Graves End

Anything yellow and blue
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Graves End

Post by DLT »

So what did I learn today.

Tardiff was unfortunate to be dropped. If he isn't reinstated next match then selection has no merit.

Corcorran's pace makes Gilly a better player.

Johnson's performance deserves a recall for Brevett.

Quinn was exposed to pace but he had two quality players down their left side.

Pettefer CAN play wide right in a midfield four.

Hargreaves drives me mad. Fans were moaning that Johnson hoofed all the time, but Hargreaves never makes himeself available for the pass.

Foster was quiet today, but deserves a run.

Rose. Was quiet. Not the player I was hoping for. But.....One cross,one goal.

Yemi, was a constant threat, why did he spend so much time on the bench this season.

Duffer,one chance, one goal. Three points.

Burgess. For me it is simple. If we are going to win this league we need someone with the quality of Burgess on the pitch playing well. We need class, Burgess in form can give us that.He won't give you blood and guts, but blood and guts doesn't score/create goals.

Robinson, really seems to have little impact. Mind you his bawling out the linesman over the penalty was world class.

The visible joy on the players faces at full time was great to see. Especially Gilly's reaction. That tells me the camp might be coming back together again.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: Graves End

Post by Baboo »

&quotDLT&quot wrote: Johnson's performance deserves a recall for Brevett.
If you had seen Brevett's recent performances you would not be saying that.
Johnson was okay until we reached the dieing stages of the game.
I think we need someone who is better than either of these two aged beings.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Has Brevett had the chance in a 4-4-2 formation?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Has Brevett had the chance in a 4-4-2 formation?
Probably not. But I have been very disappointed with him of late.
Mark G
Puberty

Post by Mark G »

Disagree about Tardif being dropped as the defence looks far more confident in Turley when the crosses come in. Tardif doesn't even go for crosses in his own 6 yard box and that cost us a goal against Cambridge.

Also, Tardif's distribution against R&ampD and Cambridge (didn't see Aldershot game) was appalling and put us under a lot of pressure as the midfield/forwards had to drop deeper to get the ball. While Turley's kicking was erratic yesterday it was still better than Tardif's.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I thought Turley was sloppy yesterday.

His dropping the cross was one of his 'classics'.
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

I thought Turley had a good game for someone who had been out for a while. He looked much more confident all round than Tardif did and as mentioned before his kicking, although not great (and got progressivly worse) it was much better than Tardif's (which stayed at a constant bad level). Yes he made one mistake, which perhaps if it hadn't been such an easy catch he wouldn't have made, but the defence looked more confident passing back to him as well as knowing when he'll come and collect a cross. Personally, glad he's back inbetween the sticks.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Re: Brevett.

He hadn't played well in recent games, but no-one had done for ages.

The recent upturn in performances, and hopefully now results, is down to playing 4-4-2. He should be judged in the new formation.

5-3-2 creates confusion, and the most confusing role of all is that of the wingbacks, who are expected to fulfill two roles at once. They also have two people to mark when defending, and two to beat when attacking. It's mission impossible.

Note Anaclet's massive improvement, playing either RB or RM. He's happy doing either, but not both at once.

Agree though, that I wouldn't have signed two 38 year olds to compete for the same spot. But I do think Ruf is the better option of the two.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I have only seen the Rushden and Aldeshot games recently, but Brevett gave away the free kick from which Rushden scored, and Johnson was (largely) responsible for the Aldershot goal. So, yes, it is a tough one. If anything, I feel Brevett has more fitness, but less commitment. Johnson worked hard at Aldershot but was desperately slow.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Didnt Brevitt play left back in a 442 in the game following the R&ampD match?

No abuse please, but what would the opinion be of Day at LB, once he returns from injury?