The Fat Lady

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

The Fat Lady

Post by Snake »

She’s still not singing after the Bradford result tonight.

Not a &quottipping point&quot yet then...
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re: The Fat Lady

Post by Ancient Colin »

To add to my list from Doing The Right Thing ...
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:OK, so:

Exeter lose to Chesterfield and Cheltenham leaving them on 64 points
Bradford lose to Rotherham, Burton and Gillingham with an aggregate goal difference of -10 leaving them on 65 points (||2)
Chesterfield lose to Plymouth and Fleetwood but beat Exeter 64 points
Fleetwood beat Chesterfield but lose to or draw with Wimbledon, 63 or 64 points
and the simple one: Oxford beat Rochdale and Accrington with an aggregate goal difference of ||10 (5-0 and 5-0 will do), 65 points (||3)
Southend and Wycombe aren't allowed to go mad ...

so technically, we are not yet out of the playoffs?!
... we now also now need Southend to draw or lose at least one of their remaining games.

One for the statisticians: when did we last win two league games in a row by an aggregate score of ||10?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:To add to my list from Doing The Right Thing ...
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:OK, so:

Exeter lose to Chesterfield and Cheltenham leaving them on 64 points
Bradford lose to Rotherham, Burton and Gillingham with an aggregate goal difference of -10 leaving them on 65 points (||2)
Chesterfield lose to Plymouth and Fleetwood but beat Exeter 64 points
Fleetwood beat Chesterfield but lose to or draw with Wimbledon, 63 or 64 points
and the simple one: Oxford beat Rochdale and Accrington with an aggregate goal difference of ||10 (5-0 and 5-0 will do), 65 points (||3)
Southend and Wycombe aren't allowed to go mad ...

so technically, we are not yet out of the playoffs?!
... we now also now need Southend to draw or lose at least one of their remaining games.

One for the statisticians: when did we last win two league games in a row by an aggregate score of ||10?
On the 23rd of April 1996 Oxford United beat Shrewsbury Town 6-0 at The Manor and then in the next home game beat Peterborough 4-0. And in-between there was the vital 2-1 win at Crewe when the away end was full two hours before kick off when a minor miracle was needed. That’s the closest I can offer to your statistical challenge.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Are Bradford going to completely Oxford up their season? :D
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: And in-between there was the vital 2-1 win at Crewe when the away end was full two hours before kick off when a minor miracle was needed. That’s the closest I can offer to your statistical challenge.
Ah yes, I remember the chants of &quotWe can see you sneaking in&quot as the first few home supporters trickled in... :lol:
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

&quotShoobedoo&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote: And in-between there was the vital 2-1 win at Crewe when the away end was full two hours before kick off when a minor miracle was needed. That’s the closest I can offer to your statistical challenge.
Ah yes, I remember the chants of &quotWe can see you sneaking in&quot as the first few home supporters trickled in... :lol:
That was all a bit bizarre, we were all in place before the team coach arrived and the players all popped their heads round the corner to have a look.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

As I recall, there was a rather lonely looking individual in the home end, his sandwiches in a M&ampS carrier bag, serenaded by the away fans with &quotSh*t ground, one fan&quot.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I still get tingles whenever I think of that match, the best game I've ever seen.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

And greatly enhanced by the result from the Blackpool game. So yeah, minor miracles can happen, and Saturday 26th April 1996 is a day that I will never forget. We were singing ‘2-1 to the Walsall boys’ outside when the news filtered through. Happy days..

http://int.soccerway.com/matches/1996/0 ... -fc/32838/
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

The differently proportioned person with a gender determined by more X chromosones than another gender has made cantillated ... now what?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote: now what?
Well, CW wrote in yesterday's programme notes about how determined he was to work hard through the summer to make sure this season's failures didn't recur next year. &quot I think most supporters know we are not a million miles off where we need to be, but we also recognise that we have to make it happen sooner rather than later. I am very confident that during the summer we can make that a reality as one club together.&quot

But after the game he said he didn't know whether he would still be manager next season. &quotI'll just keep working and wait until the chairman speaks to me,&quot he said. &quotHe's supported me. Whoever takes over - if it isn't me carrying on - will have a club that's in a lot healthier position than when I took over four years ago. The club has made great strides.&quot

I wonder whether anyone at the club actually knows what's going to happen next?
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

These impressions are rather personal, but I certainly didn't feel from the RadOx interview that CW was confident he was staying: either he didn't know, or knew he was going....