Keepers

Anything yellow and blue

Should we always have a keeper on the bench (presuming a competent and fit one is available)?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 18

Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

I think a) he should have been on the bench &amp b) he should have come on when it was clear Clarke was struggling.

I am sure our opponents would rather have been trying to score past a knackered first choice keeper than a fit second choice. (I could be wrong).
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Try telling Dalglish you don't need a keeper on the bench at the mo'! Although he has the seven so he would but things could've been even funnier for them last few games...
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

If I can turn the question around, why do we employ three keepers if we have no intention of using the third choice?
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

...or if you have a keeper who is good enough to be offered a pro contract and be on the bench and you don't play him what does that do to his morale? Not good enough to play apparently.

Typical CW attitude to young players at the club but to compound it he brings in another young player from outside the club.

I'll leave my long rant until after Port Vale.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:...or if you have a keeper who is good enough to be offered a pro contract and be on the bench and you don't play him what does that do to his morale? Not good enough to play apparently.

Typical CW attitude to young players at the club but to compound it he brings in another young player from outside the club.

I'll leave my long rant until after Port Vale.
Or you could say that bringing in a player with England U19 experience who has played 3 times (?) in the Championship might represent better experience than a player who has had a pro contract for, what is it now.... 4 weeks and never played in front of 9,000|| people before. I feel if he'd had a better game, we'd be saying just that. But he didn't. Oh, well.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:If I can turn the question around, why do we employ three keepers if we have no intention of using the third choice?
Because his employment is about the future, not the here and now? Given the nature of yesterday's game, I would rather have seen an experienced old lag come in rather than a young kid with relatively little experience of big match pressure. Then again, they were so much better than us, I doubt that would have made such a difference...
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

You know my normal stance on this sort of thing, but as said he's only just been signed as a pro and for the longer term rather than such a crucial game in the run-in, so have no issue with Crocombe not starting tomorrow (I'm actually fairly happy they've taken someone on as well as Marsh at all).

My only issue is with choice of loanee, but none of us have any idea which experienced keepers were available out there at 24 hours notice...

Actually, saying that is my only issue is not totally true, as I have to mention the co-incidence, if that IS what it is, that on the only two occasions that Brown has been called on, he has failed to be available for more than one game,.......

Anyway, where was Judgey when we needed him?
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Nice article from a manger backing his teenage goalie:
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/boro-fc/bo ... -30132273/

“He’s a very talented young guy, a very confident young man. We’ve got a lot of faith in young Connor, he works hard in training every day, he’s got a great personality and he’s a very, very good goalkeeper and he’s got a bright future in front of him.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Sorry, but I thought he was shocking. He was at fault for both goals and has Dubes to thank for not giving Southend a third.

At half time I was half wondering whether CW might take him off to prevent a rout and bring Crowcombe on.

I'm not normally this negative and I'm certainly not after CW's head on a plate, but I'm just trying to be a bit realistic.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Actually, saying that is my only issue is not totally true, as I have to mention the co-incidence, if that IS what it is, that on the only two occasions that Brown has been called on, he has failed to be available for more than one game,.......
I wonder if the lack of reserve games, and the prospect of never being even on the bench has something to do with it. Going to the gym only keeps you so fit.

And now we've tried the experiment of bringing on three strikers. We still lost.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:Sorry, but I thought he was shocking. He was at fault for both goals and has Dubes to thank for not giving Southend a third.
I'll give you the first one, but the second? Really?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Keepers

Post by slappy »

Brown had been on the bench 13 times, including six games in a row in February/March. He was also on the bench at Northampton, but not the next match vs Torquay where Clarke was injured second half. There had been a couple of home games where Clarke had seemed to be carrying a shoulder injury, but I haven't really heard too much more about what he's done, what the recovery process is, or whether he needs an operation, or just rest and recovery.