USA Tour

Anything yellow and blue
IvanTheOx
Embryo

Post by IvanTheOx »

My Uncle who was at the game said it was an even contest, but not a full blooded affair. Thought that we cruised through the game. Beano needs to sharpen up, Payne is a good player and Capaldi did well. He thought JPP looks a real player and should get as many assists as he does goals. Paterson and Worley did fine when they came on, thought they both looked half decent. His only criticism was the announcer - shut the $$$$ up is all he could say, he didn't stop talking all game!

Hopefully might get a picture or two soon.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Aside from team bonding and building links with Seacoast, I wonder the footballing merit of this tour. We are playing three matches on AstroTurf, and today's was in sweltering conditions which saw knocks / tight muscles to Asa Hall, Deane Smalley, and Simon Clist. Even sitting on the subs bench would have been draining a there was no cover. I went down to the front for five minutes before heading back to the shade at the back I'd the stand. Mass United were a level below Seacoast, and the game achieved little more than give game time to the players who didn't play 90 last week. Clarke had a couple of soft save to make. Smalley missed a sitter crossed in front of an open goal from 5 yards out, but made up for it 2nd half with a fine control and finish from an up-and-over hoof. We had several 'field goals' too as several players blazed over the bar, and we had one ricochet off the American Football goal bar too.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Well of course KT &quotbigged&quot up the tour in a brief half time interview last night
as anyone would expect him too.

I agree with Slappy. From a footballing perspective it looks a complete waste of time - an embarrassment almost. I thought we were touring parts of New England to play our games. Mass Utd are based not unsurprisingly in Massachussetts yet we ask them to travel up to New Hampshire !

We are playing all our games at the same venue in Exeter on what appears to be a dodgy gridiron astroturf surface !

Players are training and playing in 90 degree heat and of course will be prone to cramp and muscle pulls.

Yes the PR and team bonding is a positive and the players are no doubt enjoying good hospitality etc. but from a footballing angle I am disappointed.

I'll wager that CW is less than impressed with the match experience.

BRING THEM HOME

:wink:
Last edited by OUFC4eva on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IvanTheOx
Embryo

Post by IvanTheOx »

Match report from my Uncle pretty much the same as the previous game. His one major criticism is why we kicked off at 3? It was 92 degrees at game start and he said the players really struggled to get much going as the heat definitely affected them. Again playing on astro turf just doesn't do much for the lads and we will be extremely fortunate if we depart the states without at least one very serious injury. Of the players he said there wasn't that much between the squads again. Smalley missed an absolute sitter, Paterson runs the line well, he's not too sure about Tonkin but recons Josh Payne could be a future captain!

Will be happy when the lads are all back safe and sound. :D
The Boys from Up the Hill
Brat

Post by The Boys from Up the Hill »

I seem to have voiced many of the same concerns as you all have in my latest blog post!

http&#58//theboysfromupthehill&#46blogs ... on&#46html
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I stick to what I said earlier - that itÔÇÖs about team bonding and the players and (some) staff having a nice holiday. And if it does go tits up then IÔÇÖm sure Nick MerryÔÇÖs finger is in there somewhere from the past claims of a revolution when WPL took over, so we can blame him. With a bit of luck the club can learn and combine the bonding with some better on-the-pitch preparation next season.
Tabbernackle
Brat

Post by Tabbernackle »

Seeing as we'll never play in 100F. Plastic pitch, more lines on the pitch than I ever did at school, then it's a waste of time. But if the team get a bit more 'bonding' and it helps for the future then who knows.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Shame we are playing all 3 games at the same stadium. Also that we are playing two Seacoast teams although it seems they play in different leagues so I guess are different players.

At least we have the Stadium announcer with the scouse accent saying &quotOchsford&quot to entertain us.
wightyellow
Puberty

Post by wightyellow »

Pleased Clist got a game. Is wilder changing his mind - personally I do hope so.
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotIvanTheOx&quot wrote:Match report from my Uncle pretty much the same as the previous game. His one major criticism is why we kicked off at 3? It was 92 degrees at game start and he said the players really struggled to get much going as the heat definitely affected them. Again playing on astro turf just doesn't do much for the lads and we will be extremely fortunate if we depart the states without at least one very serious injury. Of the players he said there wasn't that much between the squads again. Smalley missed an absolute sitter, Paterson runs the line well, he's not too sure about Tonkin but recons Josh Payne could be a future captain!

Will be happy when the lads are all back safe and sound. :D
I'm sure the league will provide match officials and so don't think this will get him a contract
IvanTheOx
Embryo

Post by IvanTheOx »

Anyone else up listening to the game?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Good end to the tour. The evening game obviously a lot cooler and we had som rain today. Still humid by kick-off.

Seacoast were pretty average and never looked that dangerous apart from their one worked move passing and nice interplay through the defence to score.

Our starting line up of Clarke: Tonkin, Duberry, Batt, James: Hall, Payne, Clist: Smalley, Pittman, Constable.

We seemed to be experimenting a bit. Batt wasn't allowed much past the half way line first half, whereas Tonkin went further up field as an attacking winger than our midfield. Also tried Constable on the right with Smalley in the middle. Duberry solid headed clearances from defence. Pittman good at chesting down high balls and controlling them. Nice couple of goals from Smalley who wins the Golden Cheeseburger for top scorer on tour with 3.

Again we had many more chances, and although CW says the team hasn't done shooting practice, I suspect it may be difficult controlling the bounce on the AstroTurf.

Clist looked reliable in midfield and having played two matches maybe he will feature for us next year - depending on Leven, Chapman.

So who has impressed most? Duberry, JPP, Smalley. Potter had a good two games, but I think CW will prefer the three forwards from today, with Payne, Hall and Clist in midfield. Wright, Batt and one of Capaldi/Whing with Duberry.