Constable Gone?

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotHog&quot wrote:It's taking a long time to cobble together these &quotfurther details to follow&quot...
Well, here's Kelvin's reaction.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

I think this is being read into too much. A bid came in which the club felt was good value (and seeing as transfer fees get so hushed up I certainly don't really know what good value is), so the club decided to accept, telling Constable he could talk to Slumdon. After a bit of talk to his family and having a little think about it he decided he didn't want to talk to Slumdon, even though he knew he'd get more money. I don't understand why everyone's so upset with the chairman and manager, they'd already turned down two offers so they must've been holding out for good value.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:I think this is being read into too much. A bid came in which the club felt was good value (and seeing as transfer fees get so hushed up I certainly don't really know what good value is), so the club decided to accept, telling Constable he could talk to s*****n. After a bit of talk to his family and having a little think about it he decided he didn't want to talk to s*****n, even though he knew he'd get more money. I don't understand why everyone's so upset with the chairman and manager, they'd already turned down two offers so they must've been holding out for good value.
Read through this thread and you will see why people are upset with the management of this issue, which has been shoddy to say the least.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by joepoolman »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Read through this thread and you will see why people are upset with the management of this issue, which has been shoddy to say the least.
I have read through it, and I agree that they could have managed it better, mainly by making it clear that Beano didn't ask to talk to them, but as someone else pointed out had they not announced the bid it would have got out one way or another, and it was good to hear it from the club. The abuse on twitter was by people that jumped to conclusions, but they only abused him because they thought he wanted to go. And partly mishandling one situation doesn't suddenly make a great chairman/manager (as far as I'm concerned) a bad one.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I've just heard the Kelvin Thomas interivew about the defunct transfer. There are so many holes in what he is saying. Saying one thing, then realising the implications and backtracking.

I've lost a lot of respect for Thomas and Wilder through this episode. Previously I have been happy that they have been as open and honest as they could be with the supporters. With this episode, I don't believe that to be the case.
dr ceri
Brat

Post by dr ceri »

I agree with you on the whole GY, but it should be fairly obvious that Wilder doesn't rate Constable enough to take us forward and they're keen to get rid for the best price possible. KT can hardly come out and say that without disrupting the player/annoying the fans/strangling any bargaining power they have with any prospective suitors.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I've just heard the Kelvin Thomas interivew about the defunct transfer. There are so many holes in what he is saying. Saying one thing, then realising the implications and backtracking.

I've lost a lot of respect for Thomas and Wilder through this episode. Previously I have been happy that they have been as open and honest as they could be with the supporters. With this episode, I don't believe that to be the case.
Agree, this is not a good interview - His tone just reeks of disappointment.
pottersrightboot
Brat

Re:

Post by pottersrightboot »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I've just heard the Kelvin Thomas interivew about the defunct transfer. There are so many holes in what he is saying. Saying one thing, then realising the implications and backtracking.

Cut Kelvin some slack. Yes, he hasn't been brilliant in this episode but on the whole he does a very fine job.

They had to make a decision, to inform the public or not about STFC interest. Not easy in my book.

I understand the offer was well above what I perceive his market value is. And it is not £500k GY!

Hope the new guy plays a part tomorrow ,looks like a better bet than Smalley from a distance...
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotYankee Clipper&quot wrote:

Agree, this is not a good interview - His tone just reeks of disappointment.
I thought he sounded knackered and relieved! I guess it depends which side of the fence you sit
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotpottersrightboot&quot wrote:

Cut Kelvin some slack. Yes, he hasn't been brilliant in this episode but on the whole he does a very fine job.

They had to make a decision, to inform the public or not about STFC interest. Not easy in my book.

I understand the offer was well above what I perceive his market value is. And it is not £500k GY!

Hope the new guy plays a part tomorrow ,looks like a better bet than Smalley from a distance...
At the end of the day Kelvin in an employee and by definition that means someone else pulls his strings - so if he’s told to go and explain a difficult situation on RadOx that is not of his own making he only has two choices, and one of those is to resign. We’ll even know how much of a pay rise (or not) he got this year as the accounts will be out in the public domain soon but in my book he’s as important to Oxford United right now as James Constable is.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotpottersrightboot&quot wrote:

At the end of the day Kelvin in an employee and by definition that means someone else pulls his strings - so if he’s told to go and explain a difficult situation on RadOx that is not of his own making he only has two choices, and one of those is to resign. We’ll even know how much of a pay rise (or not) he got this year as the accounts will be out in the public domain soon but in my book he’s as important to Oxford United right now as James Constable is.
Indeed: a v good chairman who is only an employee and can therefore move on to another club / business at any time. If we've still got Beano on Feb 1st, then he's on lock-down. Not so with Chairman Thomas. Anyone want to choose a better chairman than him, from the last 10 years? 20 years, then? No, didn't think so...

&quotOh, bring back the good times under Bob and his stolen cash.&quot At least we *know* whose money we're spunking away on shit loanees these days!
Andrewmaha
Brat

Post by Andrewmaha »

I hear through the mate of a colleague that Luton are on the scence.

Would only be marginally less annoying than STFC
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:&quotOh, bring back the good times under Bob and his stolen cash.&quot At least we *know* whose money we're spunking away on shit loanees these days!
I'm glad someone knows. Care to enlighten the rest of Us?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

If one good thing has come out of this whole saga, it's that we seem to have annoyed Steve Evans.

If it's true that Crawley are running out of cash, they must be pretty gutted to miss out on a million pound transfer windfall because the player couldn't agree terms!
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

no wonder they are having problems if they are paying higher wages than Blackpool!
Unbelievable!