Capello out

Anything yellow and blue
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

To be honest, I'd love it if Ian Holloway got the job, mainly because I just think he's brilliant, and has good principles about footballers (I don't want to see robots playing football, Rooney shouldn't be able hold Ferguson to ransom etc). But also I really think he could do a good job, he's shown that he's a brilliant man-manager, and I think the fact that none of the players have managed him before could be good.
Unfortunately we live in the real world, and I've got about as much chance as he does.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:Rooney shouldn't be able hold Ferguson to ransom etc
Did I hear that Rooney (current England player) was tweeting about who he thought the next England manager should be? If so that's a ridiculous state of affairs already.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by joepoolman »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: Did I hear that Rooney (current England player) was tweeting about who he thought the next England manager should be? If so that's a ridiculous state of affairs already.
&quotGutted capello has quit. Good guy and top coach. Got to be english to replace him. Harry redknapp for me.&quot
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Maybe Rosie the Dog can do it in the meantime. Should be an account already set up for the payments.

So, the jury system, good or bad for justice? Discuss.
HMRC do themselves no favours. Spend £7m chasing £200k, while letting Goldman Sachs off £25bn for the price of a cosy lunch.

If they really wanted to help the country, they'd be pushing hard for simpler, easier-to-apply-but-hard-to-avoid taxes. But since the Office of Tax Simplification was set up to do exactly that, HMRC and the Treasury civil servants have consistently been the ones sticking every possible spanner in every possible cog.

Why? To protect their jobs of course - simpler taxes means fewer inspectors.

Faced with a choice between a fiscally corrupt football manager and a morally corrupt taxman, the jury was only going to go one way. And good on them for it.
I couldn't agree more.

Until legislation is changed to tax earnings and income at the location the duties are performed, rather than at a non-existant base in a tax haven, then you will continually get sharp end tax avoidance that HMRC want to treat as tax evasion but have no legal grounds to do so.

Another big problem with HMRC is that they &quotinvest&quot far too much money in tax and penalty collection, and nowhere near enough in tax determination. This means that they massively disproportionately set out to claim tax and penalties that are not due, incurring huge costs in the process, where spending time checking if the tax was due in the first place would avoid those costs.

I could give you hundreds of examples where this occurs on a daily basis.

HMRC is an ageing leviathan of a dinosaur of an organisation, particularly as regards payroll and employment taxes, and VAT and needs complete top down re-organisation and a total change of approach.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
Please don't!
Andrewmaha
Brat

Re:

Post by Andrewmaha »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:On the England manager front, surely I'm not alone in thinking that Harry would be a terrible choice for the job?

His best skill has always been picking up great players for bargain prices. A skill that's completely useless for an international manager.

My choice would be Sam Allardyce. His skill is taking players that have underperformed at other clubs, and fitting them into teams that definitely are more than the sum of their parts. Exactly right for internation management.

Or what about poor Stuart Pierce? Why not promote him from the Under-21s, and at the same time have a good clearout of the 'golden generation' - write off the Euros as experience building and aim for the World Cup in 2014. Worked for Germany, and worked for the rugby team last weekend.
Down in Wales we are all rooting for big Sam.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It will be like watching Stoke play.

Crouch 1st name on teamsheet.

SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I couldn't agree more.
OK, now I'm nervous - you never agree with anything I say!

Although on pottersrightboot's point, I should point out that I mean the HMRC managers and mandarins are the problem. Individual officers are invariably helpful and understanding - I spoke to a lovely chap from Cumbernauld about an hour ago (my company just bought a nurse I think that's how it works according to the newspapers?)

But I was involved in some of the OTS stuff last year as part of a working group, and it was clear that the tax men thought 'tax simplification' meant 'make laws allowing us to take taxes more simply.' Utterly hopeless people with seemingly no understanding of business, logic or economics.

Back to the footie point. Pearce has got the caretaker gig for the Holland match hope he makes a good fist of it. Would really like to see him play a young team, especially for a friendly.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I couldn't agree more.
OK, now I'm nervous - you never agree with anything I say!

Although on pottersrightboot's point, I should point out that I mean the HMRC managers and mandarins are the problem. Individual officers are invariably helpful and understanding - I spoke to a lovely chap from Cumbernauld about an hour ago (my company just bought a nurse I think that's how it works according to the newspapers?)

But I was involved in some of the OTS stuff last year as part of a working group, and it was clear that the tax men thought 'tax simplification' meant 'make laws allowing us to take taxes more simply.' Utterly hopeless people with seemingly no understanding of business, logic or economics.

Back to the footie point. Pearce has got the caretaker gig for the Holland match hope he makes a good fist of it. Would really like to see him play a young team, especially for a friendly.
I try not to agree or disagree with people, but rather the points they are making. Sorry if it hasn't reconciled with your points that much recently, it wasn't on purpose!

