Absolute rubbish

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Absolute rubbish

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Bloody 'ell that was some crap yesterday.

Can barely think of a good thing to say.

Our crossing was absolutely woeful.
We were non-existant in the final third.
Defence was all over the shop.
And midfield didn't turn up.

And some very dozy prats in the crowd thinking attempting to attack the opposing crowd will make us play better.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Well another joyful trip up North. This time on the bargain East Coast line from King's Cross via Leeds. £10.50 travelcard to London, £20 for singles to Leeds and back, and £3.60 return to Bradford, although I later found I could have added Bradford onto the East Coast tickets for an extra £1.

Another train, another bizarre set of instructions to operate the lock in the loos. &ltPress close, wait for the lock button to flash for three seconds, press lock&gt As I was waiting in the queue, cue the door opening unexpectedly to one occupant, and on my visit, trying to lock the door resulting in it opening again as I pressed the lock/unlock button too early, before finally sussing it out.

I'd always thought of Leeds and Bradford as one big conurbation, but the short journey showed a green and pleasant land, with green fields, streams and stone walls. The nearer we got to Bradford, I was reminded of Gravesend and Northfleet, with housing estates built on the top of hills. As we approached Bradford itself were views of grassed over ex-pit workings on the hills, but nearer the city was the depressing identikit out-of-town warehouse shopping centre of Halfords, JJBs, Comet and Tescos.

We arrived at Bradford Forster Square and weren't sure where to go for pre-match refreshments. Tried walking towards the ground, found a pub but it was generic lager and John Smiths and Yeovil. Remembering the advice to try the Corn Dolly, we asked a few locals who pointed us in the wrong direction, but amazingly I found the Maps app on the i-phone does actually work and not only did it find the pub, but was able to show us the walking route and time of 12 minutes for 1/2 a mile. We got to the Corn Dolly up some very croooked steps to avoid a hairpin road route, and was pleasantly surprised to find several friendly faces in there already who had caught the earlier train, and predictably it was only a short walk from the station too.

They had a decent range of real ales, although London Pride and Black Sheep are already familiar so gave them a miss. Also they sold the City Gent fanzine, which is nice to see that paper fanzines are still around. The landlord was most apologetic about my 30 second wait to get served, blaming a bar-man who had called in sick.

Valley Parade was an odd view approaching from the station. It seems to be hanging off the side of the hill like the villains lair from a James Bond film, with 2 huge stands sweeping in a boxed in curve round the side of the pitch and behind one goal.

Once navigated through the maze of stairways and entrances to the stadium, we were in half of a relatively small stand (although it is probably as big as our North Stand). It was a decent seated view too.

The home support was spread across their 3 1/2 stands, with a mix of their singing fans behind both goals, but the liveliest seemed to be in the top tier of the smallest stand to our left.

A number of big flags were displayed in areas of empty seating to remember the victims of 1985. It was very strange imagining the wooden stand in what is now a big capacity all-seater ground and took me back to watching the tragedy unfold live on was it World of Sport on that Saturday afternoon, initial reports coming in of a small fire amongst half-time match-day reports from around the country, followed by the horrific scenes broadcast.

As for the game, the first half was about even I thought. &quotSacked in the morning&quot, we sang to Peter Taylor, and I'm not sure the Bradford fans didn't join in too. Taylor jovially waved back at us - presumably using this as his inspiration for the half-time team talk.

Wilder seemed to have used the bromine soaked tea-bags for halftime, as yet again we capitulated. Two nil down and we had a chance, but the retaken Penalty, followed by the sendings off finished the game as a contest.

A few idiots apparently tried to cross the netting, which always seems a waste of time as they never reach the opposition, yet can afterwards claim to have had a go.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

after trying to modify my original post for inaccuracies and additions, it seems the forum has snaffled my last few paragraphs

Somehow this didn't seem as bad as Macclesfield, and led by Jack Midson, the players came across to applaud our support.

