Worley upfront???

Anything yellow and blue
Oufc2009
Brat

Worley upfront???

Post by Oufc2009 »

CW thinks it is possible to use him as a striker???

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/sport/9143 ... _up_front/

I know it partly worked for Samba at Blackburn but that is because he is a beast, and Worley is no Dion Dublin
It doesn't matter what people say, I like the 2010/2011 home shirt
DANCHU-4-OU
Baby

Agreed!

Post by DANCHU-4-OU »

To be honest, I could agree with him. Although Samba is by far bigger than Worley, Worley also seems to win the ball in the air regularly. With league 2 defenders there are not many that are actually taller than him or beasts! Only Darren Moore is a CB that could maybe beat him.

Especially if we are somehow losing, I think that 10 mins up front for Harry would give us something different with Smalley and Potter delivering crosses in.

Why not :wink:
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

This is completely old news. It's on about using Worley as an emergency striker at the end of games, which happened several times last season, and looked threating, but didn't really work massively as he never scored while playing upfront. In terms of playing him for the full 90, it seems unlikely as we have Beano, Pittman (I think), Smalley, Woodley and Craddock who can all play up front, and you'd think you'd have Potter as CF ahead of Worley as well.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

How many times did Matt Elliott actually score when used in this way? Or is it also seeing such a ploy as putting up a big target man for knock-downs, another factor for defenders to have to deal with in the closing minutes, etc?
deanwindass
Puberty

Post by deanwindass »

Definitely the latter. Such moves are invariably fairly desperate attempts to 'mix things up'
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

'Fairly desperate' sums it up fairly succinctly although 'desperate' would be more accurate!
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:How many times did Matt Elliott actually score when used in this way? Or is it also seeing such a ploy as putting up a big target man for knock-downs, another factor for defenders to have to deal with in the closing minutes, etc?
I recall Matty standing at the near post flicking the ball backwards to great effect.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I thought the more important implication was that Worley would be on the bench for most matches....... Almost as if this idea was a kind of sweetener.
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotOld Abingdonian&quot wrote:I thought the more important implication was that Worley would be on the bench for most matches....... Almost as if this idea was a kind of sweetener.
True, but weren't we to assume that anyway from the introduction of Dubes, Wright being made captain and CWs comments about needing more experience to ensure consistency? Worley will get a decent run in the team at some stage though I'm sure.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

My view is that if he were any good as a striker, he'd be a striker (given reward structures and &quotprestige&quot). How many players over the years have been genuinely adaptable like that? I can only think of Paul Warhurst, and he wasn't exactly prolific up the park.