Minutes of meeting between OxVox and OUFC

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Minutes of meeting between OxVox and OUFC

Post by Kernow Yellow »

These make slightly depressing reading at first glance. Reading between the lines there appears to be a little tension between the Trust and the club now. Is this the case?

The section regarding the 12th Man initiative is rather farcical (I hope it took up a smaller proportion of the meeting than it does of the minutes). Why is OxVox obsessing about the importance of its own role in this? Maybe the minutes make it seem more of an issue than it was, or maybe I'm reading them wrong, but there seems to be an element of vanity present.

Having said that, I was slightly shocked by the comment: &quotIt was also noted that KT stated that if OXVOX tried to take ownership of the 12th Man initiative away from all fans then the club would withdraw any support.&quot I thought the 12th Man existed to support the club, not the other way round! An especially odd comment seeing as KT later seems to invite OxVox to pay for some fairly routine stadium maintenance...

I guess it's inevitable that when the club is being well-run there isn't too much of substance for OxVox to get involved in. But my observations as an exiled life-member are that it seems to have lost its way a little. Discuss.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

What is depressing is that the meeting happened without the wider fan community knowing in advance that it was taking place, so the opportunity to pose constructive questions was more or less limited to those who attended (and their close mates).
Mark Sennett
Brat

Post by Mark Sennett »

I can assure you it was a cordial meeting with no tension and the Trust continues to have a good relationship with the club.

The 12th man didn't take up a huge amount of time it was one of many points raised. The reason the subject took up a bit of space in the notes was due to there being a few action points.

In terms ofthe questions raised many were asked following feedback from members. At our last members meeting we said we intended to meet with the club in the close season and we invited members to pose questions for us to ask.

There is still plenty for us to get involved with as a trust and several of these issues appear in the notes. On top of this we as a trust are focusing on increasing our membership and awareness about what we stand for and we welcome any feedback that any members Or non-members have on this subject.
Please sponsor the OxVox Walk to Wycombe to raise funds for Helen &amp Douglas House and the Oxford United Youth &amp Community Trust. You can donate online at www.justgiving.com/oxvox
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotMark Sennett&quot wrote:I can assure you it was a cordial meeting with no tension and the Trust continues to have a good relationship with the club.

The 12th man didn't take up a huge amount of time it was one of many points raised. The reason the subject took up a bit of space in the notes was due to there being a few action points.

In terms ofthe questions raised many were asked following feedback from members. At our last members meeting we said we intended to meet with the club in the close season and we invited members to pose questions for us to ask.

There is still plenty for us to get involved with as a trust and several of these issues appear in the notes. On top of this we as a trust are focusing on increasing our membership and awareness about what we stand for and we welcome any feedback that any members Or non-members have on this subject.
Only one typo in that one, or two if people think it should have been ‘Us’ rather than ‘us’. Either way it's good that the President of OxVox didn't get his text cleared by WPL before going public.
Mark Sennett
Brat

Post by Mark Sennett »

That's the problems with iPhones John they auto correct words and I don't have the strength to proof read forum posts if I use it. So one mistake is a nice change!

But on a serious note John you should come to our next members meeting and it's always good to hear your views.

Hopefully I will see you at the open day it would be good to catch up.
Please sponsor the OxVox Walk to Wycombe to raise funds for Helen &amp Douglas House and the Oxford United Youth &amp Community Trust. You can donate online at www.justgiving.com/oxvox
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotMark Sennett&quot wrote:I can assure you it was a cordial meeting with no tension and the Trust continues to have a good relationship with the club.

Only one typo in that one, or two if people think it should have been ‘Us’ rather than ‘us’. Either way it's good that the President of OxVox didn't get his text cleared by WPL before going public.
I'm not overly bothered about the typos but if you're going to complain about them then at least have the courtesy to pick them all up. I found four not counting the us vs Us question.

Members meeting should be members' meeting.

Focusing is an Americanism and despite the fact that spell checkers don't bother pointing it out any more, focussing is the correct spelling.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

To me the comment 'with about a year to go on Ian Lenagan’s original timetable for purchase of the ground, KT said the purchase was still a prospect' suggests that the club are being a little less bullish than in the past?

Mark, the club were estimating a profit before last season started and the crowds were probably better than had been expected. But there were reports a couple of months ago that maybe this financials weren't so good as had been predicted. Was this discussed?
Mark Sennett
Brat

Post by Mark Sennett »

Hi Paul,

It was raised in passing but no figure was mentioned. In our previous meringue with Ian Lenagan he was still confident of the club turning a profit.

As the notes show the club is positive about next season and it has increased the wage budget.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotMark Sennett&quot wrote:Hi Paul,

It was raised in passing but no figure was mentioned. In our previous meringue with Ian Lenagan he was still confident of the club turning a profit.

As the notes show the club is positive about next season and it has increased the wage budget.
Meeting? :oops:
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: Minutes of meeting between OxVox and OUFC

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:These make slightly depressing reading at first glance. Reading between the lines there appears to be a little tension between the Trust and the club now. Is this the case?

The section regarding the 12th Man initiative is rather farcical (I hope it took up a smaller proportion of the meeting than it does of the minutes). Why is OxVox obsessing about the importance of its own role in this? Maybe the minutes make it seem more of an issue than it was, or maybe I'm reading them wrong, but there seems to be an element of vanity present.

Having said that, I was slightly shocked by the comment: &quotIt was also noted that KT stated that if OXVOX tried to take ownership of the 12th Man initiative away from all fans then the club would withdraw any support.&quot I thought the 12th Man existed to support the club, not the other way round! An especially odd comment seeing as KT later seems to invite OxVox to pay for some fairly routine stadium maintenance...

I guess it's inevitable that when the club is being well-run there isn't too much of substance for OxVox to get involved in. But my observations as an exiled life-member are that it seems to have lost its way a little. Discuss.
I read them in the same way, and it is pretty clear who controlled that meeting!!

I hope the OxVox committee present told Kelvin that OxVox is not a fund raising vehicle for the club, but a means of communication between (some of) the fans and the club.

I too found rather laughable the insistence of the OxVox brand in association with 12th Man Fund. Completely unnecessary and smells a little of trying to obtain credit where it is not due.

Someone from 12th Man Fund needs to remind Kelvin that 12MF does not require the club's support, but that the club does require 12MF support.

Having said the above, I'm really pleased to see OxVox minutes much less sanitised than we were used to under Trevor &amp Co (sorry Trev!).
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Werthers Original »

Focusing is an Americanism and despite the fact that spell checkers don't bother pointing it out any more, focussing is the correct spelling.
Why do you say that? Look in any modern Oxford dictionary, you twerp!
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:
Why do you say that? Look in any modern Oxford dictionary, you twerp!
There is absolutely no need for personal insults, I did my research and chose the results I wished to publish here.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

This is subject is also being discussed on the OxVox forum :

http://forum.oxvox.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&ampt=186
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotBrahma Bull&quot wrote:This is subject is also being discussed on the OxVox forum :

http://forum.oxvox.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&ampt=186
The discussion on here is better and being viewed and contributed to by far more people.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Perhaps the point about the North Stand doors is that a fans led campaign (some of whom I think had Oxvox connections) was instrumental in getting the club to allow the home fans to be able sit nearer to the half-way line, which required work doing. So why not ask Oxvox if there are funds? Isn't one of the Objectives of a Supporters' Trust to enable the supporters to contribute to the success of the Club?