Idolo : Joey Beauchamp

Anything yellow and blue
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Idolo : Joey Beauchamp

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Anybody know Italian?

(I've already consulted Babelfish, thanks.)
entirely disenchanted
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

No. Though I think I get the general gist of bits of it - maybe the GCSE Latin from 18 years ago is still lurking in my subconscious.

It seems to be more of a summary than a review, unless I understand even less than I think I do. Must say I'm slightly surprised it's been translated into Italian.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

You're surprised? Imagine how I reacted when I discovered it by chance on the internet.

It's not the first time, though. Last year I was playing in a chess tournament in the Czech Republic and I spent an hour browsing in a bookshop. I picked up a book with Nick Hornby on the cover, started reading (well, &quotlooking&quot more like, as I know maybe twenty words of Czech) and after a few minutes it dawned on me that I was actually reading something I'd written myself.
entirely disenchanted
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

It's a bit weirdly written too. OK, as best as I can do.

&quotEd Horton - To disappear? (Oxf Utd 91-92): as a piece in itself it is not really good: particularly the start of it (where one has to read about the economic disasters of a third rank club). However it offers an interesting point of view, that of a supporter of a team which is in danger of disappearing, that is a victim {prey?} of poor financial games. A situation in which someone (even one who is a supporter of a never-winning team) can mirror himself {sorry don't really understand this bit}. One never knows what to do exactly, because every action can be 'used' by someone who has more power than you (and there are many such in the United case: there are people using the name for dirty business and the newspapers - affected first of all by the board's view). An unforseen event will open the way towards a moral victory for the team, which, falling back only only on its own resoucess and making room for young players, will manage to save itself at the last match with a clamorous {?} comeback. A great sporting story which rarely comes true. Idol: Joey Beauchamp.&quot
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Ta.

I blame the publisher's translation.
entirely disenchanted
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

the publisher usually is to blame :roll:
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Whats happened to Ed Horton now?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Whats happened to Ed Horton now?
Yes Peña, what has happened to Ed Horton?
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

He has gone, never to return.
entirely disenchanted
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Ed Horton? Never heard of him.

Here's a note from an Italian lass at work:
here 's a quick gest of what the text below means:

the text offers a peculiar point of view, that of the footbal fan of a club at risk of disappearing. A scenario in which whoever is not a fan of big successful clubs can see themselves, you never know what to do becuase every action can be manipulated by someone who's got more power. An unforeseen event will change the moral fortunes of the team who working on their own strengths and giving space to the youth will make a big come back and will manage to save itself on the last day. A story of great sport that unfortunately doesn't happen that often.

P.S. bear in mind I'm a crap translator, and the text in italian is a bit funny - I can't really understand bits of it myself!
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Well, better to ask a real Italian than a pseudo one, clearly!
Crabbers
Embryo

Post by Crabbers »

heard he was &quotsupporting&quot stevenage borough these days. also heard he's changed his name. not going to say to what, but by all accounts the surgery was 100% successful*...

*part of this is true, you'll just have to work out which bits.