Three offered pro deals

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Three offered pro deals

Post by Mooro »

http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0019 ... 82189.aspx

Excellent news from the youth team - three scholars offered pro deals for next season - Callum O'dowda (forward/wide midfield), Sam Long (centre back, tho played right back in Senior cup) &amp David Lynn (left back).
All three have been very prominent for the YT this season, so great that they've been given the chance.
FTR - James Roberts is a year younger, turns 17 in August, so couldnt be offered anythign until then. There are also 2 or 3 others who are U18 regulars already, so have a good chance of similar fortune this time next year, James Ashby is a centre midfielder for one

They'll join Crocombe &amp Marsh in the Development squad starting next season, which sounds like a cross between the traditional reserves and an U21 side - which is intended to provide a proper stepping stone into the first team.
From what little else I can gleam, we are likely to pull in some other youngsters, probably those leaving top flight sides, to bolster the squad, but not too much detail has come out about that yet!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: Three offered pro deals

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0019 ... 82189.aspx

Excellent news from the youth team - three scholars offered pro deals for next season - Callum O'dowda (forward/wide midfield), Sam Long (centre back, tho played right back in Senior cup) &amp David Lynn (left back).
All three have been very prominent for the YT this season, so great that they've been given the chance.
FTR - James Roberts is a year younger, turns 17 in August, so couldnt be offered anythign until then. There are also 2 or 3 others who are U18 regulars already, so have a good chance of similar fortune this time next year, James Ashby is a centre midfielder for one

They'll join Crocombe &amp Marsh in the Development squad starting next season, which sounds like a cross between the traditional reserves and an U21 side - which is intended to provide a proper stepping stone into the first team.
From what little else I can gleam, we are likely to pull in some other youngsters, probably those leaving top flight sides, to bolster the squad, but not too much detail has come out about that yet!
Good news Mooro but I suspect that a change at the very top may be required if these potential lights are going to shine.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:Good news Mooro but I suspect that a change at the very top may be required if these potential lights are going to shine.
Indeed. We have no idea whether or not they're good enough unless they get some game time.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Let's hope that a couple of them have very good Professional careers.

Good news if they make it to the first team and contribute. Some credit to IL who has backed the Youth development when FK ran it down.

With the huge losses, I guess one thing that IL could look at is cutting back on the youth development. Hopefully the investment will start paying off at last.

I do agree that for the young players to flourish it needs a manager who is able and willing to blood the young players at the right time. I realy fail to see this season why Marsh was not played more in the JP Trophy, why O'Dowda has yet to come on etc.

CW, like Atkins seems to have an aversion against playing the youngsters. I ma sure that Simon Lenagan especially will be encouraging his father to ensure that the manager is prepared to use some of the younget players.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

good news indeed.

with the investment put into the youth set up, i should think 'results' will need to be in evidence: whether that's players breaking through for a good run in the first team, or money coming in from sales.

hopefully a good amount of the first, possibly followed later by some of the second.
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0026 ... 92565.aspx

&quotAiden [Hawtin] has been offered an extension to his scholarship due to the injury and will hopefully be back fully fit for pre-season.&quot

More good news.