Southport

Anything yellow and blue
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Report received - many thanks.

You're not the only person who gets confused by my French - the French people I speak to also get utterly confounded by it too.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

on the subject of french, my french could be suffering from the complications of a successful season.

i'm due to be in paris for a conference 16-19th may. i'd planned to spend a couple of days afterwards swanning around paris, reading newspapers in street cafes, practicing my french, and generally enjoying paris in the spring.

the play-off final date now means i'm in posession of a eurostar return, plus a single flight from paris, in case we're not in the final, and the prospect of two possible sundays at distinctly opposite ends of the cultural scale.

la vie est plus difficile quand votre equipe n'est plus merd.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:
C'est tout relatif, mon ami.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

although generally &quotmerde&quot
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

exactly the sort of error i'll continue to make if oxford don't get promoted automatically!
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:on the subject of french, my french could be suffering from the complications of a successful season.

i'm due to be in paris for a conference 16-19th may. i'd planned to spend a couple of days afterwards swanning around paris, reading newspapers in street cafes, practicing my french, and generally enjoying paris in the spring.

the play-off final date now means i'm in posession of a eurostar return, plus a single flight from paris, in case we're not in the final, and the prospect of two possible sundays at distinctly opposite ends of the cultural scale.

Don't be such a snob about football fans mon ami.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

All this bad French reminds me that I'll be in gay Pariee for the second leg of the play-off semi. It's the first day of my honeymoon, so not something I can wangle out of. Not that I'd want to, of course. A bit annoying though after I'd carefully planned it NOT to clash with the play-offs.

I'll be safely back for the final though, and if we are in the play-offs I'd very much hope to make it to the first leg of the semi. Away at Exeter would be particularly helpful to my cause...

Salut mes potes
Allez les jaunes
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:All this bad French reminds me that I'll be in gay Pariee for the second leg of the play-off semi. It's the first day of my honeymoon, so not something I can wangle out of. Not that I'd want to, of course. A bit annoying though after I'd carefully planned it NOT to clash with the play-offs.

I'll be safely back for the final though, and if we are in the play-offs I'd very much hope to make it to the first leg of the semi. Away at Exeter would be particularly helpful to my cause...

Salut mes potes
Allez les jaunes
If you were a &quotreal&quot fan, you'd postpone the wedding. :lol:
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

I was in Paris for our first win of the year 3 weeks ago. What is it about Paris and people on this forum?

It was the first time I'd been to Paris and not had everything paid on expenses. €9 for half a litre of Stella or €40.00 for a bottle of Sancere! Complete rip-off, the same bottle of wine was €11.00 in the supermarket almost next door to the bar.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMally&quot wrote:I was in Paris for our first win of the year 3 weeks ago. What is it about Paris and people on this forum?

It was the first time I'd been to Paris and not had everything paid on expenses. €9 for half a litre of Stella or €40.00 for a bottle of Sancere! Complete rip-off, the same bottle of wine was €11.00 in the supermarket almost next door to the bar.
They probably nipped next door when you ordered it!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:All this bad French reminds me that I'll be in gay Pariee for the second leg of the play-off semi. It's the first day of my honeymoon, so not something I can wangle out of. Not that I'd want to, of course. A bit annoying though after I'd carefully planned it NOT to clash with the play-offs.

Salut mes potes
Allez les jaunes
If you were a &quotreal&quot fan, you'd postpone the wedding. :lol:

Quite right GY - several of us (who are attending said wedding) made that point upon hearing it was 31st March. In the football season just isn't right for a wedding......

I moved mine when it clashed with the FA cup final in 1999 - thank goodness the rearranged date was a sunny day.

Sacre bleu!
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

I'm not sure I've ever been anywhere and had everything paid on expenses.
entirely disenchanted
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:I'm not sure I've ever been anywhere and had everything paid on expenses.
I may have an explanation for that - the times I've been to all expenses paid corporate events I've not been able to remember them.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Maybe. But I'm fairly sure that as a low-grade civil servant or a librarian my invitiations to corporate events were relatively few.
entirely disenchanted
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

If you think Paris is a a rip-off you should go to London, or Oxford. At least in Paris you get decent food!