Celtic and Rangers

Anything yellow and blue
Tabbernackle
Brat

Celtic and Rangers

Post by Tabbernackle »

Why not let them in if they want. But let them go straight in the prem? No way. Best solution is relegate 4 teams from div 2 and let them start from the bottom.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Nope, if at all they should both be offered a place in the Conference North.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Nope, if at all they should both be offered a place in the Conference North.
No they flippin' shouldn't! Don't even think about it! Aaaaaaaaargh!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Nope, if at all they should both be offered a place in the Conference North.
No they flippin' shouldn't! Don't even think about it! Aaaaaaaaargh!
I'm with you on this, Hog.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

Sort of agree, but why restrict it to just Celtic and Rangers as Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen et al would be disadvantaged along with any other Scottish club who have say, more than a few hundred season ticket holders. And if the SNP get their way and the Union is broken up then chuck 'em out pronto.

//

Good result again today in Cardiff for the England and Wales Cricket Board I note...
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: Celtic and Rangers

Post by Hog »

&quotTabbernackle&quot wrote:Why not let them in if they want. But let them go straight in the prem? No way. Best solution is relegate 4 teams from div 2 and let them start from the bottom.
Best for who? Certainly not the two clubs you appear willing to sacrifice! Oh, and in case you've forgotten already, Division 2 is NOT the bottom!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

See my suggestion on another thread for what the Scottish League should do (ie. join up with Belgium, Neths, Austria &amp Wales to form a Superleague above each of their current top divisions) if the Old Firm really do want to raise the quality of their opposition.

Wherever you insert them, other domestic clubs will miss out i) the two that are displaced from each division below to accomodate them and ii) those that miss out on promotion each year that these two 'pass through' (presuming they actually do). Also by only taking these two out (and not introducing a means by which other Scottish clubs can progress to similar levels (ie. the North Europe Superleague or a path into the English League) then that destroys the setup up there.

Also, what happens with European qualification - how will these two cope with the period where their league position means they do not qualify for Europe?

Unnecessary non-starter for me!
wightyellow
Puberty

Post by wightyellow »

just a not thought through idea but

why dont they pop their reserves in the northern unibond happy shopper league and do an AFC Wimbledon then?
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
Peterorange
Puberty

Post by Peterorange »

Seems strange that Wales have two teams in the English league, and Scotland aren't allowed in. Should be more consistent, one way or another.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotPeterorange&quot wrote:Seems strange that Wales have two teams in the English league, and Scotland aren't allowed in. Should be more consistent, one way or another.
They've been there since virtually the start (both more than 90|| years in the English pyramid), and have worked their respective ways up (and in Wrexham and Newport's case, down). The Scottish teams have always been in Scotland.

Seems perfectly consistent to me!
wightyellow
Puberty

Re:

Post by wightyellow »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:
&quotPeterorange&quot wrote:Seems strange that Wales have two teams in the English league, and Scotland aren't allowed in. Should be more consistent, one way or another.
They've been there since virtually the start (both more than 90|| years in the English pyramid), and have worked their respective ways up (and in Wrexham and Newport's case, down). The Scottish teams have always been in Scotland.

Wasnt Merthyr in the Englaish league at one point?

Also, isn't Berwick in England with them playing in the Scottish Happy Shopper Leauge?

I think I remember Gretna playing in the FA cup and giving Bolton a hell of a scare as well.

Its all bobbins.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotwightyellow&quot wrote:
&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:

Wasnt Merthyr in the Englaish league at one point?

Also, isn't Berwick in England with them playing in the Scottish Happy Shopper Leauge?

I think I remember Gretna playing in the FA cup and giving Bolton a hell of a scare as well.

Its all bobbins.
And also Aberdare Athletic, for all you trivia buffs out there.

Since you bring the subject up - was there ever a rise so meteoric (and then fall so calamitous) as Gretna FC? Outdoes Northampton in the late 60s, Carlisle in the 70s and then Swansea themselves in the 80s by a country mile.
wightyellow
Puberty

Post by wightyellow »

Wolves, Man City...
Tabbernackle
Brat

Post by Tabbernackle »

Since the Welsh F A did'nt want play ball with us over the Blatter vote, (Scotland did) We should say to them 'take Swansea and Cardiff into your fold and we'll let 2 Scotish team in instead!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotTabbernackle&quot wrote:Since the Welsh F A did'nt want play ball with us over the Blatter vote, (Scotland did) We should say to them 'take Swansea and Cardiff into your fold and we'll let 2 Scotish team in instead!
Nice one.