Brat

new signing

Post by womble »

united have signed laurence gaughan a centre back
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Ex Sheff Utd, Liverpool and Celtic.

Liverpool signed him in 2006, Celtic signed him from Liverpool 2007, He was released by Celtic last year (09) and has spent time in the USA.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

It really annoys me when clubs try to fool their supporters by saying ex-Sheffield United, Liverpool and Celtic as if he made an impression at any of those places. The closest he probably got to their first team was nearly being knocked over by a millionaire in a Mercedes with tinted glass sweeping into the training ground car park at 30mph above the safe speed for the area! It's sooooo non-league*

*And I should know because I used to do it 30 years ago in the Oxford City programme when the latest ex-Luton/ex-Watford/ex-Bournemouth** reserve team releasee (did i just make up a new word?) arrived.

**And there was a lot of those! (Although to be fair like, Bobby Moore made it a bit more interesting by signing the likes of Harry Redknap, Kieran Baker, John Fraser and Phil Beal who we had heard of!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotHog&quot wrote:It really annoys me when clubs try to fool their supporters by saying ex-Sheffield United, Liverpool and Celtic as if he made an impression at any of those places. The closest he probably got to their first team was nearly being knocked over by a millionaire in a Mercedes with tinted glass sweeping into the training ground car park at 30mph above the safe speed for the area! It's sooooo non-league*

*And I should know because I used to do it 30 years ago in the Oxford City programme when the latest ex-Luton/ex-Watford/ex-Bournemouth** reserve team releasee (did i just make up a new word?) arrived.

**And there was a lot of those! (Although to be fair like, Bobby Moore made it a bit more interesting by signing the likes of Harry Redknap, Kieran Baker, John Fraser and Phil Beal who we had heard of!
I have to admit that there is an element of over-hype and not much substance in the story that was released today, but to be fair to the club we don’t have a proper spinmeister right now.

If we did then (s)he would put up something along the lines of “Oxford United are dreaming of a Green Christmas
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

He also 'played for' Sheffield FC and has represented Ireland at Under 17 and Under 19 level. If things don't work out he will be Gaughan in a month.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotHog&quot wrote:It really annoys me when clubs try to fool their supporters by saying ex-Sheffield United, Liverpool and Celtic as if he made an impression at any of those places. The closest he probably got to their first team was nearly being knocked over by a millionaire in a Mercedes with tinted glass sweeping into the training ground car park at 30mph above the safe speed for the area! It's sooooo non-league*

Yeahh! You tell 'em! Exactly what I thought when we signed Jim Magilton.

Oh.... shit.

(for the record, was captain of Liverpool Reserves and his record: played 0, scored 0. His record for us: Played 150, scored 34)

I'm fucking sick of people coming on here an judging players by their past record, esp when they don't really have one. Honestly, sit back and let the management make a judgement. If they get it wrong, they lose their job. And we get upset and disappointed. And then that is the time to make a judgement.

Until then, cut some slack. There seems to be an enormous amount of negativity on the forum these days. People, chill out.

&quotI call it, the Camberwell Carrot&quot...
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

A complete aside, but that is without doubt the best film ever.

&quotThere are gonna be a lot of refugees!&quot
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:

Oh.... shit.

(for the record, was captain of Liverpool Reserves and his record: played 0, scored 0. His record for us: Played 150, scored 34)

I'm fucking sick of people coming on here an judging players by their past record, esp when they don't really have one. Honestly, sit back and let the management make a judgement. If they get it wrong, they lose their job. And we get upset and disappointed. And then that is the time to make a judgement.

Until then, cut some slack. There seems to be an enormous amount of negativity on the forum these days. People, chill out.

Crikey! That's a monumental over-reaction of epic proportions! I didn't judge Gaughan or any other player, I made a comment about how clubs at lower levels (including OUFC yesterday) gild the lily when they sign some nipper who used to train with a 'big' club but never actually played for them. I never made a comment about his ability or potential and I won't until I've seem him play a few times (assuming he does get a few games!). As you so rightly say he doesn't have a record, any record, to judge him on!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:

Oh.... shit.

Crikey! That's a monumental over-reaction of epic proportions! I didn't judge Gaughan or any other player, I made a comment about how clubs at lower levels (including OUFC yesterday) gild the lily when they sign some nipper who used to train with a 'big' club but never actually played for them. I never made a comment about his ability or potential and I won't until I've seem him play a few times (assuming he does get a few games!). As you so rightly say he doesn't have a record, any record, to judge him on!
I think there is a valid question to ask about whether we should be signing this type of player.

Have him on trial to see if he is going to be good enough, sure no problem, but actually signing him means the club is paying him a wage when he may turn out to be useless. A wage that might be better spent on someone with an actual record worthy of mention. We're not a big enough club to risk wasting money.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

For crying out loud, he's on a week by week contract according to the Oxford Mail. I somehow doubt this is a £1000/pw contract either. It's clear, to me at least, that he's here as cheap cover as we're a bit short on centre halves if Franks is injured. The most likely course of events for him is he'll be on the bench, might play a couple of reserve games if there are any and will be shipped out once we get our defenders back. Unless he catches the eye in training.

Arguably a rather more cost effective signing than getting someone in on loan for a month.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Is it not a fact that he was on the books of those clubs? No-one's over egging it - they're not saying he starred for Liverpool or was a Celtic legend.

Silly reaction.
OXUFC4Life
Toddler

Post by OXUFC4Life »

Take it Creighton wont be back then.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:For crying out loud, he's on a week by week contract according to the Oxford Mail. I somehow doubt this is a £1000/pw contract either. It's clear, to me at least, that he's here as cheap cover as we're a bit short on centre halves if Franks is injured. The most likely course of events for him is he'll be on the bench, might play a couple of reserve games if there are any and will be shipped out once we get our defenders back. Unless he catches the eye in training.

Arguably a rather more cost effective signing than getting someone in on loan for a month.
Easy tiger!

You've based your over excited reply, to a couple of minor points questioning (not slating) the actions of the club, entirely on supposition and a few words from the often unreliable Oxford Mail.

The club doesn't have money to waste, and the club shouldn't be trying to pull the wool about the signing of an inexperienced defender, and it is entirely legitimate to question (not slate) the club's actions.

This isn't North Korea, so we don't have to simply accept what we are told! It is perfectly healthy to question decisions.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote: It's clear, to me at least, that he's here as cheap cover as we're a bit short on centre halves if Franks is injured.
No mention of the Rage Online sponsored Henry Owen in this debate. 19 yr old centre half - now on loan at Banbury? Gaughan is still only 20. Just saying.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotIsaac&quot wrote: It's clear, to me at least, that he's here as cheap cover as we're a bit short on centre halves if Franks is injured.
No mention of the Rage Online sponsored Henry Owen in this debate. 19 yr old centre half - now on loan at Banbury? Gaughan is still only 20. Just saying.
Careful Baboo, the thought police will come and getcha!