We headed back to the station and on to Leeds, reminiscing about previous bad defeats, but surprisingly upbeat.

Still, I would rather be losing 5-0 to Bradford in the football league, than winning away at Histon in the Conference. As someone else commented, we could have been winning at home to Bath City.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

A Left-Back who has been AWOL for the last four games, did four goals really come from our full back position?

A midfield which was AGAIN, out of its depth. Asa Hall, WTF? Richie Baker was even more embarassing!

We need to get some help to Beano before we manage to drive him out of the club with the burden of him and only him, able to create and score goals for us.

A complete shambles which made me think we need only eleven more wins to make sure we remain in this league! Can we do it? :?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotBrahma Bull&quot wrote:A Left-Back who has been AWOL for the last four games, did four goals really come from our full back position?

A midfield which was AGAIN, out of its depth. Asa Hall, WTF? Richie Baker was even more embarassing!

We need to get some help to Beano before we manage to drive him out of the club with the burden of him and only him, able to create and score goals for us.

A complete shambles which made me think we need only eleven more wins to make sure we remain in this league! Can we do it? :?
Before we all get too distraught, at half time speaking to a number of fellow fans the general mood was that we had been the better side (in a poor first half) and would get a point, maybe nick a win. OK the first goal was poor defending, the second though was a bloody good weaving run and shot! Poor defending ensued (from Jake Wright of all people) for the pen and how many times have you seen a retake ordered - not many. Goals 4 &amp 5 were scored when we had 9 knackered players and so are irrelevant. We had a shocking 15 minutes and sometimes it just isn't your day.

That said, Tuesday night is important because I don't fancy us at Rotherham in the following league game and so we do need to pick up some home points.

Based on the first third of the season, I'd say our position is about right. I think the panicmongering on here is more to do with a dread of returning to the delights of the Conference than a real belief that we could be headed there.

At the final whistle yesterday, I said to my friend that I'd rather lose at Bradford than win at Grays and I meant it.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Talking of winning at Grays - let's look at the 2010 calendar year.

Since we won there 0-4 in January we have only won on the road in the 'league' on TWO other occasions.

0-1 at Altrincham in April and 0-2 at Hereford in September. I am ignoring the win at Chelmsford in the FAT and the victory at 'neutral' Wembley.

'League&quot defeats have occurred at Luton, Stevenage, Hayes, Eastbourne, Macclesfield and Bradford.

Draws have occurred at Cambridge, Tamworth, Rushden, Rushden PO, Burton, Wycombe, Crewe and Cheltenham.

THREE WINS IN 17 MATCHES AWAY FROM OXFORD - you could then add in the cup defeats at West Ham, Aldershot (JPT) and a win at Chelmsford makes it 4 wins in 20 aways in 2010 so far with games to come at Rotherham, Chesterfield, Lincoln and Stevenage.

We have to improve on our travels.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

In the words of Lloyd Grossman &quotLet's have a look at the evidence&quot:

Stevenage and Luton. Both better teams than us at time, so no shock there. Although the Luton one was v v v close to not being a loss, as you may recall.

Hayes was a disgrace, not helped by a Sunday League Referee...

Eastborne doesn't count, as CW was resting players pre-playoffs. And what a good idea that chose to be.

As for losses in the league away from home this season, the only real major embarrassment was on Sat. But is this more or less embarrassing than losing away at Hayes? I'd say less, we'd just got numb to the pain of losses like that. Plus, it wasn't all over the national press and television, however small the print or late night the TV show.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Good post that ^^^^^^^^
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:Talking of winning at Grays - let's look at the 2010 calendar year.

Since we won there 0-4 in January we have only won on the road in the 'league' on TWO other occasions.

0-1 at Altrincham in April and 0-2 at Hereford in September. I am ignoring the win at Chelmsford in the FAT and the victory at 'neutral' Wembley.

'League&quot defeats have occurred at Luton, Stevenage, Hayes, Eastbourne, Macclesfield and Bradford.

