Testimonial match

Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Testimonial match

Post by Hog »

Surprised there's been no mention of it so far. Delighted that Dave Langan might make a few quid but not sure Joey is quite so deserving as he earned enough from his West Ham move to buy a house with cash and we've all read how he gamboled and apparently lost the rest. Maybe Langan frittered money his away too (I don't know) but I'm much more sympathetic to his cause as a reported cripple as opposed to Joey whose toe hurts (but not enough to stop him playing football, albeit at a lot lower level than he should have been).

Shoot me down ...
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Joey is deserving based upon his long service and considerable contribution to his home town club. Whilst Langan's service was somewhat shorter, his efforts were significant to the extent that his current predicament is a consequence.

Neither were / are saints in their personal lives, but from a footballing perspective, both equally deserving of the recognition and a few quid.

I'm pleased for and supportive of both.
yellowportly
Brat

Post by yellowportly »

I'll happily stand and applaud both blokes for their contribution to this club, and I'm glad that they've both been recognised.

The reason I can forgive Joey is well illustrated at 1:39 in this clip
http&#58//www&#46youtube&#46com/watch?v=NiRX3gOefpM
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
Belgian Yellow
Toddler

Post by Belgian Yellow »

Langan = legend.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Both deserve it for different reasons.

Langan was a terrific player for us who gave his all (great signing by Jim Smith as player of the season the previous year- Paul Hinshelwood was replace).

Joey was one of the most brilliant and entertaining players to play for United. Played for his home club for many years and only wanted to play for his home club. Fantastic memories of a terrific player.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

You don't usually get a testimonial for being poor, it's for being good and giving long service. Joey's pretty much our best-ever player and Langan a legend, so it's well deserved
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

And lets not forget Joey earnt £1 million for the club as well as sparking the run to get us promoted.

He also cost the Scum £850,000 and gave very little to them in return. He was a class above for us a geniune top drawer player and made many people including myself fall in love with Oxford United. He was probably the only player in recent times who only wanted to play for his home town club and turned down a number of moves away, a true Oxford United great.

Never saw Dave Langen play but clearly he is also very deserving.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re: Testimonial match

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Surprised there's been no mention of it so far. Delighted that Dave Langan might make a few quid but not sure Joey is quite so deserving as he earned enough from his West Ham move to buy a house with cash and we've all read how he gamboled and apparently lost the rest. Maybe Langan frittered money his away too (I don't know) but I'm much more sympathetic to his cause as a reported cripple as opposed to Joey whose toe hurts (but not enough to stop him playing football, albeit at a lot lower level than he should have been).

Shoot me down ...
Ok, I think both as servants to the club are very deserving of this testimonial and to question Joey's right on these grounds is a little spiteful and distasteful IMO
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

In the history of OUFC, has any player made a greater contribution than Joey?

&gt 400 appearances, £1 million in transfer fees and, on his day, world class performances.
Peterorange
Puberty

Post by Peterorange »

&quotYankee Clipper&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote:Surprised there's been no mention of it so far. Delighted that Dave Langan might make a few quid but not sure Joey is quite so deserving as he earned enough from his West Ham move to buy a house with cash and we've all read how he gamboled and apparently lost the rest. Maybe Langan frittered money his away too (I don't know) but I'm much more sympathetic to his cause as a reported cripple as opposed to Joey whose toe hurts (but not enough to stop him playing football, albeit at a lot lower level than he should have been).

Shoot me down ...
Ok, I think both as servants to the club are very deserving of this testimonial and to question Joey's right on these grounds is a little spiteful and distasteful IMO
Agree. Its not about making them a few quid (although that is a by-product), it is about honouring their contribution to the Yellows. And they have both contributed greatly in their own way.

And it is so good to have a club where those in charge are both planning for the future and aware of the past. If they keep doing that we won't go far wrong.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotportly&quot wrote:I'll happily stand and applaud both blokes for their contribution to this club, and I'm glad that they've both been recognised.

What a match that was, I remember ending up in 5th Avenue (oh yes!) with most of the London Road despite the fact it was a Wednesday night.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

&quotYankee Clipper&quot wrote:

Shoot me down ...
YC, I don't understand what you mean by spiteful? I just commented that I don't think Joey is as deserving as Langan, although I appreciate it is/was traditional to offer a testimonial to a player with 10 years service. If I was being spiteful I might have urged people not to contribute but I didn't (and wouldn't) as people are quite capable of making their own decision! Personally I think he has probably made a good amount of money out of OUFC supporters in the past and squandered a lot of it (as is his right I suppose) and so personally I don't feel inclined to give him any more. Is that distasteful?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:And lets not forget Joey earnt £1 million for the club as well as sparking the run to get us promoted.

He also cost the Scum £850,000 and gave very little to them in return. He was a class above for us a geniune top drawer player and made many people including myself fall in love with Oxford United. He was probably the only player in recent times who only wanted to play for his home town club and turned down a number of moves away, a true Oxford United great.
That's the romantic view!

It could be argued that he only wanted to play for OUFC because that's what suited him to the extent that he was prepared to humiliate himself(not once but twice) to get back!

And laughing at the fact that he cost Slumdon £775k net only glosses over the fact that this dyed-in-the-wool Oxford fan signed for the team down the A420 (personally that doesn't bother me too much as I can't be doing with all this Sc*m business, but you know what the majority verdict and attitude is on that ...)

And as for turning down moves away, do you mean that time when the the club staff hadn't been paid for 10 weeks and three clubs (Southampton, Fulham, Forest was it?) offered £200k for him which would have eased the cash flow problem somewhat and kept the club he loved going for a few more months?

I know I'll probably get a lot of flack for offering an alternative view so I'll just clarify that I agree that Joey was one of the finest players to pull on an Oxford shirt in my time (since the late 70's) and I enjoyed the excitement and exhilaration he provided as much as the rest of you and I wish him and his family all the best for the future but I don't feel inclined to pay any more for it. I'm sure the rest of you will do as you see fit.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

This is a very dodgy thread to comment upon.

Dave and Joey led very different lives. Both of them are footballing heroes to me, but only one of them had it in their control to make their life better.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:
&quotportly&quot wrote:I'll happily stand and applaud both blokes for their contribution to this club, and I'm glad that they've both been recognised.

What a match that was, I remember ending up in 5th Avenue (oh yes!) with most of the London Road despite the fact it was a Wednesday night.
Oh yes indeed, great night. In fact it was about the only time I went to 5th Avenue that Joey WASN'T in there! Does it still exist?