Play Up Oxford!

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Play Up Oxford!

Post by Kernow Yellow »

That was, quite simply, one of the most enjoyable days in 29 years of watching the Mighty Yellows. I'm not going to read too much into the result - it was one of those (rare) days when everything went right for us. But as a one-off spectacle, beating - nay thrashing - a team like Pompey in front of a full-to-bursting Fratton Park was just a joy to behold.

9am at Oxford station, and it was clear that every train heading south had dozens if not hundreds of OUFC fans aboard. A little research led us to the Artillery Arms, tucked away in a back street half a mile from the ground - a nice little pub with excellent ales, but the Pompey fans, while entirely unthreatening, didn't seem keen to engage with visitors, so we went for a quick drink in Mr Pickwicks on Milton Road to get the juices flowing before the big kick-off.

Once inside the ground the atmosphere was magnificent - two and a half thousand yellows singing non-stop must have inspired the players to the incredible performance which followed. Sure, we rode our luck a little in the first half, but even after going a goal down we were right at the home team whenever the opportunity arose. All four finishes were clinical - far better than you'd expect in League 2, and far better than we've seen from an Oxford side in years. Alfie clearly relished the spotlight, having a big hand in all four goals, and no-one who witnessed it can have failed to be moved by the crescendo of noise that greeted the victorious Us players as they slowly made their way to the away end at the final whistle. The feeling was indescribable, so I won't try.

After the game we sought refuge in first the Eastfield Hotel, and then the Rutland Arms, where the locals were so friendly and generous in defeat that I wished we'd spent more of the day there. All in all a proper football day out of the very best sort.

The rest of the season may well be an anti-climax after what happened today, but this game won't be forgotten in a hurry. And frankly, what we did see on the pitch gave massive cause for optimism - that this team can be tough, resilient, and ruthless. I haven't stopped grinning since the final whistle. On days like today, I just bloody love football.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: Play Up Oxford!

Post by OUFC4eva »

Certainly, as you said - a "proper" football away day in every sense!

Good old fashioned ground, full to bursting, plenty of colour and atmosphere,
some great pubs and ale, super weather, Yellow Army and a team who looked fit, organised and well drilled,
motivated and counter attacked to devastating effect.

You really have to cherish these days when everything goes right
- and CW touched on it. He also seems to be far more relaxed, confident and measured in his
recent Yellow Player interviews.Good to see and hear!

Loved the quote in the excellent Portsmouth Matchday Programme
from their Chairman Iain McInnes when writing about former U's and Pompey boss Jim Smith who
flew in from Spain for the match:

"We will all watch with great interest to see where Jim's loyalties
lie - I'm going to play safe and say the Rioja!"
Last edited by OUFC4eva on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yes, it was superb. It felt like suddenly being a couple of divisions higher, and the ground made it feel like being a couple of decades ago (in a good way). I was trying to remember if I've seen us score 4 away from home before. It doesn't spring obviously to mind.

I wish Pompey well though with their fans' run club (especially as their new chairperson is my wife's cousin!)
bob s
Toddler

Post by bob s »

All good posts - and well worth a read.
To err is human - to forgive is divine
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

As for four goals scored in away matches (let's forget the Conference i.e Histon 4-3 in 2009
and Grays 4-0 in 2010) I saw us net four at Stamford Bridge in 1986 when we won 4-1.

We have won 4-0 at Ashton Gate in 1970, 4-0 at Fulham in 1980, 4-0 at Gigg Lane in 2003,.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I remember the 0 - 4 at Craven Cottage in 1980. This was also something of a shock to the home side, if I recall.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re:FRATTON POST MATCH REACTION

Post by OUFC4eva »

The Post Match reaction from BBC Solent is an interesting listen - Pompey could not handle Potter and Rigg:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01cvdth

BBC Radio Oxford Post Match reaction (again fascinating as there is a lunatic
call to the show after about 7/8 minutes)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01dh4sd

The News Portsmouth have brought back their Saturday tea time Sportsmail for this season
- bet that's a good read.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompe ... -1-5305005
andy james womble
Brat

Post by andy james womble »

the four nil at ashton gate was my first away game ,the one at craven cottage was their then manager Bobby Campbell last game in charge remember the oufc fans joining in with the Campbell out chants :lol:
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

OUFC4eva wrote:As for four goals scored in away matches (let's forget the Conference i.e Histon 4-3 in 2009
and Grays 4-0 in 2010) I saw us net four at Stamford Bridge in 1986 when we won 4-1.

We have won 4-0 at Ashton Gate in 1970, 4-0 at Fulham in 1980, 4-0 at Gigg Lane in 2003,.
We also won 5-1 at Walsall on Boxing Day 1988, and 4-1 at Peterborough on the same date 1994. Surely there are more than that? Of all those mentioned above I only saw the game at London Road, which was another great day. Shame the season unfolded so badly after that though.
andy james womble
Brat

Post by andy james womble »

I have the Walsall game on a Walsall fc video tape
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Kitson worked his socks off. Tackling back and making space for others.

Smalley proved what a good player he can be.

Both wingers impressive, especially Potter - so much better down the right hand side without Batt being an option.

Mullins was strong in defence to take the strain off Jake.

Danny Rose struggled to make an impact until there was more space later on but he and Whing closed down well after we went behind.

Good to see Clarke back.

Pompey will be there or thereabouts once their players get to know each other but our finishing, for once, was clinical.

Great day out.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

First games of the season, especially away games, do not get better than that.

My MoM was Kitson, who was excellent all the time he was on the pitch, though I can fully understand why some would put Potter ahead.

Smalley had his best ever game for the Us by a very very long distance. A proper striker's performance and long may it continue.

If Kitson and Smalley continue to play like that, Beano won't get a game, other than from the bench.

Potter and Rigg were superb, although a very nit picking comment might be that Rigg gave the ball away a bit too much early on.

Mullins and Wright looks a very strong partnership.

Overall the team played very well. Portsmouth came out of the blocks hard and fast as we would expect, but apart from the goal, I wouldn't say we were unduly troubled to the extent of looking like we would concede further.

Once we started using the width of the pitch and closing Pompey down quickly, there was only ever one team that would win.

The remarks on those Radio Solent shows suggesting that we dropped back and played only on the break are well wide of the mark and very one eyed, as we might expect after such a mauling.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Interesting to see the lack of usual "why didn't Beano start, he's clearly our bestest player, like, EVA" brigade haven't yet been on. Where are you all?
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Kernow Yellow wrote:That was, quite simply, one of the most enjoyable days in 29 years of watching the Mighty Yellows. I'm not going to read too much into the result - it was one of those (rare) days when everything went right for us. But as a one-off spectacle, beating - nay thrashing - a team like Pompey in front of a full-to-bursting Fratton Park was just a joy to behold.
Couldn't agree more. I actually, Wembley being the exception, can't remember a better or more enjoyable away performance when all things are considered. Going away in front of 18,000+ in the league and performing like we did, was wonderful.

Credit to all the players and to the management too. Credit to 2500 crazy Oxford fans.

Kitson was outstanding, Potter a close second for my MOTM. The performance of Kitson, who had no protection from the referee, was remarkable. I cannot believe what an outstanding striker he has brought here. As GY states, Smalley and Kitson play like that, Beano won't get a look-in moving forwards.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yes, I agree - Kitson MOM for me as well. Just outstanding. Held the ball up, some nice little touches, won everything in the air, put himself about, wound up the opposition. What more could you want?