Draws have occurred at Cambridge, Tamworth, Rushden, Rushden PO, Burton, Wycombe, Crewe and Cheltenham.

THREE WINS IN 17 MATCHES AWAY FROM OXFORD - you could then add in the cup defeats at West Ham, Aldershot (JPT) and a win at Chelmsford makes it 4 wins in 20 aways in 2010 so far with games to come at Rotherham, Chesterfield, Lincoln and Stevenage.

We have to improve on our travels.
I would see we have to improve home and away.

My main concern is that Wilder has signed too many non-descript central midfielders, who neither provide the stubborn resistance defensively, nor the creative flair going forward. Heslop I exclude from this.

For me players like Hall, Baker, Payne are all too similar and insufficiently talented to progress us.

That coupled with the abomination formation that we play particularly going forward, lie at the heart of the reason why we are not pushing on.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I am normally a 'glass half full' supporter, and by inclination a loyalist, but I was sorely disappointed by Saturday, probably accentuated by the 400 mile round trip. The performance really wasn't good enough.

Firstly, discipline: Creighton is supposed to be one of the senior players, and the foul on Osborne was dreadful, lucky not to cause serious injury. It seemed to be done out of frustration, and if so, then his whole attitude needs to be challenged. Can't comment on Wright, because I didn't see clearly enough.

Secondly, midfield. Heslop and Hall have been weak recently, and seemed to have few ideas and not much drive on Saturday. Is Clist fit?

Thirdly, both the first to goals, and the attack which led to their penalty, came down their right. What does Kinniburgh have to do to get a game? What is CW's selection policy? I was glad to see Creighton starting, because he did well against Northampton, but are Hall and Tonkin's names inked in for the season?

Uurgh.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Creighton's scything effort at a tackle from behind that resulted in his dismissal was both reckless and dangerous and showed a lack or respect for his opponent and his team mates.

I trust he will be hit hard in the pocket for that.

Creighton looked like a non-league hatchet man at Bradford.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotOld Abingdonian&quot wrote:Thirdly, both the first to goals, and the attack which led to their penalty, came down their right. What does Kinniburgh have to do to get a game? What is CW's selection policy? I was glad to see Creighton starting, because he did well against Northampton, but are Hall and Tonkin's names inked in for the season?
This is the bit that worries, me, because although I have the utmost respect for Wilder, the man who got us out of the Conference, if he has one fault it is that he has shown a tendency to stick with his favourites for too long when their form dips.

Not panicking yet though - as someone pointed out, we failed to take our chances, which is a know problem, in the first half when we were the better team, and the second half we lost 2-0 || a ridiculous retaken pen, plus two goals during 10v9 garbage non-football.

BTW, I'd totally forgotten Bradford's couple of seasons in the Premiership (after Windass went there of course). That's a long old fall in a decade I reckon their fans deserve the odd 5-0 versus a &quotConference upstart&quot once in a while.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotOUFC4eva&quot

Creighton looked like a non-league hatchet man at Bradford.[/quote]

Not in the first half he didn't. Our defence for the most part in the first 45 mins looked assured and in control.
They were not given much protection by the midfield three.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
For me players like Hall, Baker, Payne are all too similar and insufficiently talented to progress us.
I'd disagree about Payne GY. He looks a class act to me (and only 19 so a lot more to come). He can win a tackle and for once, we have a footballer who is prepared to shoot and sometimes even on target! Hall I still don't know about, is he the one who mops up a la Bulman? Baker - not up to it, I imagine he'll be gone in January.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
I'd disagree about Payne GY. He looks a class act to me (and only 19 so a lot more to come). He can win a tackle and for once, we have a footballer who is prepared to shoot and sometimes even on target! Hall I still don't know about, is he the one who mops up a la Bulman? Baker - not up to it, I imagine he'll be gone in January.
Yes I was going to make the same pojnt about Payne, looks a very good prospect and seems to have a bit more dynamism than the others. Hall, though, has been the flop signing I feared he might be.