Alfie needs a lot of motivation and praise from the manager which perhaps may not be as forthcoming as he may like. My impression is also that Alfie prefers to play up front than on the wing, but he is a significantly more valuable asset playing on the wing when he is playing well. He isn't a striker and unless he grows 3 feet or improves his scoring chance conversion ratio, he never will be. Football is a team game, and players should be played in their most effective position.

I was slightly less convinced about Josh Ruffels. Sure he put in plenty of work, but it wasn't as effective as Scott Davies playing alongside him, and he gave the ball away too much in dangerous areas.

Having said the above, if we are to play youngsters to progress them and benefit from them (and in my view we most certainly should have at least 1 youngster playing in every match), then we have to accept that they will make a higher number of mistakes than more senior pros.

My MoM was Ryan Williams. A constant threat, bags of pace and skill, albeit like O'Dowda, did get knocked off the ball a bit too easily. Riding challenges comes from experience though.

Beano put in his usual work rate, but he does need to convert a few more of his chances this season. He should have scored 6 or 7 goals by now this season in my view.

Smalley looked a bit out of control and was lucky not to be booked on several occasions, and so could easily have received his marching orders, including a waist high challenge, studs showing, that looked nasty.

Hall did OK during his relatively brief showing.

The full backs were again poor, in particular Hunt.

Raynes was at fault for at least one of the Portsmouth goals, and for the second game in a row was beaten in the air leading directly to Portsmouth scoring. For such a tall man, it's a strange trait. The rest of his game was OK and he is a useful back up player, but nothing more.

Mullins had a reasonable game and Clarke was in good form.

Overall the scoreline reflected ability to put the ball in the net rather than balance of play, but that is so often the case at this level.

Excellent away support from Pompey, and surprisingly large home support for the competition, albeit little of it in the East Stand.

At the end of the day Brian, it is only the tin pot trophy, and apart from continuing the dismal run of home results, I won't shed any tears. Saturday and Northampton are much more important, and a poor performance or defeat will surely begin to raise questions over Wilder's position again.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re: Tins n pots

Post by Paul Cooper »

Unfortunately I couldn't make it (one of the joys of working near Gatwick), but it sounded like a decent performance and for once we couldn't take our chances.

It raises a few questions re Saturday (which we badly need to win).

- Will Wright return? When I have watched Raynes has been a bit of a plus and has done a decent job. Clearly we would be better with JW back , but only if he is ready

- Will Williams play? I would be tempted to play Williams and leave Alfie on the bench (based on reports of how Williams played), but I suspect that Alfie will start

-Will Davis start? I suspect that Whing and Rose will start, but would be tempted to start with Davis and Rose.

I assume that Kitson and Smalley will begin up front.

Most of the squad are fit (with the exception of Meades) and some of the fringe players are pushing for a game. So CW has planty to choose from.

Northampton had a decent result at the weekend but have struggled. So we really should win on Saturday.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Paul Cooper wrote:Northampton had a decent result at the weekend but have struggled. So we really should win on Saturday.
How long have been supporting United?!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

GodalmingYellow wrote:Saturday and Northampton are much more important, and a poor performance or defeat will surely begin to raise questions over Wilder's position again.
Thanks for the report, GY. It's interesting that four home defeats on the trot would normally put any manager under severe pressure, but even if we lose tomorrow we might still be in the play-off positions, so talk of sacking Wilder would seem ridiculous. I guess it highlights again just how outstanding our away form has been that we have (so far) ridden this poor run of results at home without too much damage to our league position. It would be understandable though if the 'home-only' fans start getting restless unless things change at Minchery, and soon. Let's hope for a decent win against the Cobblers so we can stop dwelling on it!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Another factor is no team around us doing brilliantly in recent weeks. Chesterfield lost twice in a row; whilst Mansfield followed up their win away at Chesterfield by being stuffed at home by Hartlepool. If either of these teams sort themselves out, or if Exeter's and (especially?) Fleetwood's form continues, we may start to see a gap opening up, unless we can get some consistency. Given how many teams are below us by one or two points, anything other than a win tomorrow could see a dramatic drop in league place. And yes, I am a misery-guts.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I really enjoyed the first half. We were parked in their half, with our full backs well forward, playing some nice passing football, letting the younger players have a go. Williams is the most daring, willing to have a run at defences which has provided a goal scoring assist this season, plus his goal at Hartlepool.

I was really surprised how "up for the cup" the Portsmouth fans were. Did no-one tell them this was a Tuesday night paint pot tie? Even at £10, to take over 1,000 away is impressive. Was it a new ground for them (in a competitive match)? They did well with their songs until after about 15 minutes when they realised we were outclassing them.

Much has been said about the negative atmosphere at home games. Well the fans in the Oxford Mail did well, even joined in by South Stand at times. I had moved to behind the away dugout, with five German students sat in the same row, presumably out to enjoy an English game at the cheap prices. After the usual chants, mostly kicked off by Portsmouth singing their versions, there was a prolonged "Chrissy Wilder's Yellow Army" with lots of seat banging.
So was it that the fans in the East Stand could congregate together at the back, unencumbered by people not taking up their usual seats? Or was it that moaning season ticket holders turn up to home games because they've already got the ticket and don't want to lose value for money, whereas to pay for a ticket means you actually want to go and enjoy the game?

Second half the game changed with big centre forward Patrick Agyemang coming on. Also with a faint drizzle, the pitch was getting greasy, and both teams were hoofing the ball in the air, and even the ref slipped over at one point to cheers from both sets of fans. Portsmouth's first goal was bizarrely celebrated by their fans with "Easy, Easy" - which given our first half dominance was a bit of a piss-take. A defensive cock-up between I think Hall and Raynes led to their second goal, and Constable was spitting feathers at the restart. By now, the Pompey fans were singing all of the usual Wembley-bound songs. We pulled one back late on, but it wasn't enough.

A good run out for the younger players, and Scott Davies will be pressing for more starts based on this performance. Williams too can expect more game time, I would expect earlier substitutions of Potter, say at 65 minutes rather 80minutes. O'Dowda I think will probably be a last ten minute sub. As GY says, knocked off the ball a little too easily.