Ruddy Hooligans.

Anything yellow and blue
wightyellow
Puberty

Ruddy Hooligans.

Post by wightyellow »

This is quite interesting in my sad mind. It would be good for someone (and not me!) to match this against average attendances.... :D

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio ... iew=Binary
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

Ajax?
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

The ones that stand out for me are Newport and Grimsby, when you consider their number of banning orders relative to their attendances. For the season in question, Newport were getting sub-1000 attendances in the Blue Square South, and Grimsby were getting themselves relegated from Division 4 with attendances of about 4,000.

Amazed that Stephen Hedge had a big fat zero when you consider how chavvy and braindead their fans usually appear when they play us. Well done to them, I suppose.

Also highly amused by AFC Wimbledon's achievement of 4 - not bad for a club which is generally considered to be about as sedate and middle class as it's possible to be!
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Not sure you can draw too many conclusions from this sort of analysis. First, arrests just show how many people have been caught, but not necessarily convicted second, we all know that different police forces have different levels of tolerance, so figures from different parts of the country may well reflect that, rather than how many naughty people follow those clubs.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Makes one wonder how many other 'data collators' and 'statistic generators' exist elsewhere in Whitehall if the output is of questionable value.....
malcolmnl
Baby

Post by malcolmnl »

There are...

lies
damn lies
statistics and
governmment spin.
Tax payer 'til I die. And then some!
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Queries about the data noted and using Football365's attendance averages for 2009-2010:

if you combine last year's league one and two, there's a 0.60 correlation between arrests and average crowd - but that is largely driven by league one (correl 0.63) with league two less obviously related (0.27). The bad boys in terms of arrests per crowd in league two were Grimsby and Port Vale, with Chesterfield a long way back in third). Tranmere beat Millwall for top badboy spot in league one, with Exeter and the Scummers third and fourth ahead of Leeds. Combining them, the Grimsby and Port Vale ratios are higher than those of Tranmere and Millwall. Based on last season, we'd be mid-table, level with Northampton in 12th
Last edited by Ancient Colin on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Not sure you can draw too many conclusions from this sort of analysis. First, arrests just show how many people have been caught, but not necessarily convicted second, we all know that different police forces have different levels of tolerance, so figures from different parts of the country may well reflect that, rather than how many naughty people follow those clubs.
Oy, give the stattos a break, it's pretty interesting stuff nonetheless.

We CAN conclude Leeds Cardiff and Millwall have a very unsavoury significant hooligan element. :wink:
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Queries about the data noted and using Football365's attendance averages for 2009-2010:

if you combine last year's league one and two, there's a 0.60 correlation between arrests and average crowd - but that is largely driven by league one (correl 0.63) with league two less obviously related (0.27). The bad boys in terms of arrests per crowd in league two were Grimsby and Port Vale, with Chesterfield a long way back in third). Tranmere beat Millwall for top badboy spot in league one, with Exeter and the Scummers third and fourth ahead of Leeds. Combining them, the Grimsby and Port Vale ratios are higher than those of Tranmere and Millwall. Based on last season, we'd be mid-table, level with Northampton in 12th
And in terms of the absolute values, I wonder how many of Cardiff and Swansea's arrests came at the two games between those clubs? How many of Grimsby's came as the season drew to a close and relegation became more likely? (Not offering that as an excuse, merely a possible reason). What are the standard deviations in attendances and arrests in each Division, by the way?
wightyellow
Puberty

Post by wightyellow »

In the championship, I thought QPR's rate looked high considering their attendances.
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

It would be far more interesting to plot a graph of arrests v. the street price of cocaine.