Need a win to have a chance but still not enough
9%
Out of it before final week
4%

Total votes: 23

SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Under previous managers I'd have said 'need a point and lose'. Under Wilder I voted for 'need a win and get it'

That's been the hallmark of this season's team - being able to stop the rot after only a couple of bad games, rather than the couple of season-ruining months that we've had before.

Of the five clubs still in the fight, I think the Gills would have to be super-lucky to get a playoff spot now - they needed to beat us last weekend to have a realistic chance. And as I mentioned in another thread, I suspect that both we and Crewe will overtake Cheltenham, but that's purely a hunch not based on any serious analysis.
Last edited by SmileyMan on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

I've been doing this in my head for the last couple of weeks. Sticking my neck out, I'd say it's two from three - Chelt, us and Crewe - and we all have fairly tricky fixtures.

Crewe v Chelterham - Crewe Win
Plymouth v Ox - really should win, but I think Draw

So Cheltenham 71, Crewe 70, Ox 68

Ox - Southend - Ox win
Torquay - Crewe - Torquay win
Chelt - Bradford - Chelt win

So Cheltenham 74, Ox 71, Crewe 70

Plymouth - Cheltenham - draw
Crewe - Aldershot - draw
Port Vale - Ox - draw

So Cheltenham 75, Ox 72, Crewe 71

Obviously that would mean that we could afford to lose on the final day as long as Crewe were held. the absolute key is to win at least one, and I think that should be Southend at home who hopefully we will safely in the play-offs by then. A win on Sat at Plymouth would be very handy indeed though.

Clearly it won't happen like this at all....
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

I'm going to play the &quotone game at a time&quot card and hence abstain.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote: And as I mentioned in another thread, I suspect that both we and Crewe will overtake Cheltenham, but that's purely a hunch not based on any serious analysis.
I saw that, and a few weeks back thought that both they and Southend were potentially catchable, but this run in has been notable for the large proportion of games the top clubs have had against poorer opposition, and therefore even those losing a bit of momentum have still been able to pick up points quite regularly, meaning the much hoped for meltdowns among the Top6 have never really happened.

Even now, Southend are 7pts ahead (with Barnet and Macclesfield to host) and Cheltenham 4, and while the latter have to go to Crewe (&amp Plymouth), they've also got Bradford at home in between, which they should be able to win, so unless you expect both Oxford AND Crewe to win three from three then they seem pretty safe to me
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I see no reason why Crewe should be held at home by Aldershot on the last day of the season, so I think we need to better their results during the next two games in order not to have a very nervy trip to Vale Park.

Ultimately, of course, it's all in our own hands. Win our games, and we don't need to worry about what anyone else is doing. I hope that is what CW is impressing upon our players - go out, be positive, score goals and win the games and we're in the play-offs.

However, I also see no reason to think that we are about to win 3 in a row when we haven't managed that feat all season. Our current form suggests a couple of draws in our next two matches. Squeaky bum time indeed.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

I said a while ago on another thread that I thought Crewe would overtake us and that we would need to overtake Cheltenham (or someone else above us) to get into the play-offs. I cannot see us catching anyone above now but, sadly, I still see Crewe winning both their home games and sneaking above us as we stutter to a couple of draws and, maybe, a win.........

Oh, to be an optimist!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: I hope that is what CW is impressing upon our players - go out, be positive, score goals and win the games
Easy, this management lark. Wonder what the other managers in the mix are impressing on their players? But, yes - a very valid approach.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Unfortunately not looking great due to the lack of momentum which has allowed Cheltenham to get away again and Crewe to close the gap.

I would settle for a couple of wins which may be good enough but on current form all 3 games are difficult and I could see maybe 3 draws.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: I hope that is what CW is impressing upon our players - go out, be positive, score goals and win the games
Easy, this management lark. Wonder what the other managers in the mix are impressing on their players? But, yes - a very valid approach.
I think plenty of teams, us included, often set out first and foremost not to lose games - be solid, don't concede, keep possession, move the ball about and hope to nick a goal or two. Make sure you get at worst a draw, and hope for more. That's not to say you don't *try* to score goals, but you don't take too many risks doing so.

But draws probably won't be good enough for us now. We need to go for it a bit more than usual.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote: And as I mentioned in another thread, I suspect that both we and Crewe will overtake Cheltenham, but that's purely a hunch not based on any serious analysis.
I saw that, and a few weeks back thought that both they and Southend were potentially catchable, but this run in has been notable for the large proportion of games the top clubs have had against poorer opposition, and therefore even those losing a bit of momentum have still been able to pick up points quite regularly, meaning the much hoped for meltdowns among the Top6 have never really happened.

Even now, Southend are 7pts ahead (with Barnet and Macclesfield to host) and Cheltenham 4, and while the latter have to go to Crewe (&amp Plymouth), they've also got Bradford at home in between, which they should be able to win, so unless you expect both Oxford AND Crewe to win three from three then they seem pretty safe to me
I did say it was a hunch, and not based on anything like reason or statistical likelihood.

They're 7/2 on Betfair to miss out on a top 7 spot, so maybe I should put my money where my mouth is...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

WeÔÇÖll get there one way or another. After that then itÔÇÖs just a 1 in 4 lottery.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

We'll need a win a Vale and we'll get it.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I had a horrible feeling after the Morecambe game that we wouldn't win another match this season.

So far, so bad.

But I've always been a doom and gloom merchant.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Can I change my answer please? :(
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Can I change my answer please? :(
Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get another poll before the Port Vale game.