Anything yellow and blue
greenmurphy
Sperm

Re: Wilder to Coventry?

Post by greenmurphy »

http&#58//www&#46bbc&#46co&#46uk/sport/ ... l/17817552

So Wilder wants to here?

Madness.

He has won nothing yet - and Coventry could be the shape of his managerial tombstone.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

If IL can hang on to Chris for a couple more months then Brendan Rodgers will become free.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotgreenmurphy&quot wrote:http&#58//www&#46bbc&#46co&#46uk/sport/ ... l/17817552

So Wilder wants to here?

Madness.

He has won nothing yet - and Coventry could be the shape of his managerial tombstone.
Who says he wants to be there? The rumours started from the Coventry end because they want him. Even if he did want to go, they're a much bigger club than us and they're in a higher division.

Bear in mind also that we were at our lowest ebb for about 50 years when he joined Oxford...
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:God - we don't learn do we !

Atkins was n't universally liked or appreciated in my view and many
clamoured for his departure and Kassam duly engineered it in ham fisted and clumsy way.

What followed was the unmitigated disaster in Rix, only there for six months, the Diaz experiment and
then a shocking relegation under Talbot and Jim did not help. Patto then took over
and failed after Jim overspent and underachieved.

Changing the Manager especially at this club often fails - BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.

Wilder has done and is doing an excellent job and anyone wanting him out needs
to understand that there is not necessarily a new dawn just around the corner.

The wrong appointment now (if that is what we are looking at) and God know's what might happen.
Agree. Wholeheartedly. Stability is more often than not the key to success in football.

If Wilder goes then even if we replace him with a 'good' manager there is abolsutely no guarantee it will work.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Hang on a minute. If CW goes it will be because he has chosen to, not because a subset of Oxford fans want him out. What we will not know is the substance of any conversation between CW and IL - but surely (should it be the case) IL blocking CWs departure if he wishes to go will also be destabilising? If he goes, however, at least the process by which he was appointed is more likely to produce a sound replacement than pre-IL methods. We cannot know for sure things will improve (all we can be certain of is death, taxes and cliches), but either way I think that in IL, the club is in safe hands.
STEVE F
Brat

Post by STEVE F »

IF REQUIRED POSS NEW MANAGERS PHIL BROWN , OR STEVE COTTERILL RICHARD MONEY STILL NO NEWS OUT OF COVENTRY SO JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE MY MAIN CONCERN AT THE MOMENT IS TO STUFF THE SCUM IN THE JPS
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19464582
LENAGAN
There has been no approach, But Coventry are a good club and let's be honest they could approach us and Chris.
Chris has completely changed the landscape of the club, He has improved the quality of the football and every year that has gone by Chris has improved the team. The squad he has built is excellent.
We've been very clear in what our objectives our and we feel we are a Championship club in the making.
There is no reason why, with the team Chris has built, that we should not start that process by winning promotion to League One next.
We have high regard for Chris and we would want him to stay and will do everything possible to persuade him stay.
But at the same time you've got to recognise that big clubs are attractive and if it were Manchester United we would say 'yes' and would not stop him.
Coventry are somewhere along the line from League Two towards that level and they have been at the highest level.
It's not a job he would ignore but, at the same time, we would try and persuade him that Oxford had a future and a very strong one.

WILDER
You've got to get on with it and until Mr Lenagan calls me in the office speaks to me, my work is here
We've got a big game on Wednesday and I do understand how important and crucial that game is to everyone at this football club. And that will always be my sole aim.
We're in a decent place. It's going okay and I fully expect to be preparing the team on Wednesday until I'm told otherwise.
--------------------------------
The club always trots out the line of allowing players to move to a higher level, but this time it reads to me as if Lenagan is inviting the approach and would let him go. Also Wilder's comments indicate he might not get much say in the matter (other than presumably agreeing personal terms).
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:The club always trots out the line of allowing players to move to a higher level, but this time it reads to me as if Lenagan is inviting the approach and would let him go. Also Wilder's comments indicate he might not get much say in the matter (other than presumably agreeing personal terms).
That's a bit of a stretch, given what's been reported. Just sounds like they're giving non-committal responses to media questions about rumours started by Coventry.

I presume that they would have to ask us if they wanted to invite Wilder to apply, and he would have to ask the chairman if he wanted to apply of his own accord. This may have happened, but it makes no sense for Lenagan to lie about that, so I doubt it.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:I'd be gutted if Wilder left, but I couldn't blame him. Since 21st December 2008 I'd say Stevenage and Wimbledon have definiely made more progress than us, and Southampton and Norwich probably have, but that's pretty close with us, and I can't get anyone else who's come further than we have in the 3 and a half years Wilder's been here.
Crawley?
Cheltenham?
Accrington?
Crewe?
Swinedown?
Fleetwood?
Brighton?
Blackpool?
Leeds?
QPR?
Reading?
Swansea?

There are loads of clubs who have made good progress.

In Wilder's time in charge we have made up one division, despite having probably more resources than anyone else has had in the Conference, and more than most in League 2.

Don't get me wrong, Wilder has done a good job, but I don't think he is capable of taking us any further.

I won't cry whether he goes or stays at present. If he is still here come Christmas and we are not looking like nailed on promotion candidates, then the tears will flow if he stays.&quot

Agree with all of this. Would rather we get paid for him to go, than have to pay him to leave when we're still searching for a settled starting XI in December. He's done a decent, but unspectacular job for us. He hasn't from any of his many mistakes...if Cov want him, let him have a go at bettering himself there.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Wilder still odds on favourite, but odds shortening for Dennis Wise &amp Steve Staunton.

IF you were a Cov fan, whihc of those three would you want?

Wonder whether Fordie would apply for the OUFC job if Wilder did go?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Wonder whether Fordie would apply for the OUFC job if Wilder did go?
Magilton would be the best combination of experience, skill and romance, methinks.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Wilder still odds on favourite, but odds shortening for Dennis Wise &amp Steve Staunton.

IF you were a Cov fan, whihc of those three would you want?

Wonder whether Fordie will apply for the OUFC job if Wilder did go?
As I’m not a Cov fan I can’t properly answer that question. They have a nice new and impressive Stadium but are in as much financial poo as we were when Wilder was properly appointed by Kelvin.

Of course Fordy will apply as he’s Oxford through and through and it would be rude of him to not casually ask WPL, but he won’t get the job despite his success at Court Place Farm. He would however be a decent backstage member of any new management set up, imo. IL has saved a big pile of dosh in sacking KT and should Wilder go or not then I can’t see how using part of that money and bringing in Mike Ford would be an unreasonable financial gamble.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/covent ... -31778330/

Coventry Telegraph understands Wilder not in the running for the job.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Oxford Mail also reporting that Wilder not on short list.

Looks like this is going to have been a bit of a non-story.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

now linked with Chesterfield. Interesting to speculate on his visit there on Tuesday night. Checking the place out, scouting, visiting family and getting a game in, or preparing for the league game in two months time? There were several other JPT games on that night, including teams like Burton, Rotherham, Exeter, Southend.