As I said, the biggest problem is the badly skewed allocation of resources, particularly under the last Government, whose attitude was, bang on the door for long enough and loud enough and send enough threatening letters, and you get the money out of the tax payer and then we can worry about whether it was due later when we've hung onto the taxpayers money for a long time causing maximum stress.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:On the England manager front, surely I'm not alone in thinking that Harry would be a terrible choice for the job?

His best skill has always been picking up great players for bargain prices. A skill that's completely useless for an international manager.

My choice would be Sam Allardyce. His skill is taking players that have underperformed at other clubs, and fitting them into teams that definitely are more than the sum of their parts. Exactly right for internation management.

Or what about poor Stuart Pierce? Why not promote him from the Under-21s, and at the same time have a good clearout of the 'golden generation' - write off the Euros as experience building and aim for the World Cup in 2014. Worked for Germany, and worked for the rugby team last weekend.
Agree 100% - anything that keeps ‘Arry at Spurs would be great for the Premier League and I’d hate to see a great bloke like that vilified in the media come July when Engerland do their usual stuff at major international competitions...

I don’t think it’s as straightforward as the bookies make out. For a start he’s getting on in life and appears to like the day-to-day job of managing Spurs. Under his reign Tottenham could really do something special and like I’ve said earlier almost ANYONE could manage the Engerland team to a quarter or semi final. Plus, Harry is not short of money as we all now know.

Not that I’m biased mind, given the fact that Brendon Rogers will be right up there to move aboard in the summer if Redknapp leaves White Hart Lane - http://www.oddschecker.com/football/foo ... nt-manager
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

I'm sure I'll be shot down for this but how can the FA say they 'prefer' an English or British manager?

If I advertised a role and made such a stipulation, I don't believe my feet would touch the ground.....have I missed something?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:I'm sure I'll be shot down for this but how can the FA say they 'prefer' an English or British manager?

If I advertised a role and made such a stipulation, I don't believe my feet would touch the ground.....have I missed something?
The English FA (I hope) are nationalists, and that’s not a crime. Your last manager was white but could not speak English properly or be bothered to learn your language, even on £6m a year.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:I'm sure I'll be shot down for this but how can the FA say they 'prefer' an English or British manager?

The English FA (I hope) are nationalists, and that’s not a crime. Your last manager was white but could not speak English properly or be bothered to learn your language, even on £6m a year.
Bet he can still read and write it better than the next one though.
Andrewmaha
Brat

Re:

Post by Andrewmaha »

&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:

Bet he can still read and write it better than the next one though.
Agree.

http&#58//www&#46offthepost&#46info/blo ... -redknapp/
pottersrightboot
Brat

Re:

Post by pottersrightboot »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Maybe Rosie the Dog can do it in the meantime. Should be an account already set up for the payments.

So, the jury system, good or bad for justice? Discuss.
HMRC do themselves no favours. Spend £7m chasing £200k, while letting Goldman Sachs off £25bn for the price of a cosy lunch.

If they really wanted to help the country, they'd be pushing hard for simpler, easier-to-apply-but-hard-to-avoid taxes. But since the Office of Tax Simplification was set up to do exactly that, HMRC and the Treasury civil servants have consistently been the ones sticking every possible spanner in every possible cog.

Why? To protect their jobs of course - simpler taxes means fewer inspectors.

Faced with a choice between a fiscally corrupt football manager and a morally corrupt taxman, the jury was only going to go one way. And good on them for it.
I couldn't agree more.

Until legislation is changed to tax earnings and income at the location the duties are performed, rather than at a non-existant base in a tax haven, then you will continually get sharp end tax avoidance that HMRC want to treat as tax evasion but have no legal grounds to do so.

Another big problem with HMRC is that they &quotinvest&quot far too much money in tax and penalty collection, and nowhere near enough in tax determination. This means that they massively disproportionately set out to claim tax and penalties that are not due, incurring huge costs in the process, where spending time checking if the tax was due in the first place would avoid those costs.

HMRC is an ageing leviathan of a dinosaur of an organisation, particularly as regards payroll and employment taxes, and VAT and needs complete top down re-organisation and a total change of approach.

Yep, quick let's hire some consultants.

I don't wholly agree with this view. HMRC's understanding of the terrible constraints some businesses are under far exceeds that of the banks. In my opinion.

PAYE system per se is also more than adequate. It collects tax at source and as a consequence most people don't have to file tax returns.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

I recently had an issue with HMRC where my mother-in-law (who had passed away by this point) apparently owed tax on some inheritance she had received a few years ago.

I won't go into the boring details but HMRC were very wrong about it being owed but all they kept doing was sending threatening letters without any explanation as to why this money might be due.

Stupid organisation who rely on fear to try to get the job done.